Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Monitoring/Automation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Welcome to the nightly "Auto SOC" club!

Now your next frustration is figuring out what levels to set the SOC target to based off the Met Eireann forecast. I found for me that the best way to chomp it into blocks of 10%. E.g. if my estimated yield for tomorrow is

Under 5Kwhr then set to 90% (I always like to give it a little buffer to take what it can from the sun early morning)

5kwhr then set to 80%

6Kwh then set to 70%

7Kwh then set to 60%

etc

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

This isn't my first rodeo! 20kwh battery. 11kwp

This was for my dad's inverter. I dare say a 60% charge would get them through most days.

I'm charging to 100% as the tank can absorb whatever these days can throw at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,669 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Just to give an update this has been working perfect. I setup an automation to enable and disable grid charging on Saturday and everything is working perfectly. I just had to increase the charge limit slightly on the inverter to ensure the SOC by the end of the window was 100%. My discharge limit is set to 12%. Thanks again for all the help assisting me getting this setup.

This is more of a generic HA question

I am currently running it on a laptop using VMware Workstation Pro using bridged network and able to connect from the laptop to the HA console on port 8123. Would like to move it to a Pi but can't get hold of one at the moment.

I am able to ping HA from another laptop on the local network but not able to connect to the UI on port 8123.

Am I missing something I cannot figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Use https://rpilocator.com/ to camp for one or buy the CM4s and pair them with one of these bad boys https://www.crowdsupply.com/nabu-casa/home-assistant-yellow

Not sure what's up with the ports but I suspect related to the VM stuff, you're better off running it in docker instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭S'

I'm having issues reading certain solis inverter registers over rs485.

The imported/exported today/yesterday registers are reading zero all of a sudden.

These were reading fine up until a few days ago. Is it a CT issue?

Hot water cylinder is heating fine when exporting to grid.

11.2kWp E/W split arra. Mayo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Benefit of using the python auto-charge script vs appdaemon and an automation? I'm basically doing a similar thing but using the appdaemon passthrough in an automation. I can see the log if there are any issues etc. how would you see this with the python script?

Weekend tinkering

Ugh... Damn you.. gonna have to get one of them screens

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Don't have any ESP32 devices (yet). Need to find a nice case or something even remotely toddler proof. M5Stack seems to be about the only option without going down 3D printing route.

• Advertisement

What screen is it?

Able to write a bit more about it?

It's an ILI9341 2.8" same as the link above, you get them on amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Over on solis Facebook I managed to find an email to request more frequent app updates. But no reply despite a chaser.

I have the new dongle so can’t use the solarman thing. 5 minute updates is utterly trash.

any ideas what I can do?

😎

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Ditch the logger and read Modbus directly from the RS485 port?

Curious if anyone here has a SunSynk inverter and managed to run automations/remote modbus on it?

Seems to be using solarman for their sticks so maybe it's similar enough to the Solis.

I am not opposed to trying. No idea about modbus though.

my WiFi router is also one meter away, is there a fix where I could plug into that?

😎

I have found a few solutions online:

https://github.com/kellerza/sunsynk make your own rs485 cable and I like the fact you can run this on your Home Assistant server

https://solar-assistant.io/help/deye/configuration - which seems to be a lot simpler to get up and going (but more expensive) and allows easy integration with Home Assistant too and you can even connect directly to the batteries to get a lot more data from them https://solar-assistant.io/help/battery/dyness

Probably best to use their cables but I assume customs will shaft us big time with anything coming from South Africa.

Only thing I don't like is that it requires another rpi device dedicated to just this.

Going to have to do some reading on HA!!

😎

Having this issue the past number of weeks and unable to get to find a solution. I’ve posted on Solis FB group but to no avail.

My imported/exported data has been reading zero the past number of weeks. Everting else is reading ok. Daily/monthly data totalising fine. I am reading data directly from the inverter over rs485. I’ve plugged in the WiFi dongle to take the below image. Any thoughts to what might be the issue?

If you are logging the data directly, with the wifi module plugged out.. the solis app won't see any import or export.

• Advertisement

Yes, I understand that. I thought it maybe an issue with the polling the registers so I plugged in the dongle into the inverter for a few days but still no data registers on the app

There is a acrel acr10r energy monitor connected to the rs485 port on the inverter. Is this what the inverter looks at to get the import/export totals?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

I've a grafana/home-assistant question for you all -

I'd like to log the number of imported day and night units using the data from my solis inverter - at the moment I have:

1) Scraping the energy imported (daily and total) from my inverter. This is a constantly increasing KWh counter for the total, and a daily resetting counter for the daily.

2) A 'is night rate' variable being generated by home assistant

3) I combined 1 and 2, using the utility meter to generate per-hour energy usage entities for day and night rate. The day rate entity zeros data if 'is nigh rate' is set, and vice versa for the night rate entity.

