Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eircodes

• 14-10-2022 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭

Thought this might be better suited to this forum as a lot of ye live up long lanes!

So for 99% of people eircodes are great.

For us it is a nightmare.

When you put our eircode into Google maps, it sends the courier up a forest path with no access to our house. There is a thick forest of 250M between the end of the path and our house. The road to our house goes from a public road 800M in the other direction.

So Eircode say its not their problem as the eircode is correctly on the building.

Google are uncontactable even though we have used their form to identify an incorrect route numerous times.

The main problem is that everyone uses eircodes now and we have to argue with people not to use it. Even the ambulance service uses it.

Anyone have any suggested solutions? Couriers just dump packages in the forest and we have no way of getting them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭alps

Go onto google maps. Put a pin drop at the access point to the forestry where the courier is sent to. At the bottom of the screen there is a "label" button. Put whatever message you wish on that label..like No entry to farm etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Put sign at entrance to lane with your eircode pointing 800m that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭emaherx

Google maps is not the only mapping software used by courier company's. Bigger ones may be more likely to use fleet GPS units like TomTom, probably be difficult/impossible to get every possible mapping software company to update the issue with their maps.

Do you own the forestry, or otherwise possible to get a sign put up at that lane stating that there is no residence down the lane?

We have one company arriving at our door regularly with different drivers delivering water bottles for drinking fountains, they are meant for a company on a road parallel to ours, it's obviously just an issue with whatever system that company uses as no one else has ever made the same mistake.

The bigger issue is packages being dumped! No need or excuse for that carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

Packages being dumped seems to be the done thing these days. It doesn’t seem that long ago when every package had to be signed for. Now they just drop it at the door and run. I often wonder what percentage of the packages get destroyed by rain, or indeed stolen, when people aren’t home all day. Who covers the cost of such losses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭minerleague

Can you get an eircode for (proper ) entrance to the farm or does it have to be a building? Couriers or ambulance would be on right road at least???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

For Google maps report a missing road (not the general problem form) and you can draw the actual lane up to your front door. If it gets added they won't be guessing access is available through nearby roads any more, they'll go the direct route.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 releasevalve

Not saying it will fix this problem but handy app for directing someone to find something in a field or shed is what3words map is divided into couple of square feet squares and identified by 3 words. Sounds daft but worth a look.

what3words

Absolutely useless in this scenario. And most others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

Eircode insist on the code being on the building, not the entrance

• Advertisement

We don't own the forest lane and the owner is not friendly and will tear down any signs we put up.

The problem is that the couriers do not go to our entrance, so will not see this sign. They seem to just blindly follow google maps and then dump the packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mrlova

Have you contacted with the support? They helped me to update my code in database.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silverdream

They dump the package, take a photo with location to prove they delivered it, and then they are gone. It's quicker for them than trying to get a signature

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

In fairness, a lad turned up here the other day with a small packet that fitted through the letterbox. There was no one home, but he phoned me before he posted it through the box to confirm he was at the right house....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Good loser

Would it be an idea to delete the eircode or get some person - not necessarily nearby - to take parcels on your behalf.

Is it possible to get an eircode for a derelict house/yard?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Yes this is all the go now especially in the run up to Christmas. Picked up a bunch of soggy cardboard boxes from beside a tree yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mrlova

I would recommend you to contact with the support of this site. They helped me in my Eircode issue past month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Davyboy1956

Hi Arctictree

I had a similar issue with google maps - couriers, take-away deliveries, taxis etc were calling to my house instead of a house on another road because the section of road outside my house was incorrectly named on google maps. I tried many many times using the contact / report a problem option on googlemaps to no avail !!

This went on for 2 years.

In the end I contacted googlemaps via twitter and using the DM facility they asked me for as much info as possibe... screen grabs of the house, road, eircode etc etc...

I even drew a line showing the entrance to the house

The issue was sorted within a week including showing a dotted line to the house !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

You gotta love this add + what3words

Hi, I missed your reply. Trying to get in contact with Google now via Twitter. This has gone on far too long. I dread the day we have to get one of the emergency services up here...

Advertisement