Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solis Misleading Advertising

Options
  • 08-11-2022 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭

I know many here have mentioned in the past but thought would start a thread for potential customers of Solis hybrid 5g inverters in relation to the incorrectly advertised charge and discharge rates of their inverters.

Held off on posting wanting to try to see if there was any form of solution from Solis support first . None from their email support and after one hour on hold the agent after acknowledging the explanation of low charge after 15 mins hung up. This is after a friendly exchange with no reason to hang up.

Disappointed to say the least from the lack of support from them and so surprised that legally they can mis-advertise this main feature. Short of reporting to advertising standards I thought it best to at least let potential customers know of this major flaw with their inverters and of the standard of afterservice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

Could you elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Low charge?

Is this the inability to maintain 100A?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Absolutely, and the worst part is that not even the installers know about this, I had to tell mine after confirming that's the case with Solis.

Nowhere in the documentation have I seen that 100A means 100A for 15 mins and then 70A continuously, and if under 60A for 25 mins then you back to 100A and repeat.

Yes the advertised 100a which encourages many to drop the 4g inverters to "upgrade" to these 100amp inverters that simply don't do it

• Advertisement

Think what disappointed me more was the manner of replies.

Few of the helpful parts of the replies below -

"Could you also please show me on one of our datasheets where we show continous current? 

No indication of continous (also generally when inverter manufacturers say continous in my experience they mean 30minutes or a certain time frame). We base our datasheets on the semi-conductor datasheets which specify a peak current "milliseconds" and a continous current (then a temperature that needs to be maintained on it). We are using the continous but have temperature sensors which derate the current when it is exceeded. "

I then pointed out that I have very high cooling on the heatsink and temperatures are generally in the low to mid 20c range when charging and it still reduces after 15 mins. Also pointed out that others have been told by Solis that it is time based. He then changed his view that it was now time and temperature based. Also wanted to know why it doesn't state it anywhere that it is simply in small 15 minutes bursts and in reality is a 65A charging hybrid. Suggested to him is the same problem going to happen with the new high charging S6 Solis hybrids. Reply below

"We do not need to state time because we do not use the word "continous", we clearly use the word "max".

As far as I understand we have changed the S6 hybrid to be continous (as you define it) by changing the mosfet design. However as far as I can see again we still are safe about it and do not advertise a "continous" rating, thankfully. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Chinese amps are bigger than normal amps 😅

Starting to think this 190A is total BS, Solis style:

Notice the "max" which seems to mean anything but this value...

Yep that is my worry bout hoping it is just Solis and not all manufacturers. Hoping to hear soon from a sunsynk owner of max sustained charging or not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭con747

No different to broadband providers, the good aul "up to" get out clause.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

I called up sunsynk and asked about their charge/discharge rates and they said it doesn't derate like the Solis, it can sustain those numbers if the battery can, the tech support guy was like WTF when I explained what the Solis does 🤣

I mean I'd have no problem if it were advertised correctly. Peak being 1.5 higher than continuous is quite normal.

That was the point I tried to make to Solis yesterday was that if it was advertised correctly I would have no issue but fooling people into thinking they are upgrading from a 60amp 4g Solis hybrid to a 100 amp one is ridiculous considering it only really does 68amps apart from 15 miserly minutes

Nice one will be definitely jumping onto one of these shortly once I hear back from a user here who recently got one as to the high charging rates being sustained. Solis have made me weary of anything but true actual usage now

Yeah trying to get the 8kw sunsynk as well, will post progress once I get it up and running.

Nice one, let me know if you do manage to find somewhere to source one. Do you have to submit a new nc7 when getting one?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

NC7 is an expensive form to submit especially when you have to pay even if you are not approved. It's not automatic like NC6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Assumed @SD_DRACULA had an nc6 submitted for original install so would need to submit an nc7 if going for the 8kw inverter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭con747

Only if intending to send more than 6kw back to the grid afaik.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

I'd say it will be a few years until we (with day / night meters) even get smart meters and anyone can measure how much we export. And I don't have much trust the FIT will stay good, it might even go below night rate value. I'm bulking up myself on panels, inverters and batteries. Even bought an eddi yesterday LOL 😂

And with several EVs, I intend to export very little indeed once we have the smart meters, should the FIT not be good.

Was thinking about this and nc7 form will only trigger another ESBN upgrade to smart meter from d/n which is a no go right now, the nc7 might get lost in the mail until the smart meters are worth it to me 😉

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Discovered today that my inverter had been limited (I can only presume remotely by Solis) to 70A charge/discharge from batteries. I am on a firmware that supported the continuous 100A charge/discharge.

I changed it back to 100A, and have made wtf enquiries with Solis. To be honest, I could live with the 100A->70A self-derating bodge, but the silent limiting to 70A, was very sneaky.

So they have a firmware that can do 100A continuous and it is working faultlessly for you? Why don't Solis roll that out to other inverters, they can obviously do so remotely OTA

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Because the inverters will cook themselves if pushing 100A for too long apparently. Not a major deal for me at moment with the 9 hour night rate, but being able to push 100A for 15-20mins during the day is handy.

So why did they even give you that firmware, just for some remote testing? 100A is only 5kW, if you have a large PV array and large battery, you'd want to be filling up your battery at that rate. I was going to get a Solis hybrid inverter but it is absurd spending the guts of €2k on one when you can only get the same 60A from the likes of my ME3000SP, that I bought for just over €400

The SunSynk 8.8kW at only slightly more money than the Solis 6kW can do 190A continuous. Now there we are talking!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Wait.. I think my parents one is the same, never passed 70 amps today.

To save me the walk nextdoor 😂 what modbus register is it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

hmph.. set at 70...

Not anymore!

Must see if I can keep an eye on that, maybe kick it back up to 100 when needed.

DSP version 0x0029 HMI 0x003a

Advertisement