Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing kitchen double socket

Options
  • 17-11-2022 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭

One of the sockets on the wall is not working so I will need to get the double socket faceplate replaced. I don't want to try replacing it myself in case I make a balls of it. How much would an electrician charge for this. Its probably a 5 minutes job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Call out charge as min, still no 100% assurance that its the face-plate and not the wires behind. I guess call local spark to find out.

Most won’t get into the van for less than €70-80 anyway so

if it’s not anything more than just the socket (wiring behind is ok I mean) you’re looking at least call out, if he doesn’t charge for the time he’s there.

to be honest OP, you’ve more to worry about actually finding one bothered to do a Micky mouse job like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

I'm assuming that one side of the double socket is still working (maybe original poster will clarify) , and this indicates the other socket (or its switch) has failed and its just a replacement of the double socket - anyone you know who is competent to do this (it doesn't have to be a REC) can do this legally.

If both sides of a double socket have simultaneously failed there must be some other issue

• Registered Users Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

If one side has failed it's a simple replacement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Seriously diy it. Its handy enough. Or get a mate to do it. Its a 5 min job. Also id consider putting in one of the usb units.

I wouldn't bother with usb but each to their own

Tech is always changing so I prefer separates

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The problem as I see it with USB ports is that it puts the responsibility on you as a householder if a visitor plugs in a crappy phone or tablet and it gets fried. Tell them to bring a charger and plug it into the mains socket.

I find that USB ports on mains sockets in public places deliver a woefully low charge, probaly for the reasons stated above. I was in a pub/restaurant in Galway city a while back, they have USB sockets installed so I whipped out my USB cable and plugged in my phone. When I checked it about 10 minutes later, the battery level had only gone up by 1%.

Once you start combining stuff you've problems if one section goes or needs an upgrade

That was always my take on multipurpose stuff

At least with stuff separate you've better options

And as u said they're only rated for very basic charging the standard ones anyway unless theyvd improved

• Advertisement
Advertisement