Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bilberry - Embarrassing Road for Greenway Tourism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Kinda hard to see it being completed by end of May to be honest. I can't get my head around the junction at the Grattan. The road is very narrow and it will be fairly difficult to turn in there due to the sharp angle on the island from the bridge I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

When are the works at the bus stop by clock tower going to finish? Been boarded up for over a year and nowhere for commuters to sit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭914

One would presume when the new bridge is finished

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭nomoedoe

Just seen it today looks like its going to be a one way system coming from the Quay with no right turn from the bridge

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Having no right turn at the bridge onto Grattan makes total sense and should make the Rice Bridge traffic flow far, far better

• Advertisement

I wonder is that it. It must be. I can't see how you could turn right there now, the angle is awkward at best if you have anything bigger than a mini.

The only problem with it is people will use Mary street to turn right instead creating a backlog of cars there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

The left turn from the quays onto bridge st was removed years ago yet people regularly do it despite the signage and tight turning radius…….

taking the right turn from rice bridge to grattan quay will be no worse than the above and doable but will there be a ‘green light/arrow’ on the traffic light 🚦 to allow the turn or will anyone wanting to do the manoeuvre have to sit in the lane with indicator lights on waiting for a gap in the traffic coming from bridge st onto rice bridge 🌉…?

Post edited by Asdfgh2020 on

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Still not finished and progress seems to have slowed to a snails pace. Are there not penalty clauses for late completion with these type of infrastructural contracts? Like with the Children's Hospital......a forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

The official opening is next week 😂😂😂

• Advertisement

The official opening is next week just in time for the bank holiday weekend..

Please be advised that ahead of official opening of the Bilberry to City Centre Greenway link next week, Craddock Construction will be undertaking night works on the following nights:

• Friday May 26th
    • Wednesday May 31st

The works are required to finish the new tarmacadam and line marking on the junction (Friday night) and to install detectors for the new traffic lights (Wednesday night) and will be the final invasive nightworks with large machinery required on the junction.

During the day next week a traffic management / taper plan will be in place (Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday) in the middle of the day at approximately 11.30am to avoid peak traffic flows. This will remain in place for approximately 2 hours and is required to pour concrete for the new pathways coming over the bridge and along the river. Given the short duration of the works and off peak hours it is expected that delays will not be as extensive as those experienced this week, however, some delays are expected, so please allow extra time for your journey

Whilst there will still be some outstanding paving works on the paths around the junction over the coming weeks, these can be completed without impacting on traffic flows

Pedestrian management will be in place for these works and pedestrians should expect amended layouts from time to time and should abide by the temporary pedestrian management provisions.

Really? There's a few weeks work left surely there surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭914

Official opening happened today, must have been finished of at least 99% finished

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Has the road reopened yet, it wasnt opened Friday night anyway, i did see two cars ahead of me on the bridge in the filter lane to turn over on to bilberry ok, but from what I could see, there didnt seem to be traffic going over or coming from bilberry.

Seems to be open alright. I have to say, the wall that's built beside the new cycle track over the river is very poorly constructed. The stones are already loose. It won't last long at all. There are already a few ready to fall out.

Can you post a few pictures of what you are referring to……?

Sure.

There are loads of loose stones. The wall will be broken down very easily, unless they are going to come back and strengthen it. I'm kind of surprised how poorly constructed it is to be honest because there's a lot of good work further on along by the old Stanley.

Post edited by Azatadine on

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Valhalla90

Still not 100% done for sure.

Nice little claim there if the residents of the nearby caravan park cop it…

• Advertisement

How can the Council have an official opening ceremony when the work by the bridge is clearly not finished with diggers still on site, orange covers still on new lights, warning signs still on all approach roads??? The footpath where you turn left off the bridge onto the Quay has turned into the Sagrada Familia of Council roadworks!

That whole junction is a right mess. They've made a pigs ear of it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

At least a pigs ear is useful, that junction, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭JohnC.

What's wrong with it?

Just about everything is worse than how it originally was. Every single thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

lot of people giving out over nothing boi

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Valhalla90

Junction has not changed much to be honest. At least it got resurfaced and new markings.

The right turn off the bridge looks very tight?

It is, they've widened the footpaths to accommodate bikes by reducing the width of the road surface; predicted result: lots of collisions of unwitting drivers swinging right off the Quay onto the bridge colliding with HGV's or vice- versa.

What they should have done was re-engineer the bridge by widening the path out over the river. They did it on the Grattan Quay section with the cantilevered greenway bits - why not do the same at the most critical traffic junction in the city rather than shrink the road space risking collisions?? Green anti-road/anti-car agenda anyone?

• Advertisement

Must go through the junction again in next few days to assess the claim above….surely vehicle manoeuvres were modelled and checked before being reconstructed / reconfigured or is that expecting too much for our local authority - council who have a poor track record with road works and traffic control…..I wonder was there any consultation with hgv / bus co’s even the taxi guys in advance of these works…? I’d assume not…..😡

Advertisement