Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

You should go through the thread and find out for us. It'll keep you occupied for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭lmao10

Documenting all of them definitely would keep me occupied. I agree with you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I'm not really sure. I have lived in the ME. While outside you have to look like a good Muslim inside can be very very different. It has 2 sides of it's coin very reminiscent of old religions like the Aztecs. Ofc no blood sacrifice but biblical punishments ruled by an elite of gatekeepers of the faith. Then you have comparisons to the Romans where Everyone is supposed to be Equal yet still ruled from above. The Issue I can never Square is the book is the literal word of god. Cannot be interpreted. Yet we have tones of addon books lads in hats came up with. How does that work. Man cannot Change the word of God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

We are on the road to ruin if this policy is continued.

I've also spent time there, and the social/educational conditioning is rather strong, especially as you leave the cities. It's constantly reinforced, and exists at every point of your life, from childhood, to your teenage years, university, and then, marriage. It's always there, and the pressure of conformity remains too. Now, I'm sure, for many people, they're just going through the motions not having any strong opinions because they're never placed in a situation where those kind of opinions are needed. However, the conditioning exists nonetheless, and for many people, will emerge as they leave their rural environments and enter the more complicated/sophisticated areas of the cities or other countries.

Whenever I think about Islam, I tend to remember the few young friends I've had, and so, seen how they changed over the period of a decade, until they reached their 30s whereupon they all turned heavily conservative. In their 20s, they'd have premarital sex, possibly drink alcohol or do drugs, etc but when they approach their settling down period, their entire past is wiped clean, and now they're the perfect example of a good Muslim. I have no doubt if required to make a public display of their adherence to Islamic laws, they'd do so even if, inside, they believe it's all hooey. Those same people have spent time in the West since they turned devout, and haven't regressed to their previous liberal spirits but remained conservative, because, wherever you go there is a community of Muslims watching each other. The same as it was in their own countries.. a community watching each other, and very quick to report/gossip about those who deviate.

• Advertisement

I suspect it's already too late, because those who are already here will have relatively large families, and that next generation will inherit the culture/attitudes of their parents.. or the foreign community that has sprung up around them (due to ever increasing numbers joining).

Longford is a great example, I think. Used to be a nice town (30 yrs ago), a little rough but decent. Slow decline, and then, the Travellers moved in with larger numbers. Faster decline. Relatively recently (7-8 years ago) it changed to be that there's not so many travellers and it's mostly migrants/refugees, with the Irish moving away or to one side of the town. Now, it's an absolute shithole. Not the fault of the foreigners, btw. The lack of industry or local economy means that incomes are low, and options are limited.. Which is the case for many of the midland towns, and you'll easily see how flooded they've become with foreign populations, but they are all somewhat lacking in economic prospects, and so, a degree of hopelessness sets in. Ballinasloe was never a particularly successful town, but it had some industry. Now, it's a ghost town except for the Travellers and the Foreigners plonked into living there, and there's a decided lack of investment to provide them with any options in life.

TBH That's one of my biggest gripes with Irish governments. They encourage foreigners/migrants to come to Ireland, and then... seem to forget about them, except when it comes to a news release. These foreign populations end up settling in the rural areas or small(ish) towns, which have emptied due to the young Irish moving to the cities or abroad, because there's so little in the way of work options. The collection or signing days for welfare (which don't happen now due to covid), are a fair representation of this when you consider how much the demographic spread of those signing are.

Yup. Honestly, I suspect it's too late, and we've already established the population needed for us to end up the same as Denmark. Just need one or two generations for it to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭malinheader

Some if not most Towns and cities are ruined already. Its been highlighted for years what was happening around the country but it has all fallen on deaf ears. I noticed in alot of larger towns the indigenous population seems to be moving to the outskirts and sadly becoming the minority in the town itself.

Must be an eye opener for the first time visitor or tourist coming into our towns, alot of the old shops taken over by fast food shops and food markets from Asia, Middle East and Africa.

Really must be a bummer travelling to Ireland to come across this. Nothing like the bord failte advertisements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Very sad how our great country has been destroyed.

