Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Egremont Killiney

• 09-11-2022 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi Folks,

We have seen the new homes of Egremont-Killiney built by Durkan Residential and liked them so much.

The prices are starting from 600K for 2bedroom+study room. I know it is crazy but, Dublin is crazy I think.

But as we are new to area, could you please share your ideas of the area, pros and cons?

Thanks in advance for any leads or information...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Durkan do build a decent quality house. And its a growth area with lots of similar infill developments such as this.

Good schools and fair amenities in the area, but you'll absolutely need to drive. The buses to the area haven't hardly improved really in my entire lifetime and you'll be walking down to Church View Road to get a 7 into the City or to connect to the DART. Or its a 20 minute walk direct to Killiney DART Station. The 45A is absolutely crap.

Lets be honest too, the development is Ballybrack Village, not Killiney, but thats of no consequence really, Church Road at that location is pretty quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gianan

Thanks in advance for the information you give.

Transportation makes us think too. Although we have a car, it would be great to easily to use public transportation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,231 ✭✭✭✭ted1

most places are a short cycle

Supervalue is around 15 minutes walk , Tesco is about 10

the DART is less than 20 if you go through the church and across and down Marine Avenue.

its not a bad location. I don’t think you’d have any regrets

Close by there are alternatives in the same price range

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/7-killiney-hill-road-killiney-co-dublin/4643862

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/16-bayview-court-killiney-co-dublin/4643141

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

There are alternatives to the Dart and the 7. N11 is a 10/15 minute walk away where there is a QBC into town with a regular 145 service. 5/10 minutes beyond that is the Luas, second station from the start which gives you a chance of getting a seat in the morning commute.

The nearest city bound 145 bus stop on the N11 is a 25 minute walk away, or 2.2 kms/ 1.4 miles. The Luas at Brides Glen is further.

Thats not a plausible alternative on a wet winter's morning, on a very exposed route, possibly with kids associated gear in tow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AySeeDoubleYeh

This. Plenty going for the location without pretending the Luas/N11 bus stops are convenient.

If only there was a school within 50 meters. Or a crèche within 200m

Thank you for the alternatives you sent.

We are evaluating every alternative for us and for our kids.

It is hard to decide, especially in the middle of the house crisis and the crazy prices.

The 7, 7A and 7B is closer and goes to town are closer than the 145 and go to town.

There is yeah, if there are places.

But my point was, that the 145 to get into town for work, 25 minutes walk away, if there are kids to be brought to school, is a non-starter.

Besides, the fella might already have kids in school elsewhere prior to his move and need to get them there.

• Advertisement

Exactly, we have 2 kids who are attending a school in Dun Laoghaire. If we choose these property, kids' school will be 5km away, 10-15 min driving distance...

Really hard to decide... Especially with this economic recession news...

have you heard of cargo bikes. There’s off road cycle paths towards the graduate and new lanes under construction towards cherrywood

I have yeah and they're sh1te.

Nobody is going to pack their kids into them on a cold rainy winter morning and cycle to Dun Laoghaire (where the man's kids are based).

People need to stop deluding themselves as to the practicality of bikes, beyond personal local transport.

I manage to cycle out to the office in the airport, wouldn’t be considered as local transport. I think you are the Delusional one, pretty poor considering you consider yourself as a town planner

our 2 younger kids are in school in Monkstown, it’s about 15-20 minutes in the morning. Lots of cargo bikes dripping off snd collecting all year around

Not just a professional planner, but a realist.

I follow the mandated parking and cycling facilities in my projects, but that doesn't mean I'm going to use them, or recommend them privately to anyone else as a practical life solution.

I've said before on here and will again, my whole thrust in the first instance would be behind, reliable, widespread, integrated, cheap, frequent, local public transport. Every urban area where we are trying to reduce car use is entitled to it, but does not have it. For example, no service traverses the western stretch of Church Road, on the City side of this development we are talking about.

How there isn't a direct and frequent feeder bus service following this route below is bonkers. Such an easy win, even at rush hour.

The 7's and 111 and what not, do vaguely attempt it, but the overall service is lamentable. There should be a bus leaving Dun Laoghaire DART Station for Brides Glen Luas every 15 minutes and one returning, all day, from 5.15am to 1am, or corresponding to the weekend and public holiday hours of DART and Luas as appropriate.

“follow the mandated parking and cycling facilities in my projects”

sounds like a half arse attempt that results in poor delivery of infrastructure

agree on the needs for linking DART and LUAS

back to the subject at hand

OP , I saw they were on view at the weekend. Did you deuce to go with it?

what’s the market like , are things still selling the day of release?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Hairy mellon

egremont looks like relatively good value. Durkans around a lomg time, one of the few developers to push standards higher during the downturn. compared to, say honeypark, prices look ok. 2 bed ground floor own door apartments at €475k, €50k cheaper than park developments forward funded scheme just started off the graduate roundabout, €70k cheaper than second hand 2 bed apartment in honeypark. Cosgraves development is better location closer to dunlaoghaire, but 4 beds around €1m+

dart in killiney is 12min walk

cherry lane up in cherrywood launched 2 bed houses for €550k a while back also.

most new apartments are forward funded or forward sold to prs or ahb, so to get a look at buying a new apartment anywhere in co dublin is rare. Apartments here pick of the bunch, the €600k is for upper floor own door duplex. Units that start at a large 125sqm (as big as the old ‘grant size’ house) and are very well planned.

second hand looks cheaper but you have to factor in the cost to refurb up to A rating at around €70k+

house comparison to terraced units would be watsons, where second hand house for sale for €895k (bigger garden but needs to be refurbed up to A rating).

its an interesting scheme, well finished. Acc to IT 16 out of 24 units sold last weekend

I like the way the marketing pictures shows views from Killiney hill, Killiney Stores in the middle of the village, the Forty Foot and the Queens in Dalkey, but no photos of the Ramblers or the Igo.

They could have at least shown the Palm Beach or Kambos!

Yes, as you said, they were on the view this weekend and they are saying that sold 16 out of 24 units.

We are still thinking of, but so close to agree to buy...

Thank you for your detailed info about the area and the prices.

As you mentioned it seems fairly reasonable acc to Honeypark and Cherrywood.

One of the mail question is, if we have to sell it, can it be sold easily! People may choose to buy a house rather than a duplex. They are almost the same value in some areas...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AySeeDoubleYeh

I mean just for clarity the Watsons house you're referencing is 200sqm and detached and is by no means at all representative of the area in general. Most houses in Watsons go for 550-650ish.

personally, i think they are an ugly looking house in an area that is very underwhelming.

It isn't a bad area, but despite what the adverts tell you, you won't be strolling up the road for a dip in the sea and a glass of wine in a cool wine bar. Within a ten minute walk you have Ballybrack village, Killiney Shopping centre and a large Tesco. Anything else and you'll be jumping in the car. The drone photo makes it look as though you are living in the country as well, but in reality you are just off a very busy road.

If you have friends or family in that area then these are gret, but personally i would be looking to buy an older property in the Watsons/Johnstown where you will get a semi with a garden for the same price, but will need some time and effort to freshen it up.

For some reason theres something about Watsons that just isn’t appealing.

The large gardens and three car driveways and huge reception rooms and the generous space to extend and the nearby parks and sports clubs and good schools.

Nope, I don't get it either.

maybe it’s just to far from the beach. Location , location, location

We’re looking at moving at the moment or adding a 4th bedroom and it’s just some where we wouldn’t consider

Advertisement