4) I can plot these in Grafana, with energy usage per hour, which is zeroed appropriately during the day/night rate periods - using:

|> filter(fn: (r) => r["friendly_name"] == "energy_hourly_day_rate")
      |> filter(fn: (r) => r["_field"] == "value")
      |> aggregateWindow(every: 1h, fn: last, createEmpty: false)

The code above uses the 'last' function as the utility meter hourly summary gives multiple points per hour, but the last value is the result for that hour

The question is - how could I summarise to a single value per day of day Kwh used and night Kwh used ? I

You want to set up an utility meter for your day/night tariffs, that one automatically zeroes itself based on day/month/year etc

daily_energy:
      source: sensor.shellyem_5e26f6_channel_1_energy
      cycle: daily
      tariffs:
        - peak
        - offpeak
    monthly_energy:
      source: sensor.shellyem_5e26f6_channel_1_energy
      cycle: monthly
      tariffs:
        - peak
        - offpeak

The automation to switch tariff:

- id: '1652831843092'
      alias: Energy - Switch tariff
      description: ''
      trigger:
      - platform: state
        entity_id: binary_sensor.peak_rate
      condition: []
      action:
      - service: select.select_option
        target:
          entity_id:
          - select.daily_energy
          - select.monthly_energy
          - select.yearly_energy
        data:
          option: '{{ ''peak'' if is_state(''binary_sensor.peak_rate'', ''on'') else ''offpeak''
            }}'

The template stuff that sorts out DST:

- binary_sensor:
      - name: "Is DST"
        state: "{{ now().timetuple().tm_isdst == 1 }}"
      - name: "Peak Rate"
        icon: "mdi:power-plug"
        state: >
          {% if states('binary_sensor.is_dst')|bool(1) %}
            {% set t_on = today_at('08:15') %}
            {% set t_off = today_at('23:15') %}        
          {% else %}
            {% set t_on = today_at('09:15') %}
            {% set t_off = today_at('00:15') + timedelta(hours=24) %}
          {% endif %}
          {% set t_now = now() %}
          {{ t_on <= t_now <= t_off }}

Chane the time to suit your d/n meter mine is 15 minutes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

This is really helpful, thanks.

Do you know if the monthly stats will be gathered corectly even if the sensor suppling it is one that resets its counters daily?

Yes as you can see above it only resets monthly and that's exactly what I'm doing, giving it the daily one.

Monthly keeps increasing until the new month, same with yearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SlvrSky07

Hello group, I was wondering if someone could help me out with reading some Modbus data using pysolarmanv5.

I am able to read most registers and write to most. The issue I am having is when a register requires reading of individual bits from my inverter.

Examples of a couple I can't seem to figure out:

0x3428 - 2 bytes - Grid ChargePower -[0,100][0,100]1:1HEX. It can never find a value when scanning for holding register, discrete input or input register.

The other is this table. I would like to be able to see if it is charging or discharging.

This is the code I am usually able to get to work:

#!/usr/bin/python3.9

""" Scan Modbus registers to find valid registers"""

from pysolarmanv5 import PySolarmanV5, V5FrameError

import umodbus.exceptions

def main():

modbus = PySolarmanV5(

"192.168.171.5", 1232342234, port=8899

)

print("Scanning holding registers")

x=13314

val = modbus.read_holding_registers(register_addr=x, quantity=1)[0]

print(f"Register: {x:05}\t\tValue: {val} ({val:#x})")

print("Finished scanning holding registers")

if __name__ == "__main__":

main()

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 digimadgirl

Hi Connesha,

I had my solar panels installed last week, and I've been on a steep learning curve with Home Assistant to incorporate my Solis Hybrid inverter data using various resources from Github etc. I would love to use your code above to automate the charging my batteries overnight in my cheap rate electricity (9:30pm to 2:30am).

I have got to the stage where I have run your code with my sensors in a template and I am happy that it is outputting the correct number of amps to charge at.

For the last couple of days I have run the template and then manually used a slider input number to set the amps

I then have the following automation which runs when I press the button on my dashboard:-

I know this is probably basic but I'm afraid I don't know how to put it together. I would like an automation that would set the charge amps every night just before my cheap rate starts. I can do the trigger but then I don't know where to put the template bit to set the charge amps. Can I put it all in an automation or do I need to put some of it in a script? Would you be able to advise me as yaml, scripts etc are new to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭digiman

Any tips on where one could start with home automation? I've decent computer skills, I can do a bit of basic python coding and can do a bit of SQL, fairly good at making dashboards and that kind of thing. I've never use a raspberryPi but would be willing to learn if that's required.

A few things I would like to try and do:

Show the stats from the Eddie and Zappi in a dashboard along with the usual stats I get from the Solis app.

Show my import from the grid according to the day and night rate

Charge the battery fully on days when PV generation will be low.

I've also got Honeywell Evohome and it can read the temperature on my hot water tank, I'd love to automate the turning on the gas boiler to heat up the hot water on days where there will not be enough excess from the solar.

I've got a Solis inverter with an Eddie, Zappi and the myenergy hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

raspberry pi 3+ or 4, home assistant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭micks_address

Similar here. Just got a giveenergy setup with battery and zappi and Eddi.. I'd like to set the max battery overnight charge based on the potential solar the next day.. so if it's going to be a sunny morning charge to 50% but if it's going to be wet then charge it to 100%.. same with the gas.. if it's a sunny day don't bother heating the water mid day as the Eddi can probably handle it.. have a nest thermostat for heat/hot water on gas..have a raspberry pi 3b

Advertisement