Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xbox streaming service - anybody use

• 26-10-2022 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anybody uses the xbox streaming service

I have Stadia which is good, list of games is limited but decent for the amount I use it. The service is ending in January next year and was thinking of trying the Xbox equivalent.

Does anybody here us it? is the the same set up, all you need is the app on the TV, controller and monthly subscription then just buy the game?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Same thing, app plus controller plus subscription. But Xbox is a bit better.

You just buy the subscription and then you get loads of games with it. Anything that is on their cloud is included in the subscription (I'm not sure you can buy a game on xcloud?). And all day one Xbox games are there too.

If you buy an Xbox you can download the game to the console (there is a bigger download library). Or stream to the console too if you don't fancy downloading

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Cheers i thought it was much the same alright and probably suits me best as a very casual gamer. Will check it out. Good man

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

A recent migrant from Stadia to Xbox Cloud myself, had previous xbox models but not fired them up in years.

Xbox cloud is great selection of games and it feels worth the subscription, which Stadia didn't and I just bought the few games I was interested in mostly with accumulated Play points.

Xbox plays great on my Android phone, but some games are obviously tricky to see text on the small screen. But it plays to varying degrees of rubbishness depending on what kind of laptop, browser, android screen mirror to TV, or Android app side loaded onto smart TV box setup I try. The ability to stream so easily in decent quality just isn't anywhere near as good as I found with Stadia.

The phone app is great for small screen, but streaming to TV is rubbish with xbox. No idea if having a physical xbox s would make any difference.

Did you stream from the phone to the TV by chance?

It seems the TV app is only available for a select range of 2022 Samsung TV's - well thats what its seems from the limited reading I have done.

I have a 3-4 year old Samsung TV but the xbox app isn't available.

It would be cheaper to by the xbox console than go out and buy a new TV.

You have a few options, I've tried a Firestick and Google chrome cast with Google TV but neither offers any way near what I'd class as a good experience.

You can stream to any of the more recent Xbox Consoles, and not necessarily the Series X for €500. I picked up a Certified refurbished Series S on Amazon for around €180. You can also stream to the older Xbox One X. The Xcloud servers use Series X hardware so you are playing Gen 5 on Gen 4 machine.

Another option is to get a cheap Chrome Book, I've a Lenovo Flex 3i that I got for the kids for about €200 and it plays great on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭eggy81

I find x cloud doesn’t work nearly as well as stadia even on a series x wired connection and gigabit internet. Decent enough but stadia was close to perfect on same connection

Yeah I thought Stadia was a great set up - so easy to get up and running.

I did have some wifi connectivity issues. only 10-15 ft from GB internet, more than likely the router set up, but when wired there was no issue. Just a shame they are getting rid of it as a service

Was your router set to / capable of 5GHz . Using 2.4Ghz mode would have it lagging like crazy for me. Xbox or Stadia.

I'm using the google wifi routers / extenders. I believe these auto switch between 2.5 and 5GHz

Had a quick look at the settings but there doesn't seem to be an option to default to either band. The speed drop off from router to tv - 10-15 ft away is mad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

The best way to look at it is an extra feature of your Xbox Game Pass sub (it's an extra feature), whereas Stadia was the whole product (it's all that it did).

You don't need an Xbox, even, to play the games. At a bare minimum, all tat it needed

• a game pass sub
    • Something to play the games on, one or more of the following: a phone / tablet, a PC/Mac, a 2022 or later Samsung TV. (Random aside: I've even seen online, people playing on their Tesla central console)
    • a bluetooth controller (even a PlayStation one works) - some games allow for touch controls, so you could get away with only a phone or tablet for those games.
    • A reasonable Internet connection (low latency / ping time is better)

I'm using it frequently in certain scenarios. From best to worst:

• Game Streaming to my XBox: Wired connection (HomePlugs) to Router/Modem. This is really good for try before downloading from Game Pass, works well for pretty much all types of games.
    • Game streaming to my phone at home: Wifi connection, Bluetooth Xbox controller, Android phone. This works well for faffing when the TV is busy. Generally, it's OK for most games, but not multiplayer shooters or games that require twitch reactions.
    • Game streaming to phone when travelling: 4G connection, Razer Kishi / touch controls, Android phone. This is OK (like if you're waiting for a bus or something). The Kishi / touch controls are not as good as the Xbox Controller and Irish cell networks can be patchy, but generally for chill games it works well enough.

As a bonus, I've also used it for making up a couch co-op type scenario to play along with my kid, even for games that don't have couch co-op. I've used an old laptop that definitely wouldn't run games to stream games like Forza or Sea of Thieves and we can sit in the same room playing them.

Post edited by Fingleberries on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

"We" use it on the xboxes (1X and SX) here for the kids games. No need to waste storage space on the box and no waiting for download/install, it's excellent. In saying that, the child in question is 6 and does not know what lag is...which she's subjected to constantly. I see/feel it every time I'm called in to help get beyond some obstacle. Not great and I'd never opt to play a proper game this way.

It's also very useful for us who are accumulating rewards points as again, any that require a quick play of a certain game (which you'll likely never play again) can be done without install. Again the experience here is just not acceptable to play a full game. Great for a try before download but not a full gaming solution for me.

I played a good chunk of the new Halo streaming to the console. And i couldn't tell the difference 99% of the time. Occasionally you would get a small graphical issue but very liveable. I've really good fiber to the house so it's about as good as you can get.

Great to just start playing rather than wait half an hour for the download. Crazy how far things have come that you can even download a game in 30-45mins. I remember when it would take 6 hours. It was faster to drive to the shop and buy it.

I don't mind playing on the phone. I got a clip for the controller that the phone sits in. It's a decent oled screen with 120hertz refresh rate. And because you hold it close, it takes up about the same space as the TV.

Advertisement