Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet ariel/signal booster

Options
  • 05-11-2022 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi Folks

So for internet in the campervan I Have signed up for the fastest mobile internet that I can find (5x vodafone with unlimited data)

I use the the phone as a mobile hotspot when away with the camper and it runs the tv and tablet no problem almost anywhere.

There are a couple a spots where I get very bad internet Like Down in the lower carpark in Glendalough few days ago

A little bit of extra height makes a lot of difference : Like putting the phone on the roof if its dry.

Is there any gadget that/ariel extender/ that would allow me to improve my Internet signal when down in some type of valley what do other people do?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭Shoog

Microwaves which are what phone use are purely based on line of sight which means if you are in a blackspot (no line of sight to the nearest tower) you are sunk and nothing you do will solve that. If you are far from the nearest tower their are omidirectional antenna and directional antenna with even more gain. However no phone that I am aware of offers access to an antenna extender port - which is end of story really.

You might be able to get a dedicated MIFI router which accepts an external antenna but then you will probably need a dedicated SIM card.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2

Thanks for that : so let me see if ive got this . any type of internet that involves a sim card can only realy be improved by adding heigth i.e. improving line of sight so unless you go for satelite based Internet (which Im not)

There is nothing realy that will improve reception hence internet speed other than geting the phone (or the ariel from the sim installed router) as high as possible.?

Is that about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭Shoog

Fairly much so, but in most situations the sort of height gains that are possible will not make any practical difference since it will generally by a hill or mountain blocking the line of sight.

Advertisement