Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parents leave

Options
  • 14-10-2022 6:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi guys and Gals can anyone tell me that has taken parents leave in the past, when they say you get 7 weeks off if that 7 weeks at 39 hours.

Reason i ask is i work a 48hrs per week- so if i want to take the parents week off its 48 hours im taking off not 39.

Parent’s leave entitles each parent to 7 weeks’ leave during the first 2 years of a child’s life, or in the case of adoption, within 2 years of the placement of the child with the family.

The leave period remains the same in the case of multiple births, for example if you have twins or if you adopt 2 or more children at the same time.

You may also qualify for a payment called Parent’s Benefit during parent’s leave. Parent’s leave is available to both employees and people who are self-employed. Parent’s Benefit is paid while you are on parent’s leave from work if you have enough social insurance (PRSI) contributions. If you are self-employed you should apply directly to the Department of Social Protection (DSP) for Parent’s Benefit at least 6 weeks before you intend to take parent’s leave.

Please note that your employer does not have to pay you while you are on parent’s leave, although some employers may ‘top-up’ your parent’s leave. If you qualify for Parent’s Benefit, you will get €250 each week.

Comments

Advertisement