Sad is an understatement. What we are leaving for our children and generations to come is criminal. The old Ireland is long gone and you can keep the new multicultural Ireland that our government has created.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I believe that the proclaimation of independance had a little line in it about Ireland right to exist could not be extinguished save by the destruction of the Irish race

Obviously the linking of the Irelands existence with that of the Irish people is very problematic now and means that they were believers in the great replacement conspiracy.

• Advertisement

Sorry but I'm not really getting what you're saying.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,767 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts deleted

We have 2 threads covering refugees and asylum seekers. Do not make this into another

Last week this is what you posted about a hedious crime to a 12 year old girl in France. A mod also posted that links to this should not be posted as it has nothing to do with Ireland.

I totally disagree with these comments after listening to the details on RTE Radio this morning.

The illegal immigrant who committed this crime had been asked, yes asked to leave the country on numerous occasions. And unfortunately did not, and yes the same accounts of this have been reported in this country. Also it has now come to light that only 1 in 10 deportation orders are carried out and completed an estimate that I would say would be very true in our own country.

So although this sickening crime did not happen in Ireland I think people should be allowed to post what is happening in other countries when Ireland 🇮🇪 and our own government seem intent on following the same route as France and other European countries.

I stand to be corrected on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

It is a fairly accurate assessment, the average deportation rate over time, from 2000 on, is around 15%.

In 2019, 2,535 individuals were issued a deportation order, while only 298 deportation orders were effected, this is equivalent to 11.76% of individuals issued a deportation order.

People argue that successful appeals significantly affect the deportation rate, but in 2019, IPAT upheld 71% of asylum decisions and overturned 29% of asylum decisions. Accounting for overturned decisions, 16.56% of deportation orders were effected, this remains well below 20%

In 2018, 1,187 individuals were issued a deportation order, while only 163 deportation orders were effected, this is equivalent to 13.73% of individuals issued a deportation order.

In 2018, IPAT upheld 70% of asylum decisions and overturned 30% of asylum decisions. Accounting for overturned decisions, 19.65% of deportation orders were effected.

This is consistent with the deportation rate from previous years; fewer than 20% of failed asylum claimants were deported between 2011 and 2018. This was true in 2001 and 2003 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

A long read.....Unlike other Western European countries, the debate on immigration continues to grow in France at the moment as there’s an increasing concern surrounding the massive amount of both legal and illegal immigration to France and uninterrupted issues of crime, racial identity & the changing demographics of the country. After the murder of a 12-year-old girl Lola by an illegal Algerian woman and the failure of the state to deport her, the debate of mass migration and the negative impacts it has had on French society, the direction in which the country is going and how they can put a stop to it are all coming to a head.

A study by Ifop shows that 7 out of 10 are against accepting more migrants, as they believe migrants make France less safe. 60% of people believe that welcoming foreign nationals is no longer possible because of differences in values and problems of cohabitation. A nearly identical share of people believes that the massive amount of immigration plays a negative role in defining French identity & the cohesion of society. The identity fears go hand in hand with negative assumptions about the impact of immigration on secularism; with 61% of people seeing the adverse effects of immigration on French identity & the cohesion of society. While 6-in-10 people favored a referendum to limit immigration, with 68% of people aged 18-24 in favor, 60%(25-34 y/o), 63%(35-49 y/o), and 58%(50-64 y/o). Showing 61% of the left disapproved, the center parties we 50/50, and 93% approval of the right. An additional poll by Ifop showed 69% of French people say "that there are too many immigrants today in France" and that 75% believe that France is now in decline. 56% believe French people have become foreigners in their own country. 67% no longer feel at home as before. 62% believe that "immigration is the main cause of insecurity”, 70% France must remain a Christian country, 69% that Islam is a threat to the identity of France.

Government statistics illustrate that France has seen a clear change in its demographics. If we use Strasbourg as an example, the city that is home to the European Parliament has seen the most dramatic change out of all urban areas. In 1968, just 1.9 % of children came from non-European origins. By 2015, the number had increased to 32.9 %, 1 in 3. The figures do not take into account the large number of migrants who have arrived since the height of the migrant crisis in 2015 and have not been updated. A demographic study by INSEE shows more than 2 out of 5 young children in France are immigrants or the children or grandchildren of immigrants. 41.6% were descendants of immigrants going back three generations, while 29.6% were of non-European origin. Compared to just 7.6% of 60-64-year-olds and 3.1% of people aged 80+ were either directly immigrants or the descendants of immigrants dating back three generations 

The French economist Charles Gave predicted a declining white population and a growing Muslim population, concluding that France will have a Muslim majority by 2057. Pew Research estimated 5.7 million Muslims lived in France but predicts that the Muslim population could grow to 12.6 million by 2050. In 2016 Arabic-Muslim first names represented 18% increasing to 21.6% in 2018, compared to 2.6% in 1969 compared to 21.53% (2020). 54% of first names in the Seine-et-Marne region alone were Arab-Muslim.

