Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Monitoring/Automation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭silver_sky

I need a bit of a rethink for my automations for grid charging with zappi, battery, and eddi...

At the moment when my zappi charger is running during the cheap period (2-5am) (or eddi boosting during the night) the automation is setting timed charge/discharge to on and so pulls from the grid. However, this automation is based on the state of each device from the myenergi API. Not a good idea relying on a cloud status for local action!

Internet, API outages, or delay in the checks with the car has meant the battery being used up for charging or water heating when the grid should have been used. It worked mostly, but not ideal and the main thing is no two actions generally happened on the same night. Further complicated when you add in the battery charging which is currently semi-automated to avoid clashes.

As I have local access to the Solis I want to use that instead for the decision making. Initially I thought to flip on timed charge/discharge if the battery current was above 20A (1kW~) but sure once it's changed to timed charge/discharge that will shift to grid power so an automation based on that state would switch off. Then I thought of the Solis Meter Active Power, but that won't read anything until the battery is gone.

Any suggestions how to approach this?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Why not trigger the Zappi/Eddi boost from HA? You could enable/disable timed charge/discharge as part of the same automation then. Still reliant on the cloud API, but much less likely to end up with a flat house battery.

I suppose I'm trying to separate the switch on/off for grid charging from the individual device level (zappi, eddi, battery) so all could work at the same time or with overlaps. My current Eddi boost is using the API and that works but same issues.

e.g. if I want to charge the battery, and the car during the same night each automation currently sets the timed charge/discharge on and off. That could get messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Do what @connesha suggested a few posts back.

Use his code and set the SOC you want to have in the morning (when night rate ends) and that will charge the battery slowly during the night.

Then the car/eddi can't drain the battery at night, works great for me so far.

The code is cool, that if you set a SOC lower than your current SOC it just keeps the battery at the same level (charges with 0A for the night)

Anyone know what register and values I would change on a Solis to limit export please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭AntonP

Hey. My grain of salt here.

Got the same stick, disappointed about the lack of second remote server option...

Now, perhaps ye want to push a bit the manufacturer. Poking with the javascript I found a couple of interesting things:

if you edit the code and update the "3" for "52" where is highlighted, when you click "Quick Settings" you'd get what we wanted to see:

When I enter my IP address and port and TCP and save, it prompts me to restart the dongle to take effect but doesn't do the job.

The text in Chinese translated: "reserved for later use"

but seems that's a false statement ?

When you check the http code and javascript:

If you open http://<your ip address>/remote.html

You can see a page with the format, but without data .

Which suggests they disabled it (partially). :( why has this been disabled is beyond me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ricta

I am a HA user, RasPi4 with HA image, not s/w trained, manage to muddle through the difficult bits, given enough time and patience. I use automations, have installed integrations via HACS and get my head wrecked trying to sort out mqtt issues every week lately! I have a Shelly EM added to the Energy Dashboard.

For the last month or so I have been investigating Solar PV and getting some quotes. I notice that the most common hybrid inverter offered by installers is Solis. Having read through this thread, it looks like integrating Solis in HA, and getting desired automation to work, is a lot of heavy duty work. Or maybe not, maybe most of the heavy lifting has been done and the Solis integration is tried and tested, not too difficult to setup, and makes easy work of automating the interaction of the various elements of a solar pv system. Maybe all the work here on Solis is because it is the most common inverter in Ireland, or is it because it is the most hackable and therefore the easiest to manipulate and get the best customisation out of?

How would inverters from Solis, Solax and Solaredge (or, indeed, any others available in Ireland) compare to each other for ease of integration into HA and for overall features to use to get maximum benefit from a PV system, including a battery and EDDI? I would probably prefer to choose an inverter that makes my HA life easier, but at the same time not scrimp on features it makes available in HA.

Any one have any thoughts on that?

Are there any threads here dedicated to Solax/Solaredge automation? I'd be interested in reading peoples experiences getting them to work.

Quite a lot of the installers here in Ireland use Solis inverters. Also seem to be common enough in UK. Due to that, ground has already been tread as far as integrations with homeassistant so it's a lot easier.

The integration I'm using in homeassistant (Solarman) works through the Solarman data logging stick. I believe this also works with Sofar inverters. If you get a Solis inverter today it will most likely come with the new S3 data logging stick which is Solis' own, and it doesn't offer the same access. I had to buy the older model (about 60e) to get the integrations to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ricta

So, are you using the Solarman stick or the "old" Solis stick? or both, piggybacked? Do you lose connectivity to Soliscloud with the Solarman stick? any warranty/support issues with that? It's probably most likely that I will end up with a Solis Hybrid Inverter. I like to get clear in my mind what's best for manageing it, thus not waste money buying "wrong" dataloggers

Sorry, probably should have clarified. I'm using the "Solis" DLS-W Data Logging Stick which is actually made by/based on the Solarman platform. This is linked as normal to Solis Cloud so I still have access in the app and Solis have been able to perform firmware updates etc.

