Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart meter

Options
  • 13-10-2022 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭

Are you getting a smart meter.

I have not approved the company to put one in yet. I don't think I will get one, as I can see driving my crazy checking on the how much energy is been used.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

You can still check what energy you're using with your 'stupid' meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I have one but haven't changed to the smart meter tariff. The ESB don't ask for your permission to install one, they just let you know it will be upgraded, your only choice is whether you change the tariff. As they're planning to charge more for peak times it's a no from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,581 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I've had mine removed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭standardg60

You're perfectly entitled to refuse one, it's been discussed many times on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I will be holding on to the old backward-spinning one as long as possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭daheff

Refused mine being replaced also.

Can't see how I'd save from a smart tariff. Energy companies don't tend to try to save you money. Already do as much as we can off peak.

Plus house is about 5 years old with a digital meter already. Why replace that before it's useful life is up? Seems like an awful waste to me

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

• Registered Users Posts: 21,581 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yup. Replaced with a day night meter in august

• Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I had no problem with getting one installed. Quite happy not to have a meter reader coming out or having to submit my own readings.

I haven't moved to a smart tariff, though and won't until I can see for myself the savings or lifestyle adjustments I'd have to make to make it worth my while. At the moment, you can't utilise the smart part of the meter unless you're on a smart tariff, which is really stupid. Seemingly there's going to be a "data hub" website launched next month that will allow you to log in and analyse (minus one day) your electricity usage, even if you're not on a smart tariff. That will at least make the meter more useful.

But lets face facts: there's going to come a point that those not on smart tariffs are going to be penalised. They won't make people get them, they'll just make it uneconomical not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Hope the fitters don't mind my Wasps 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Scam meter more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Meter is inside our house, so won't be allowing them in as we both work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

If one buys a house with a smart meter installed & where the previous owner had a smart plan, can the new owner revert to a 24 hour plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Some strange comments here about them. It is just a new meter and you don't need to change tariffs. Had to apply to have one put in myself rather than being asked. We got €300 credit on our account because they estimated the bills for a bit. Now no need for them to enter the house to read the meter which is convenient.

No sure what the fear is about?

The smart tariffs are crap. The more smart meters that are installed the more they'll be tempted to start grandfathering the dumb plans. Smart meters are also unfavourable to those with solar panels

There are also some privacy concerns. For example if they see that your usage kicks off at 11 or so in the morning they might be inclined to think you're on the dole and start sending your bill every month. There is lots of other information that can be garnered about you using AI overlords which no doubt they are rubbing their hands together at the prospect of doing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,473 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They will likely raise the standard tariffs above smart once the energy crisis is over.

I also believe its in the gift of ESB Networks if they'll let you keep your old one or not, i.e. they're not bothered if you want to keep your old meter for now, but can cut you off if you refused work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

The following is an interesting post from elsewhere on boards:

"Electric Ireland told me the other day that ordinary day rates will not be available from 2024 if you have a smart meter."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

This reminds me, Bord Gais have been sending me letters about replacing my meter because it will be ten years old soon. Apparenty involves a full once over of the whole house.

They can go and whistle

Meter reader called here twice in about a month and a half after being absent for about 6 months or more. Those fcuking power companies have put them into over drive to make sure they collect every penny of their massive price increases after absolutely years of trying to automate meter readers out of existence so they could pocket their wages in order to fuel/upgrade their superyachts.

Post edited by Ubbquittious on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,321 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Our meter was outside and we were happy to get the meter installed. We honestly thought it would better.

However the plans from what we could see wouldn't benefit us at all. So, it's not activated!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I'm sick of smart technology, it won't be installed in my house.

🙈🙉🙊

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's all fun and games until the data centre goes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Don’t.

Those new metres have known problems of pulsing when no gas is being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

More like fart technology.

🙈🙉🙊

This thread ought to be moved to the conspiracy forum! It’s a meter, FFS. Maybe some people has a vaccination against water meters and it’s given immunity to all meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,849 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Getting ours in 2 weeks. Has a look at EI's smart plans last night. Unless I'm misreading something, they all seem cheaper than the standard rates and some would definitely save us money, specifically the night saver as I work/live nights. Now with the fathers oxygen concentrator, we probably won't see any savings anyway, but it's more the monitoring we're interested in.

I understand the worries, but I also think like others that people will eventually be priced out of the non-smart tariffs eventually. What the gubbermant wants, they usually get. There's probably already more than enough people getting them so there's no stopping now.

Cranks who don’t want a smart meter won’t be forced to take one. They’ll just be moved to a more expensive standard unit rate plan. A meter reader will still call and read the meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭circadian

Jesus 2 posts and full of crap. First of all the old meters rarely spin backwards, the majority of them have a notch to prevent backwards motion. Unless you're one of the lucky few the best that you can get with a solar feed in is that the meter barely moves and you get an estimated payment for the feed in.

Second, I don't see how smart meters would be detrimental to someone with solar. I have an old meter but with solar. I want the smart meter in because I can avail of getting payment per unit sent to the grid, get cheaper night rates to charge battery etc. I have more control over how my house is run and how much it costs. This is with a heat pump to boot. It's been miles cheaper this year compared to last with an old gas boiler and no solar.

Finally, the idea that they'll figure you're on the dole (wtf?) is absurd. Working from home is a thing and it's extremely common since COVID. Use of that type of metric to target people for whatever would be a massive privacy violation and leave them open to legal issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,849 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I doubt they going to be able to tell the difference between a laptop being used to work vs a laptop being used to relax.

Advertisement