Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lack of a Public Toilet at Cleveragh Retail Park

• 07-10-2022 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭

It surely should be a requirement that a retail park has one or 2 chemical public porta'loos no, for times like this - absolutely terrible carry on - if people take the time to shop in these retail parks you would think that the least the managements of the retail parks could do is supply a couple of toilets even if they were portaloos - I think they should be made to by law myself - or not get planning permission for the retail park without supplying a public toilet. am I the only one with that mindset?

Post edited by muffler on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Hi Andy,

You're right, but I would have thought you were long enough on the block to be aware that a lack of toilets generally in Sligo is a long standing issue of concern and "discomfort", and one that has been raised with the Co-Co far too many times to mention.

But exactly where it's at now, and where do you go from here? I'm not sure.

My attention was initially drawn to your thread as it appears on the short list as "Lack of a Pub", which I think regrettably, is just as accurate these days.

Post edited by Chauncey Gardner on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Haha - I am not even sure it would be the responsibility now for the CoCo to install toilets down at Cleveragh Retail park - I would say its the responsibility of the Retail Park management rather. - or even if all the shop tennants there at the retail park chipped in for supply and maintenance of a couple of toilets there for the public , after all people are going to shop there and spend their money with them ... but they will not let you use their toilets on their property so maybe the next best thing then would be to all chip in and supply a couple of toilets at the retail park. - even if I say, they were just porta-loos it would be better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

How long is that retail park on the go? If it's less than 20 years might do no harm to check planning documents to see if any form of public convenience was proposed.

I think I have found the right one, just now on e planning , planning number 0470037 received 16/04/2004:

I cannot seem to see a toilet listed in the original plan, unless the Cafe's toilet (when its open) is for use?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It is a problem all over the country.

There should be customer toilet facilities in all retail parks and out of town centres.

It should a condition of planning permission.

Some places have toilets and closed them during covid but have not re-opened them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭I told ya

Ah, back to 2004, just as the Celtic Tiger was was being wined.

Paddy The Planner, a cousin of Paddy the Plasterer, was just too busy with, (insert), to be worried about serving the public. He has left some trail around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Mothercare had a toilet available for public use, but it has long closed down.

Mr Price used to let customers use the staff toilet, but apparently somebody slipped and claimed in one of their other stores, so that's why they wouldn't let you use theirs.

It is not up to retailers to provide toilet facilities. The owners of the retail park would be responsible for that, but they won't even have the bins outside the stores emptied regularly

ah thats most probably it - insurance ... going back when it was smiths toys there where Mr. price is their toilet was open for customers of the store - come to think of it I dont think its ever been open for customers to use since its been under the ownership of Mr price.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It depends on the size and viability of the retail park/ out of town centre whether it should be a stand alone toilet.

A smaller place might not have staff to monitor the toilet and keep it clean.

Having it in a a unit where there are full time staff may be a better solution.

There can be an adjustment in the rent to allow for the cost involved.

i am sure there are plenty more places to shop with a toilet public can use freely ... either that or I will just shop online from home ... near my toilet LOL 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

maybe a visit to the loo before ya head out will probably greatly reduce the need to have a wee when you're out.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Spn744

Mr.Price let my 4 year old use their toilets last week but it was clearly a staff toilet. She’s only recently toilet trained so it’s awkward around that area but the Lidl or Dunnes stores around the corner are the best alternative however in a hurry you would be stuck in that retail park!

yes I bet you would get a lot of all that you mention alright .....

Some people are worse than animals in public loos. Wonder what they’re own bogs are like?

Advertisement