The newer Solis Data Logging Stick S3-WIFI-ST which came with my install doesn't have the same weakness that allows the control. You can gain access (with some hoop jumping) to the data but not control; however, it's via the Solis API so is a roundtrip to their servers vs the older stick (above) that allows local access on the same network.

• Advertisement

Have done some digging and found that on my 6kW hybrid on a current firmware this is 43073 to enable EPM, and 43074 to set the limit. At least in my case (check your own if trying this!) setting 43073 to 48 enabled LimbyEPM with Failsafe mode, and 0 disabled. The limit scale is 1 to 100W so setting it as 20 would be 2000W, and so forth.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

There was definitely less battery discharge but unclear whether what did drain was sufficient. I have a feeling the house mostly ran on import. We'll see tomorrow only. I'll have the smart meter data then.

I can't even check roughly with the myenergi data as that has gone a bit mad. I've a ticket open with them to sort it.

No difference with import. The battery drain is slower so it would indicate less export. I can't see export in the smart meter data unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Have read most of the thread but not all, admittedly. Is there any smart switch or sensor that can be bought which would act like a poor man's eddi, to switch immersion on and or reduce its draw when generation is not over 3KW?

😎

@graememk Has done this with a 20A tuya switch. Will have look for the post later if he doesn't beat me to it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

It was something like this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heater-Control-Neutral-Required-Gateway/dp/B0963KS4YC/

I just schedule it to come on at midday until the tank is hot.

To do an on/off diverter (eg only turn on when there is 3kw excess) you'll need to have something that can measure its power as it makes it easier to calculate when to turn off.. As when it turns on the excess goes away! That has to be accounted for in the automation.

With the Solis/Solarman integration I can see what the Solis sees as the meter power, so import & export. You could set an integration based on export greater than a certain amount. Obviously once the heater starts that will reduce so you need to work around that but it would be a start. Other option would be a standalone monitor with CT clamp that allows some integration.

@graememk so that switch is just a digital timer, if I understand correctly? And then the immersion just goes off once it reaches its temperature, or you have a digital thermometer linked to it too? And just stick on for noon when sun is most likely out, and bad luck (and day rate) if it’s cloudy?

😎

sounds like the signal to turn on and then off need to be based off separate triggers to avoid the problem of excess reducing once immersion on. So immersion triggered on when excess ie export above 3KW, and triggered off when tank reaches temperature or import from actual grid increase to E.g 1.2KW? This would remove the issue of export dipping below 3KW.

😎

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Battery if it's cloudy, in the summer there's always plenty of solar during the day,

I have temperature sensor shoved under the insulation at the top of the tank. Turns off at 65c.

Out working so there's always hot water to get cleaned up in the evening.

is in relation to observing data locally??

The non near instantaneous read outs on solis cloud is very disappointing. Any workarounds official or otherwise welcome. Almost worth a webcam in front of the inverter screen 😂

Read half the thread so far, struggling with some of the PHD stuff, but am I right that the solarman stuff is all out of date as solis/solis cloud now blocks LAN use?

Post edited by poker--addict on

😎

So the long and the short of it is; the older Solarman data logging sticks allowed you to pass through Modbus requests from your own network while still happily working away with Solis Cloud. The newer S3-WIFI-ST doesn't allow this.

If you have a S3-WIFI-ST, and would prefer local access, you could just disconnect and connect your own RS-485 cable and have direct Modbus access. The downside of this is that the Solis Cloud app is now non-functional, and you won't get any firmware updates.

i have the new S3. How frequent are firmware updates? Presumably one could plug the S3 back in every few months to do any updates?

is a 3rd party logger required then? Excuse the ignorance.

😎

Frequent enough. Usually only if you request it though.

Yes, you can replace the S3 with another device to act as a Modbus master. @reklamos used an Elfin EW11(?) device, and had a way of having the datalogger connected at same time.

Has anyone fitted a tesla t-smart for the immersion, or a similar product? It looks like it would be a big advancement for my setup and management. Especially if one could trigger it to come on during high PV production.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭championc

What's the difference between that and an Eddi ?

I think an Eddi modulates power to the tank? Any excess PV goes to tank correct me if wrong?

This is just a smart timer which includes a thermostat and some smart functions- but your 3kw immersion will be on or off at 3kw?

and around 400 euro.

😎

Rather than having to swap out the immersion, why don't you just swap out the immersion timer switch for something like a Shelly and a contactor?

• Advertisement

I had not considered that as I was keen to be able to see the temperature in the tank, but I have now seen Shelly has a temp add on, which I guess could get a sufficiently accurate reading from outside the tank, (inside the outer insulation/covering).

This seems to be the shelly option Jonathan? https://shop.shelly.cloud/temperature-sensor-addon-for-shelly-1-1pm-wifi-smart-home-automation#313?

And a shelly one relay?

the current setup is one of the APT immersion timer, two 3kw immersions one near bottom one 1/3 down tank.

😎

Advertisement