Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amsterdam Marathon 16th Oct 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Yeah, rain seems likely but it's the fairly strong breeze being forecast that I'm more concerned about. There seems to be a spell of blustery weather forecast from Friday through Monday so chances of us getting a still day seem unlikely at this stage. Hopefully it'll just end up being a light breeze rather than anything too extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,124 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Wind looks like it will come from SW so the stretch out alongside canal (12-19km) is where it will be worst felt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭chabsey

Wind is a killer, if it's bad I'll be trying to stick with the pacer group and use them as a wind break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

Toughest section looks like 34k to the finish as that'll be right into the headwind.

I'm still hoping the weather Gods play ball 🤞

Yeah, I was thinking the same looking at the course map. Running the final 10k of a a marathon into a significant headwind does not sound like fun. Still plenty of time for it to change though.

Strangely enough the weather forecast in the official race app has been consistently predicting fine, clear weather with only a gentle 5kph breeze. I'd take that!

• Advertisement

Yeah forecast has changed, saturday was SWS, now it says WSW so it's the last quarter but the predicted rain volume has gone from 7mm to 2mm

Here's hoping there's some very large, extremely fit pacers who will block any headwind in the final 10k.

Must.Stop.Refreshing.Weather.

It's jumping from 1mm to 3.5mm on the day. Wind increasing to 28kmph. Nothing I can do about it but can't stop checking.

I'm the same. Can't help myself. I'm not even bothered about rain, just obsessing about wind speeds and directions. Probably falls under taper madness to be fair.

Big improvement 🤞

Had a sports massage yesterday morning with Peter Mathews. Cut the toenails last night, can't wait!

• Advertisement

That does look better, hopefully it's more like that and less like some of the other sites

The forecast is continuing to improve it seems. Feeling pretty good here apart from having a sore shin after my 3 year old son decided to jump on top of me in the bed this morning and drive his knee into my left shin. A reminder once again that it's an achievement to just make the start line in a marathon...

Yeah, wind speed dropping to acceptable levels and rain looking less likely. My two year old decided to sit on my back while I was strength conditioning ( in a plank)....I suppose technically that helped so they are sometimes a benefit :)

One of my friends is doing it.

Was on a bus last night and some kid was let run around on the bus while his mother was glued to her phone. The kid fell and landed on his foot. Some slightly swollen little toe but no fracture or break.

I'm now hesitant to check the weather for opposite reasoning, in case it changes back to being bad again! Fingers crossed it stays this good...and that I don't encounter any clumsy kids between now and the start.

Pretty crap start to Amsterdam as I got into a scuffle and was shouldered into the corridor wall on the other side of passport control by a queue skipping prlck. Lost my phone in the scuffle but didn't realise for about 5 minutes, had to run back after it.

On a positive, no wind

Perfect practice for the first couple of kms on Sunday ! Great news about the lack of wind.

Hate those kinds of people, at least you got there safely and have your phone so all good, especially the lack of wind. I'm heading tomorrow morning, excited now.

All good since, lovely place to run around, had some delicious pizza.

Expo a bit smaller than I was expecting.

What time do you think we should be inside the stadium and in our pen?

• Advertisement

I'm aiming to be there for 8.15. I'm just under 3k away so going to leave the hotel shortly before 8 and jog down. I'm just back from a short shake out in the Vondelpark and took the opportunity to figure out my route for the morning.

Lots of runners on the Ryanair flight out of Dublin this morning. I thought the expo was grand, nothing remarkable. Maurten had some good deals and I picked up a couple of hats and pairs of socks.

Yeah I'm aiming for around 8 as well, coming in from about 2.5km away. Hopefully get some sleep tonight. Good luck tomorrow guys, I won't know you to see but I hope you get the time you're planning for.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭MooShop

Best of luck to everyone running the marathon tomorrow.

Oitnof interest, which weather app is this? Great that it shows the wind direction, very handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Anyone else having issues with tracker?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

It's back up and working now

Good day at the office for me, 2:44:27. That's a 13 minute PB and gets me the Berlin qualifier which I suppose was my A goal. Wind was noticeable in places but not a major factor. The last 6 miles felt extremely tough but I didn't lose too much time. Felt on the verge of cramping a couple of times but luckily I escaped unscathed. I'll throw up a full report in a few days but would highly recommend Amsterdam to anyone thinking of doing it.

I'm having a beer in Two Chefs opposite the stadium if any of the Boards crew are at a loose end and happen to see this.

Super job @Sandwell you smashed it.

3:19:20 for me, a near 6 minute PB but I really noticed the wind, I went out too quick I search of 3:10. I was a bit greedy and lucky to get away with it, as I was slogging it.

Amazing support from the locals.

I'm back at hotel, felt quite sickly after it.

Well done @Wottle. Delighted that you got under the 3:20.

Yeah, the support was fantastic. Lost count of how many times I heard my name shouted by total strangers. It makes a difference.

• Advertisement

Well done, some great results

Advertisement