Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bilberry - Embarrassing Road for Greenway Tourism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭JohnC.

No, the question was in relation the the preceding post, where someone was questioning why bikes and pedestrians are sharing a path. Just like the entire greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Ah, cool 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭Economics101

I don't know whether this has been raised here already, but there is an old road-over-railway bridge near the Bilberry terminus of the Waterford and Suir Valley railway. In Celtic Tiger days a block of apartments was build just on the city side of the bridge, effectively blocking the use of the railway trackbed for cycling, railway or anything else. It was as if the then Waterford Corporation wanted to sabotage any Greenway through route forever.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I remember the bridge, shameful that they allowed the building to happen

Just no long term vision at the time even though the idea of the greenway did exist at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

I cycled this at the weekend to get to the Greenway from the train station. Was super quiet because the road is closed to cars, maybe they should keep it that way! Fantastic that you can get directly on to the Greenway from the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

It would be great, it would have saved the council €6m too.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Because Carriganore was being developed in early noughties, the plan was to bring the Suir Valley Railway up onto the road at the Bilberry tunnel and bring it down to Rice Bridge. The engineering at Bilberry Rock would have been very expensive otherwise. I have the plans published by the council somewhere. There were two tracks on the street all the way into Rice Bridge, an in and an out line, presumably to keep normal traffic in mind. It would have been a direct link via light rail from city centre to Carriganore campus so someone was thinking. Unfortunately our vision for Carriganore was not supported by government and HEA.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You can't have anything that might get people out of cars or in some way effect motorists, thats the mindset and even to get the greenway that was part of the right. It's only that the greenway success can't be hidden that the council are forced into improving some stuff now.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nomoedoe

There’s no cars on the greenway though ,the bilberry section you could see people walking onto the road to avoid cyclists etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Not sure how you can come to the conclusion that the ‘council were forced into making improvements because of the success of greenway’……? The story doing the rounds a few years ago was that the government funding bodies didn’t play ball and there wasn’t enough ‘moo-la’ to bring the bilberry section up to the standard of the rest of the route…….only in the last couple of years, probably because of the Green Party influence have monies become available..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭new92

This is the average council performance. They have poor foresight. They have the bones of the past to work with but they work against it.

Still can't believe they spent a small fortune so that Browns lane and Castle street could be reconstructed for lorry traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Valhalla90

Yes there is a bridge thats there I think its completely filled in now. Shocking planning really.

Lastweek I headed down to Waterford on my cargobike, my original plan had been to catch the train from Kilkenny but it turns out the Waterford line doesn't run a train thats suitable to take a non-standard bike. Only intercity trains like Dublin-Cork have a carriage that could fit the bike.

So instead I had to cycle down to Waterford before heading off on the greenway to Dungarvan.

Most of the Bilberry section is a total mess due to the construction and its confusing if you were a tourist new to the area. Temp signs and directional arrows would have been a great idea during the summer months!

Here's the current progress upto last week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

I think tourist would be able to work it out in fairness. If not, I'd question how they got to Waterford in the first place. Have not been along there for a long time. Good to see all the progress. The cantilever section will look good when it is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Flow Motion

Trying to drive around Waterford (esp. the inner city) is like entering Aladdin's cave these days. As the OP above mentioned Browns Lane/Castle St mash up is a complete mess up! Especially when you consider the trickle of traffic flowing through that part of town. Only have to go a little further up or down the road to find more nonsense : Mayors Walk/Patrick St/Alexander St or in the other direction Hennessys Rd/Bunkers Hill/traffic lights etc. And only last week overnight WCCC decided to block off the turn in/out of Adelphi Quay from the Quay by erecting a row of bollards in the centre median opposite Reg Towe/Tower Hotel. Another big idea for the traffic mgt heroes behind closed doors. Add this to the virtual closing off of Bank Lane + Mall Lane too and you have everything funnelled down William Street onto the Quay with no escape valve. Thats my tuppence worth. Change for the sake of change is not always the right decision eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

I don’t agree with you there. I have to go up to the Ballybricken area a few times a week. The Browns Lane, Castle St, Mayors Walk, Patrick St, Newgate St, Stephen St etc layout is a million times better now. Rarely even get delayed going to or back even in peak times. Before the changes Mayors Walk for example was a mess, the Barrack’s St end was not even wide enough for two-way traffic. I really don’t think you even drive that way much. If you did you would love the changes.

Bring on more one-way systems in the city I say. Joe Kelly is correct, more circular routes are needed in the city

https://waterford-news.ie/2022/02/22/mayor-calls-for-discussion-on-new-one-way-system/

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Agree. 1- way into town from Passage Rd. / St. Patricks Way junction, South Parade, Otterans Place, Catherine's St. get rid of lights at the Maryland and make traffic merge with that from Colbeck St, also forced left onto Parnell or right towards Mall. 1-way out from Tower Hotel to Park Rd/DLS main entrance, Park Rd. Actually, looking at the knock-on effects of that would require more 1-way triangles interconnected but I say bring it on. We're years behind some towns in doing all this and decades behind enlightened European and even US cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Also adding my agreement to this. One way can make it safer for pedestrians and cyclists too. Blocking off the turn at Adelphi Quay, Reg Tower was 100% the right call. Cars were throwing themselves across two lanes of traffic at that junction treating it like they had right of way, so dangerous. I actually think traffic flows through the main junction there a lot better now because its not blocked up at Reginalds Tower with cars having to leave those people through.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

If you find it hard to drive around Waterford you shouldn't be driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

It’s amazing alright the number of cranks who continually whinge and moan about a few small traffic/route changes……..waterford apart from maybe 20mins in the am and maybe a bit longer in the pm doesn’t have ‘traffic’ issues. The people moaning about these things should spend some time driving around Dublin, London, Paris, New York etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Yikes, what an absolute mess that looks like.

You could say it looks like a building site.

It is messy, I just think aspects of it could be far better considering you still want to encourage people and familys to walk/cycle down the area to use the greenway. Yet the space allowed is tiny and you'd barely get through with a cycle trailer.

Just real lack of consideration. In the end things will be better but better temp measures could have been put in place.

As for around the city, Waterford isn't difficult to drive in and stuff like blocking off the adelphi quay rat run made total sense.

I will 100% agree that the likes of the orange bollards are ugly, these should be temp messures until proper infrastructure/paths/planters can be put in place. Ultimately the city must be made more safe for pedestrians and cyclists and motorised traffic needs to be slower especially in the centre of the city.

Post edited by Cabaal on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I'd like to add if we could have Poleberry one way, along with portions of Ballytruckle Road (from Mansion House to the Poleberry turn off). I think anywhere where a car needs to stop to allow other cars get through because of parked cars, or buses oncoming needs to be looked at.

Centra to Golden Fry one way would be nice as well, along with the road alongside the Ursuline - create a one way loop there possibly using Pearse Park. The thoughts of cycling Old Tramore Road/Ursuline at rush hour would put me off cycling anywhere near there - and we should be making it safer for kids around schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Looks like they are making good progress on Grattan Quay now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nomoedoe

The road closure has been extended to March now!

Photos taken from greenway page on facebook.

Terrific.

That looks more substantial than I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭taytobreath

are people going to be cycling/walking on that steel thing

• Advertisement

It will carry pedestrian and cycle traffic. "That steel thing"?

Advertisement