There is a genuine concern among Europeans that people of European origin are on course to become a minority in their countries due to endless mass migration, and their concern is present in France’s urban areas. INSEE Demographic Data by France Stratégie project ‘The Evolution of Residential Segregation in France’ paints a grim picture of France’s changing population in urban areas. Over a 20-year period between 1998 and 2018, the number of children born to at least one foreign parent increased by 63.6%, the number of children born to two foreign parents increased by 43%, and the number of children born to two French parents decreased by 13.7%. In 2018 alone, 31.4% of children born in France had at least one parent born abroad. The year before in 2017, they have seen a phenomenon of 0-18 year-olds born to non-European immigrant parents representing 53% of the areas of Seine-Saint-Denis, 84% in Clichy-sous-Bois. 61% in Limoges 51% in Rennes. The highest increase was in Brest (Brittany) went from 5.3 % in 1990 to 15.2% in 2017.

What will make this worse is that Macron is set to introduce a new asylum and immigration bill in 2023 with the aim of “better distribution” of asylum seekers and foreign nationals across France, particularly in “rural areas”, which he labeled as an ‘opportunity during the demographic transition’…well the people of a town called Callac in Brittany are still resisting and are opposed to a resettlement scheme called “Horizon Project” a wealthy family created, describing it as a multicultural “Noah’s Ark of modern times”. A scheme financed from a private Merci fund created by Marie-France Cohen plans to place 70+ refugee families in a town with an unemployment rate of 17.6%. The residents had the audacity to point out that no one in the Cohen family will have to actually deal with the consequences of their experiment. Thankfully they weren’t charged for hate speech like a French mayor Robert Ménard was fined after mentioning that French children were being “replaced” in schools in his town. 

The term “Great Replacement” was coined by French author Renaud Camus in the 1960s to describe “the phenomenon that the indigenous French population is being gradually replaced by Ara, Berber, Turkish and Muslim populations.” The term is used to describe the massive demographic changes in European countries where the White majority is rapidly becoming a minority. I stay clear of the term, I don’t use it as it's convoluted with theory. In the context of the current situation that 60% of French people who are white believe that the ‘great replacement’ is occurring via mass migration, displacing European people. This isn’t isolated to white French people, African migrants in the city of Val-de-Reuil were complaining about a "great replacement" of Africans by new Kurdish migrants which has led to brawls and tension in the town between the migrant groups. It's worth noting the mayor volunteered his city to welcome many immigrant families. It's important to note that a survey carried out by the CSA institute shows that 80% of French people believe that anti-White racism exists in France. In September this year, the Deputy Mayor of Mureaux resigned after he’d been subjected to repeated racial attacks, death threats and homophobia. Another example is Several French universities are accused of promoting anti-White ideologies and Christmas markets promoting the “Blacks only” policy.

If you made it this far ill post the rest later

It's also worth considering that the lack of deportations extends beyond that of Asylum seekers, and involves migrants who over-stayed with expired visas (Brazilian language students being a good example), those who broke the visa requirements, etc.

Ireland's history of enacting deportations is ridiculous. Often makes me wonder why they bother to make the ruling at all, when there's so little effort to get these people out of the country.

Honestly, I'd say it's relevant because it involves the manner in which European culture and societies have shifted over time, in relation to migrant rights, and their impact on the stability of European societies. I can appreciate the mods pov about immigration threads, but to be fair, any discussion about multiculturalism would have to include many references to immigration. The same with generalised commentary about criminal acts abroad, if there is a pattern that has emerged, and whether that same pattern could emerge in Ireland.

