Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭VicWynne

First off - Many thanks for looking at Michael Carrolls death for me - I feel a lot better that it's not just me.

I agree with spurious that it looks like Knockane.

Thanks again folks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭chooseusername

There’s the name Doyle again, Hanna it looks like, as a witness to the marriage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I wonder could someone have a go at the cause of death for Peter Cronin, the second last entry on the page...

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1962/04297/4107058.pdf

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

Seems to start with Splenic anaemia. Third line is Cardiac F** ?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭55Gem

Splenic anaemia, ?, Cardiac Failure, Certified.

Splenic anaemia is something to do with the spleen

I though that second line had a x in it so wonder if it could be Cachexia which is a general physical wasting due to disease.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Agree with all of that.

@chooseusername - well spotted. It is the same line I'm still working on. The Kerry handwriting needs improvement!!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I agree with cachexia and the last is plain old 'cardiac failure, certified'

Thanks folks - I couldn't see that one at all myself.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I'm of the opinion that it reads

Aplastic Anemia

(Something) maybe a cause of it, do we know what kind of work he was involved in?

Heart failure

Certified

Edit. Was St Joseph's Limerick (death certified at St Joseph's) the local asylum? Maybe a result of treatment if he was in care

https://localstudies.limerick.ie/Library/LocalStudies/LocalStudiesFiles/H/Hospitals/StJosephsHospital/

Post edited by Spook_ie on

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Can someone read and give me just a brief synopsis of this please, no need to translate all the French. I really just want to know why Simon & Joseph Regan are being mentioned in this document. They were farmers who were witnesses to something I think.

https://gw.geneanet.org/flavbalat?n=regan&oc=&p=simon

• Advertisement

Deregos, your request might be beyond the scope of the thread.

If so, you might get a better response from the Genealogical Translations Facebook page.

I've used them myself in the past and they are very helpful.

www.facebook.com/groups/GenealogicalTranslations

Genealogy Forum Mod

I agree with Hery, it's very niche.

It’s a French Revolutionary era (1790’s) declaration in Pluviose (January/February)  by two Regans and witnessed. The writing is awful, even by the standards of the day and impossible for a non-expert to decipher enough of it to make sense of the document.There is no obvious mention pf one being the son of the other. What was readable  

“……..Joseph Regan aged about  54 , a farmer, Simon Regan aged about 25, a farmer both living in the said commune of [something-maximin] declared to me Jean  Hyacinth Barrallier that Anne Bouse(sp?) his legitimate wife (“son epouse legitime”) etc. [something] ……spending eight hours in his/her house [ something ] a son told me that he had given the forename Etienne….

Good man Mick.

Niche it may be but you've more than managed to decipher the gist of the document.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Accouchee , so Anne Bouse gave birth to Etienne at 8pm on the 11th of the present month.

So it looks like it was Simon's child I think?

Agree that she was “accouchee yesterday at eight hours” – I had a very quick read of it at lunchtime, didn’t spend much time on it so didn't want to jump to conclusions.

“….Etienne. According to that declaration which the citizens Joseph Regan and Simon Regan had declared conforming (?) to the visit and of the (representation?) of the [infant?) which were made I restate in virtue of the powers of a deputy delegate [something] that the witnesses Joseph Regan and Simon Regan have signed with me etc…Those last few lines are very unclear

I didn’t see anything on paternite.

In the fourth line is that a name, Jean Pays Thuililler, perhaps husband of Anne and thus the father, rather than any Regan

Possible but I think the word after Thuillier might be a forename, which is typically French e.g. the Regans signed ReganJ and ReganS.. The declaration could be something as simple as the registration of a birth. The various Churches had been banned, priests exiled/killed, ‘deChristianisation ‘ was in full flow, etc, so the ‘acte de naissance’ would have been important. The text has ‘á la maison commune’ in several places including the fourth line and again carrying over into the fifth (“la dite Commune”) and that is where births are registered.

Also, FWIW, although I used ‘farmer’ as their occupation the Regans were landless, as ‘Cultivateur’ was a post-Revolutionary term for a peasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Thank you all for your incites and replies on this, from which I gather that the document is nothing more than just a really long winded discription of some kind of 'witnessed birth registration'.

Would have been more interesting for me if the Regan's had been witnesses to a juicy murder or crime of some discription bit it is what it is. Cheers.

Any thoughts on the address for Patrick Cullen's parents - about half way down the page, marriage to Sarah Dempsey?

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633465#page/55/mode/1up

Genealogy Forum Mod

Are you sure it's Cullen - looks like Collier to me.

Not 100% sure on the address but it looks like Moyvalley.

EDIT: Irish Genealogy website appears to be down so I can't view the civil record.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I have the civil so yes, sure it's Cullen. Agree it could be Moyvalley.

This guy is related to my Cullen ancestors but I haven't pinned the link down. The witness is a sister of my direct ancestor at a confirmed family address. Patrick said he was born in Carlow on the census, so Moyvalley would work. His wife switches between Kildare and Carlow, yet her parents lived in Hacketstown (Carlow/Wicklow border). I've researched the family forward and have a couple of DNA matches to them.

IrishGenealogy is down this evening - was discussing on Twitter.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Fraoch333

Can anyone figure out Percy Lovell Pearson's father's occupation (last entry on page)? I think I know what the first word is, but the second has me stumped. Thanks.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1887/02561/1947344.pdf

Looking at the record of the birth of his daughter Olive in 1883 it appears to be mill furnisher.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1883/02750/2010509.pdf

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Fraoch333

• Registered Users Posts: 5 stevewd259

Hi folks,

Looking for an expert in the Clifden, Galway area for this one. Not sure if the place below the date is the name of a house, an area or what. Had a good look through the map on Google for the area but nothing seeems to be anywhere near it.

I tried to post a link to the full page as stated in the thread title but it wouldn't let me so I couldn't. How long do I have to be here before I can posts links?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1875/03076/2127537.pdf

Post edited by Hermy on

• Registered Users Posts: 5 stevewd259

Hi folks,

Looking for an expert in the Clifden, Galway area for this one. Not sure if the place below the date is the name of a house, an area or what. Had a good look through the map on Google for the area but nothing seeems to be anywhere near it.

Lifted from:

Entry 382

I tried to posr a link to the full page but it wouldn't let me so i had to insert (remove space) to provide link)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Post edited by Deja Boo on

I've added the link to your comment Steve.

You need a certain number of posts before you can add links to your comments - I think it's fifty.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Good spot from Deja Boo.

@stevewd259

If you haven't used them before, the historic maps at GeoHive are great for locating place names.

Ditto townlands.ie for a comprehensive alphabetical list of Irish place names.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I wonder could I get peoples thoughts on the occupation of the bride on this marriage record from 1930.

It's the last entry on the page.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1930/09045/5272808.pdf

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement