Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - BusConnects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Isn't bus stop islands, where you have to cross a cycle lane to get from footpath to the bus stop, a standard part of BusConnects infrastructure proposals and no lights required? Why would that location need them?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭specialbyte

You're right these types of bus stop islands will be standard across BusConnects. They are planning on putting traffic lights on all of the islands. Yes, it is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,766 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

It's apparently due to representations from visually impaired groups who don't like the concept of bus stop islands. Whilst I can understand their concerns, the design is in widespread use in Ireland and elsewhere without any major issues, and this over-engineering is unlikely to make them any safer for the reasons mentioned in previous posts. Most cyclists will stop or slow to let pedestrians across, the type that won't stop probably won't pay any attention to the signals anyway. The idea that cyclists are some major threat to pedestrians is bogus, and generally only raised to deflect attention from the risk posed to both by drivers.

zebra markings on the cycle path to indicate priority would be more than sufficient. and what on earth is the second set of poles for? and why are they so tall? Designed (like much Irish cycling infra) by someone who never cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Initially I thought this was overkill, but this cycle lane isn't a standard cycle lane, it's basically a cycle motorway which will be extremely busy. A mix of slower cyclists and very fast cyclists will use, with 2 effective cycle lanes (slow lane / fast lane).

I can 100% picture a cyclist stopping on the inside to let a person or small child cross, while a fast moving cyclist can't see, continues apace and hits the pedestrian.

It helped me to picture the Grand Canal cycleway and imagine plonking a random bus stop on the outside of the cycle lane. Doesn't feel right there?...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

What a load of nonsense can people not look and use their own judgement

• Advertisement

Also, the widely held assumption that cyclists don't, and never will, obey rules of the road, such as red lights, is wrong in my opinion.

Cyclists have been ignored and forgotten about in terms of infrastructure. It's hardly a surprise they don't respect the rules. Car drivers show no respect to them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

But other countries use bus stop islands on main cycle routes without issue. So long as the design is right, conflict is keep to a minimum, even without the zebra crossing lights, never mind actual traffic lights

It's aimed at visually impaired people, it's not intended for other users.

As a society, we can't abandon groups like these because of "street clutter". They deserve a world that helps them navigate easier.

we can't abandon groups like these because of "street clutter".

It is overkill and completely unnecessary, especially when a zebra crossing would do the job just as well. We have an overabundance of signage in the city and it's disgusting how it has remained unchecked for so long. The amount of defunct/out of date signs is ridiculous as well.

Clearly these are relevant examples of unnecessary stress clutter. A crossing at the bus island for visually impaired people is not comparable.

"Perhaps we should ask a blind person for their opinion" is something I might say if they didn't already ask them. They were consulted, gave feedback and this is the chosen design.

The reasons given here in opposition to the crossing are all horse crap. We can't ignore blind people because "sure cyclists don't obey lights anyway",or "sure other countries have ignored them too".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭specialbyte

This isn't a "cycle motorway". It's a narrowed 1.5m wide cycle lane to be used in only one direction. This is far plonking a bus stop on the Grand Canal Cycle Route. The NTA have narrowed the cycle lane near these bus stops to prevent overtaking from occurring.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,225 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You contradict yourself in that post.

You say it is hardly a surprise that cyclists don't respect the rules while also claiming that the widely held assumption that they don't obey rules of the road is wrong.

You only need to stand on a footpath for around two minutes on any Dublin street to see an example of a cyclist breaking the rules.

Wow that's a bit of a push. My point is clear.

If that's the best you can do to argue against a pedestrian crossing for visually impaired people, then you're losing your argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It’s the current terminus, so not exactly surprising given that the bus is laying over between journeys?

The crossing can be put in without all the lamps and poles and everything else that goes along with those sort of things. Why wouldn't a zebra crossing do the job here, just like you see in every single supermarket car park in the country? Do blind people not do any shopping?

I am not arguing against the pedestrian crossing.

"There are no definitive levels of traffic flow that one can say require particular types of crossing.  It is the combination of the number and type of pedestrian movements, the road width, traffic speed, traffic volumes, etc.  The presence of significant numbers of vulnerable road users such as unaccompanied children, elderly people, visually impaired pedestrians and wheelchair users may require a controlled crossing regardless of traffic volumes. "

Given that unaccompanied children, elderly people and visually impaired pedestrians are more likely to use public transport than others, a controlled crossing would be justified. They are not any more likely to use a shop though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Pedestrians are no more likely to use a signal controlled crossing than cyclists in this scenario. It will go completely ignored by 100% of users.