For example, I'd look at the criminal gangs of Southern France, many of whom came from Eastern Europe, and Northern Africa. You see similar gangs emerge in Germany's northern port cities, and again, in many other European port cities. Their behaviour is far more aggressive/violent than the native gangs who seem to understand that it's better to engage their "business" under the radar, and the turf battles rarely developed into open violence, and yet, with the infusion of migrant groups, the conflicts between native criminal gangs and those from foreign groups, have become extremely nasty.

All of which contributes, somewhat, to the topic of multiculturalism, and how foreign groups have integrated/assimilated or have remained apart from the mainstream host culture. It's worth considering what has been brought into host nations by foreign groups. For example, I spent most of my teenage period holidaying in Provence, and know many French people as close friends, and the points often raised is that the nature of crime has significantly changed, with far more violent/deadly crime becoming more common, whereas in the past, while there was violence... it was usually far less likely to result in significant damage to those involved. The manner in which people perceive violent crime has changed.. and that impacts on how the local culture develops over time (due to the responses by the native population, the protections they implement, the arming of the police, etc).

Some of that is the natural development of countries, but for places like Provence which tend to be stuck in a time dilation bubble, there had to be external influence for most changes to occur.. and considering the amount of immigration over the last 30 years, multiculturalism/foreign cultural infusion, are prime suspects for the negative changes to provincial societies.

Before you try and introduce Multiculturalism into a country, a clear guideline on illegal immigrants including the amount that the country and its services can sustain, the fields and positions that need to be filled and a few very more important ones is how illegal migrants are going to be screened and vetted, also stopped entering the country and more importantly removed when detained. I can't comment on any other country but Ireland imo has totally done non of the above and has decided to make it up as they go along. What's happening with the Ukrainians now and accommodation as an example.

It's a crying shame and a good example of our government that we cannot implement this better than alot of others being an island surrounded by water.

To be fair, there's a template out there for how immigration is handled, and the general rights of migrants. It's not as if we're at the beginning of the changes in migration patterns, as per just after WW2. Immigration, and refugee movements have been ongoing for 60 years now.. so the only reason for a country to be this inept, is that they simply don't care about the native population.

I've travelled to 17 countries in my life where I needed to obtain a visa (work or extended stays), and they've all got systems in place to protect the native population, the economies in place, and are rather strict in how visas/permissions are managed. While migrants have "rights", they're never placed higher than what's beneficial to the host nation (and it's inhabitants).

TBH I doubt any nation has really acted as Ireland has regarding inward migration, and migrant rights (in connection with deportations and the breaking of our laws regarding the status of foreign groups). At least, I haven't heard of any.. and I keep my ears pretty wide open regarding international travel, and the places where foreigners can settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

The Unherd podcast with Ivar Arpi was interesting enough. It's clear its the way our country is going. Rather depressing tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

But the justice minister was on tv saying the Garda were funded and being helped.

Read the replies below the video and see the real feelings to what's happening to our country.

Just a question, and it's a genuine question. Where or what do these romas do as I very rarely come across any of them in any jobs.????

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Hungry Burger

As a people we are empathetic to others to a fault, it’s one of the great traits of Irish people, especially considering the suffering of our own people in the past. We naturally want to help others who are less fortunate, however I think this empathetic feeling has been abused by our government and by strangers who do not care anything of Ireland except the benefits upon which they have been handed on a plate.

It used to anger me a lot, that in a couple of generations our nation will be completely changed and our children’s children will be left to pick up the pieces but now I’m just sad. The Ireland I grew up in is gone, our great country destroyed, and the worse thing about it is this was completely self inflicted and avoidable.

Everybody knows the answer to that question, whether they want to admit it or not.

Bord failte won't be showing this advertisement of our capital.

Scumbags that were likely all paying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Our future doctors and engineers folks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

I think Ireland is a better place because of it's immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Would Roma have been asylum-seekers?

Surely Roma are from post-2004 EU countries? So they can freely come here?

Are you referring to Roma who arrived pre 2004?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

Asylum is incredibly unlikely, they are a product of the 2004 and 2007 EU enlargements. Romani undoubtedly have high welfare rates, however access to welfare for Romani is complicated by the condition of Habitual Residence i.e. demonstrating a connection to Ireland. Migrant organisations criticise the limits that HRC place on the Romani and other migrants.

Advertisement