Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCCB tripped, saved a few lives this morning

Options
  • 27-10-2022 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭

Sparks replaced first 3 pieces

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

That looks severe ,what was running off it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭standardg60

Jaysus, were you charging the car off that or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

7 kW for the car, 8 hrs Charger limits the draw so fuse was weak link

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

It's common enough fuse might have been not tightened

What's the RCD trip got to do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Based on your previous unhelpful posts here in relation to different posts of mine I refuse to engage with you.

Its certainly not this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGpFcHTxjZs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I'm with kirk in this one don't see what the RDDB has got to do with it? Its not an over current device as far as I know.

Looks like the fuse got very hot and burnt and out the two devices either side of it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,964 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I think it's the fact that the RDDB tripped that alerted Calahonda52 to the potential fire hazard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

But the fuse is burnt out? You can't see the "tell" that goes when it blows - the bit in the middle. If I heated up an RCCB I'd be fairly sure it would trip eventually. The car charger would have only be drawing 32 Amps leave another 30 Amps for the house.

If the fuse didn't blow then even more reason it probably overheated.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

an electric shower was in operation when this happened

From safe electric

Neozed fuses if not tightened fully are subject to overheating and “Thermal Runaway”, particularly when supplying High Current loads. We would recommend that these fuses are replaced with 63- amp MCBs when adding any High Current addition to any installation.

It's a well known issue with the neozed fuses seen it loads of times

Not sure on the RCD trip maybe it was the heat or someone else knows on that

• Advertisement

I’d imagine it tripped because of the heat alright. Luckily it did because I’d say the op went to check the distribution board

• Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That's a great photo. I like how the powder adds a ghostly feel to it.

So that looks like it had gone from being 'exothermic' to being in flame and shows why new CU boxes need to be metal rather than self-extinguishing plastic. Lucky catch before the plywood and chipboard backing board fully caught.

"Neozed Fuses - D0 fuse-links are used as the most reliable protection of electrical installation, control and signal circuits against overload and short-circuit currents." 😂

Luckily the householder had a powder fire extinguisher (and knew how to use it)

another shower fire(shower in operation) and the householder had a fire extinguisher but didn’t know how to use it. Neighbour’s came in and did

Post edited by kirk. on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭10-10-20

This second one wasn't caused by the neozed fuse, right? Was it loose wiring on the double-pole MCB?

And are these inspected by a safety body after the event or does a REC submit a report, or how does that side of things work?

Loose connections on shower rcbo by the look of it

Loose conditions alright. No there’s nowhere to report issues. Electric showers are notorious for issues such as this. Either in the pull cord or distribution board itself

Holiday homes were notorious for neozed fuse issues

Electric showers is mostly poor installs , isolators badly fitted and shower terminals loose

Loose connections is mostly handymen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'm curious how no one smelt that long before it burn't out. This was all to common when fuse boards were mounted on chip board and covered in wooden boxes and sometimes under the stairs.😱 House fires are a lot less common than they use to be although they're making a resurgence with chinese batteries and USB charging leads.

• Advertisement

Ya that's the irony

Standards and safety improved meanwhile cheap electronic junk creating a hazard

the one with the burnt out main switch was in a seldom used garage and went unnoticed

the one with the burnt rcd was noticed over a few weeks. The householder thought next door were smoking “weird tobacco” and was using a scented candle to mask the smell !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

They must've had some amount of candles on the go the smell is rank.

The first pic was probably the neozed switch fuse there was a recall on, the slide in push up type

I used to change them a lot when I was a REC stopped bothering after a while

Nobody was willing to pay for the work so it came down to informing the householder , electrical wholesalers would just give u a replacement

Neozed are tricky to tighten that's part of the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I've a had few problems with a shower.

Is there no Rolls Royce of connections that's gives you better connections, so these problems don't happen.

Last time I got the bathroom with the electric shower done it was suggested moving it to isolator off the fuse board.

Or is the case that these switches failing is the way this works?

It's quite common for terminals not to be tightened , not so much by sparks usually plumbers and DIY

The neozed fuses often need an extra twist too very commonly not tightened

Some disagree but best just to leave shower isolators on and they won't give much trouble , as seen from the pics the fire hazard is when the shower is in use

I know what you're talking about there a contactor at the fuse board controlled by a switch at bathroom

Been discussed before but doesn't comply with wiring rules as you're not isolating supply to shower locally

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Sorry there is a isolator at the shower.

At the fuse board the trip is moved off the main board.

All the shower switches I've had a problem with were fitted by electricians. Do they come loose over time or something.

• Advertisement

They give trouble regardless of who fits them mostly the cheaper ones

Crabtree I was fitting when I was a REC a quality isolator

Advertisement