Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It would only be pointless if there were no alternatives to paying £113 to race Dublin marathon.

Since there are other races to choose from, then..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,654 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Money saving tip....if you want to run the Dublin Marathon for free just turn up at the start line and do it since there are zero security checks at the start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

It's not about accepting the price, but people (in my opinion) are very quick to complain about organisers increasing the price to enter rather than questioning whether or not there may be understandable reasons to explain said price increase. It's not that long ago since these same organisers were offering half marathons at something like €25 or something. I don't personally consider them to be profiteering in any events they put on. Others may disagree and that's fair enough.

It's a volunteer led organisation and as far as I know has maybe 1 full time staff member. Their costs are basically out of their own control and they have to cover that somehow. It must be obvious to almost everyone at this point that general price inflation has been rampant in almost every way over the last 2 years. People can't expect this event to be somehow immune from that. Comparing €113 for 42.2 kms versus €160 for 800kms of runners is a shallow comparison when you consider you don't need to close down a European city for 8 hours and have security costs to pay when you go out on a training run.

Without being privy to the facts I think it's a bit bad form to complain to organisers about price increases when many of these people are trying to organise this on a volunteer basis and I highly suspect they aren't exactly rolling in dough at the end of it. Even if they were to make a surplus from the event it's only right that the organisation/sport would get a benefit from it.

All the while the modern runner has a rotation of shoes for their training, probably shelling out the guts of €500 to the likes of Nike, Adidas, Puma et al, the majority of which goes to cover marketing costs from said companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,495 ✭✭✭Trampas

And the €20 5km. Always more value in longer races

• Registered Users Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't see complaints about the price, or people saying it should be cheaper, I just see people assessing its relative value to themselves. Which is perfectly understandable.

€113 per ticket could be selling at a loss for the organisers yet it would still be fair for a runner to decide it was more than they wanted to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭event

Yeah there hasn't been much giving out here, just people saying can't justify it.

As I've said before, I don't think anyone is making money from it (in fact I know there isn't anyone) but an increase of 21%, people are entitled to ask questions

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Hi, does anyone know chances of getting a place for next year in the lottery? I’m hoping to do it as my first marathon, but don’t want to get my hopes up

I'd say you'll have a good chance

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭FazyLucker

Its not that we expect a Catholic Church style omertha but I think it's fair to say that the cost of everything has gone up in the 3 years since the vast majority of people registered.

Like, say the Portaloo providers pushed up their cost by 21%, or the RDS the same. Or if Irish Life aren't spending as much as KBC. The only place the organisers can put this cost is on the paying punter.

It is not up to every organisation to justify a price increase, least of all an organisation which has its roots firmly in the amateur ethos yet runs a very professional event. If you don't like it, you vote with your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Compared to the price of entry, the price of a nights accommodation in Dublin is crazy in my view. But I would prefer not to have a long drive in the morning before the marathon starts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭FinnC

Is Dublin any more expensive than other big cities? I’ve booked a Hotel in Manchester for €235 for one night in April. Wasn’t that many options apart from staying a bit further away that were any cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I think it's not just the significant price increase that people are annoyed by. It's an increase in cost with a decrease (this year at least) in other things, like:

No YouTube live stream of the event (and no interest from RTE or Virgin to televise it which is a national pity)

Reduced quality of the t-shirt and the hat.

No race programme with the number at the expo.

It's a fantastic event though, like anything, money might resolve a lot of the minor issues. DCM just needs to sell itself a bit more and they deserve the best sponsors out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭winstonia

Just went out for a 10k to try out the t-shirt and it's swimming on me. Off to charity it goes. No point in giving them out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sledge144

you mean the t shirt you could buy at the expo or the one you got at the finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sledge144

Did a 5k in mine yesterday at easy recovery pace. I felt it was OK. It probably does have a limited use.

It didn't really keep me warm the first 3k. After that it was fine but that might have been just me getting warmed up.

Still feel proud wearing it however.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I have always found the Dublin marathon finishers tops to be among the best out there. The design isn't necessarily the best, but the quality has never been an issue and they are my primary source of long sleeve tops for running in the winter. The half zips are awesome as well as they give a bit more flexibility for cooling in the months where you are not quite sure if it's warm enough for short sleeves again yet.

Yeah I like the tops. But rarely wear long sleeve tops running so don't get much use

I think the A friend of mine did the London Marathon a few years ago and said the finishers top was the worst thing he had ever come across.

I found the DCM tops generally very good as well. Can't comment on this years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭FinnC

All weather is short sleeve weather imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I bet if you contact them they might send you another. They must have loads left over?

I quite like the top. I wore it yesterday for Parkrun. The 2018 top was terrible quality and I remember them replacing them for people. 2017 and 2019 were great I thought.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's ok. I still got my 2016 one which fits fine. Funny I prefer running in a long sleeve and 4inch shorts.

That's interesting, I have the 2018 one and am still wearing it! I think its 2018 anyway, blue and yellow one. Have found it great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Yes, the blue and yellow ones …. It was holes in the sleeves in the wrong place and threads hanging off if I remember correctly. I never wore it since but love the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Zip on my 2018 broke fairly soon after the first couple of wears, 2019 was much better quality and wear it much more often. This years is very much a meh, very light, sizing is all over the place, arms slightly too short, neck is massive and a small medium compared to 2019, I understand that the colour is the corporate sponsors colours, so hopefully they improve it for next year. My 2008 still fits and is my oldest usable running t-shirt. My Parkrun t-shirts are by far my favourite to wear, closely followed by a Ray D'arcy Today FM (yep that old) 5k t-shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭boardtc

Love the bobbly hats! In fact my kids lost my 2018 one , I contacted the organisers to see if I could buy another one. They said that they give them all away to charity. Being that 15,000 of 25,00 ran this year, that's a lot of hats to give away... presumably abroad? Does anyone know where I can get a 2018 hat?!! Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭marathon2022

No doubt there is a box of them in some long storage warehouse with dust on them. Hope you get lucky, this year's hat isn't quite as good quality as the 2019, 2020(virtual) either. 🤠

Look if you don't get in through the lottery and are willing to run under someone else's name you will get a place. People couldn't get rid of numbers this year. I knew several people who didn't run it and couldn't get rid of there number this year

• Advertisement

Yeah, hence the desperate need for a transfer facility.

Its not like the market is there to make money off coming out of the ballot and selling the entry on.....and even if they charged a €10 transfer fee for admin costs, it'd still be better than an unused entry.

Maybe the organisers want a certain amount of no-shows but 10k no-shows is not a good look.

Advertisement