A zebra crossing giving pedestrians continuous priority would actually be far, far better. And with respect to the groups who gave feedback on the bus islands, they are the ones suggesting we need to do things differently from lived experience of millions in continental Europe. They should have a better reason then "cause we are worried".

This is designed for visually impaired members of our community. The fact that other pedestrians won't use it is correct and also completely irrelevant.

You're assuming visually impaired people will happily take a leap of faith at a zebra crossing. A light controlled crossing will give more comfort. This is what their community asked for. They asked them. They responded. Do you just not care about their lived experience and opinion?

It's a major assumption that continental Europe has designed it's infrastructure with visually impaired people in mind. Do you know that for a fact? In my experience, a huge number of European cities don't even have audible prompts at pedestrian crossings.

Post edited by brianc89 on

There is zero difference in terms of "leaps of faith" when it comes to crossings vs traffic lights. Zero. Anyone willing to step out into traffic because there's a green man showing is dicing with death, no matter how impaired their eyesight is.

Anyone willing to barrel through a zebra crossing while there are people crossing/waiting to cross will do exactly the same with traffic lights. Sure it's safer, but there's a trade-off to be made in terms of safety vs practicality. Why have zebra crossings anywhere, if lights are safer?

They're pretty unnecessary, ugly, a waste of money and counter-productive. Plus, they look stupid.

• Advertisement

Dicing with death? Sorry yeah, I'd forgotten how deadly light controlled pedestrian crossings are.

Anyway, just to be clear I've no issue what sort of crossing they choose, providing it's one that works for all members of our community.

You've summed up my actual issue nicely in your last comment "they look stupid". This is the reason people here are against them, which is not an acceptable reason to dismiss people's needs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is a certain disability activist who is forever railing against pedestrianised streets. Its not a trump card - they still need to make a reasonable case. The cack-handed way we have implemented the junctions in BusConnects plans puts cyclists at much more risk for the veneer of safety for pedestrians who don't trust zebra crossings.

Ireland needs to get more used to zebra crossings, which will hopefully happen as/if we get more of them. The alternative is to have far fewer crossings in general which is also a significant impediment for visually impaired people. As is the amount of street clutter we build up on the pavements.

A pedestrian right of way zebra crossing provides more priority to pedestrians and makes more sense then requiring them to press a button a wait for a green man (which no one will do anyway).

Talk about cherry picking parts of a post that you think you have an answer for.

Walking out into traffic just because you have a green man is dicing with death in this country, no matter how well you can/cannot see

The "stupid" comment was an add on at the very end. The fact you lasered in on that part and ignored the previous 4 negative points says more about your argument than mine. They're a complete waste of time, effort and money.

People are working off the assumption that these were put in like this to aid others who aren't 100% mobile. The lack of a proper dishing of the footpath on both sides contradicts that assumption.

The cycleway doesn't look finished in that picture. Probably needs a finishing surface which level it up nicely to the path.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Qrt

Blowing 50k on this type of stuff per stop is not going to help anyone. What would help more are stronger rules on lights and bells on bikes at the point of sale or a complete reconsideration on the types of bikes we sell on this country to become more like NL/DK/DE. Bear in mind this wouldn't do much but it would still be a lot more than what these do to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Any news on the bus corridor for greenhills and rathmines areas?

Have we an ETA yet? 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Not yet. They are still lodging the first batch of planning applications. Five of them have been lodged to date.

This page summarises progress to date.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

Moving a discussion point here from the other Bus Connects thread.

I am wondering if the full impact of College Green pedestrianisation on Bus Connects has been discussed.

As you can see below, buses will use College Green North / South only with no East / West routes. A key part of Bus Connects is connections around O'Connell Bridge, so all major spines need to intersect here. Additionally, turning in any direction on O'Connell Bridge wants to be severely limited or eliminated to decrease pedestrian conflicts.

With all that in mind, the resulting plan (below) leaves the core city centre areas almost entirely void of Public Transport. Not by design - but I don't believe anyone has discussed the impacts of this.

• Advertisement

Responding to your replies from other thread.

First, just to state I am 110% for College Green pedestrianisation. Regarding the updated plans to avoid College Green, I don't agree this is a foregone conclusion and the best compromise.

Fact is, the original Bus Connects plan was designed using College Green. Then we took out this major artery and made that plan work around it. It's not really a compromise, just the leftover plan which we're meant to accept.

It's only become apparent to me now, just how much of the city centre we're leaving void of Public Transport. The plan is hyper focused on connections and as a result, I would suggest we've forgotten about people who are actually traveling to the city centre - which is most people.

Is it really too late to even discuss this?

Advertisement