Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

where to buy bucket reared weanlings

• 21-10-2021 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

looking to buy bucket reared weanlings/yearlings, preferably on Saturday or the bank holiday monday

Where is the best mart, I live in the midlands, very few in Tullamore or Edenderry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭mayota

I find DoneDeal handy, see the cattle in there surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

mostly dealers with bucket reared weanlings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭cute geoge

A good share of good weanlings bought by leinster livestock down here in Kerry ,they have an ad on dd ,you have a share of more lads at it as well .Would egan be up yourside

clare hill would be close

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Online now is a great option with LSL. However you would want to register on the app for the mart early this morning and then ring the marts a few hours later to get them to put you online. You may need to restart the application to get going. The advantage of bucket fed weanlings is you can let them sit in a mart overnight. It's very hard to buy any cattle out if farmers yards when prices are strong

Newport in Tipperary has a special weanling sale starting at 6 pm Friday evening. Ballinsloe and Sixmilebridge on the Saturday, not sure how many will be in either of them. On Monday Killmallock and Castleisland will have a lot of bucket fed weanlings but both are a spin from you.

However online is a game changer for the lad that is working or even buying cattle on a smaller scale. I have sixty cattle bought this year and only been inside a Mart twice this year. In them two days I bought 5 in Castleisland and two ( after having 9 bought dropped to me by the hammer) in Gortnalea.

There has been twice I have picked up 12-14 cattle cattle in a mart. Mostly it's been in smaller lots of 2-7 stores. When I have a few bought I hitch on the box and head off to start collecting.

JUST MAKE SURE THEY ARE CLEARED BEFORE YOU START HEADING OFF TO COLLECT.

Even when you feel you have enought bought ring the mart and make sure they are cleared as if any are pulled you can continue buying

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Sillycave

Bit off topic (sorry OP) but how many calves (3-6 month old) could you carry on 10 acres during the summer?

i know their is a lot of things that effect this but just a rough idea please , thanks

That is how long a piece of string is. Calves 3 months old will eat very little grass especially if getting a pound of ration or nuts. However calves six months old will be eating a nice bit. You could have 50-80 3 months old calves on that amount of ground and still need to take out excess grass. At six months 20-25 would probably keep it clean.

Slava Ukrainii

somebody mentioned to me this morning that Newport in Tipperary has a sales every saturday and these bucket fed white head bull weanlings are available at it, anyone know if this is true?

Newport is normally a Thursday only sale. Usually not a really a huge mart. Yesterday was a special weanling sale

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

@Bass Reeves do you buy them without looking them over in the flesh or do you no in before sale and make a shortlist?

@Tomjim why the and to buy from a dealer? You could pick up an even batch of what you want without having to spend a day at the sales and maybe not get fully get what you want.

• Advertisement

I buy mostly stores.bthis year I have bought 60ish stores, I have been at the mart twice and bought 7 on those days. The rest I bought by only seeing on phone or labtop. Much prefer labtop but buy off the phone mostly. Last year I did much the same, I actually think I bought all my stores online.

You will do every bit as well buying online as off a dealer or direct from farm

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭orm0nd

no the hereford x sale was on there a couple of saturdays ago and that was a once off, as Bass said Thursdays, and there was a couple of Friday evening sales of weanlings but I'd say that finished for the year. most bucket fed wenalings there on thursdays are fr bulls and not many ,

used to have the weanling sales on saturdays but it was clashing with the bridge and sometimes scarriff

I didn't relise that Killmallock has a weanling sale every Tuesday night. Weanling Bulls and bullocks in one ring, nad heifers and runners in a seconnd ring. Should be a good selection. Starts at 6 pm.

Slava Ukrainii

where is egan from, Lenister Livestock is in Granard I understand

I bought today mix of Whiteheads and AA bucket reared bulls, 630 from a dealer, happy enough, they seem good quality

Would there be many bucket reared whiteheads bulls or bullocks in kilmallock on Monday, I'm looking for strong ones or are they mostly continentals?

There probably is but they go through the runner ring unweighted. They have a weanling sale on Tuesday nights

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Might be worthwhile go a bit further to castleisland they've a good few aswell Monday aswell

kilmallock looked ok this evening for what I'M looking for

If you bought them online, would the mart pen them for you and I could send a lorry to pick them up - would that work?

Kilmallock mart always being all cattle to the loading area for you. It by far the best Mary I have ever been at for collecting cattle.

No lorry's or trailers hogging loading area while they go to pay for cattle. You collect ypurlairage docket pull up to the loading bay and hand the docket to the lairage staff. They bring the animals out to your trailer.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

anyone a number for Egan Livestock in Portlaoise?

Advertisement