Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

‘Emerging’ Ireland LiteAce Tour '22 v Griquas Sep30 12:45, v Pumas Oct5 4pm, v Cheetahs Oct9 12pm KO

Options

Comments

Good half from the young Irish side in difficult circumstances, playing a good chunk with 13 men and holding the line intact during that period.

Tom Ahern, Max Deegan, John Hodnett, Nathan Doak and Jack Crowley have all been impressive for me. Ahern has demolished the Cheetahs lineout.

Super try from Daly, real piece of fantastic broken field running.

This is a good contest.

Another absolute cracker of a try from Ireland; Balacoune shows some beautiful running and a lovely offload; Doak holds the last defender and times the pass perfectly, Osborne shows good pace to finish under the sticks.

A win here would be a superb result considering how much pressure we've come under at scrum time in particular.

Yet another ridiculous soft yellow card from the South African referee. Hodnett this time.

Ref is really blatantly bad here. Irish team can't buy a penalty. If not for the TJ or TMO calling in acts of blatant foul play, we'd have gotten nothing in this half whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭sioda

If you give a penalty try do you not have to card someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭OldRio

That was some win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭TRC10

The most enjoyable aspect of this game, was the saffa commentators completely losing their minds for the entire 80 minutes over Emerging Ireland doing to the Cheetahs, nothing South African sides haven't been doing to everyone else for years. Their team couldn't score against 13 men with an utterly dominant scrum, and somehow that was Ireland's fault. It was brilliant and I personally loved it.

But that's a super win for the young lads. And a game they'll learn a lot from. Showed unbelievable fight and physicality, defended brilliantly and scored some glorious tries from the rare chances we got.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭sioda

Tom Aherne should be forever called Tomhun 🤣🤣

Great win lineout was excellent and considering the scrum was a disaster did well to keep the cheetahs out.

Daly try was a thing is beauty though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭TRC10

The commentator giving out about Baloucoune receiving treatment when he had blood pouring from his face was extremely unprofessional and actually disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ersatz

Great performance by the team given how much pressure the scrum was under. A lot of guys will come way from this tour ready to take a big step up. And kudos to the coaches, they got it bang on today and had the team prepped perfectly to execute the right game plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I only got to follow most of it in audio but I though the match was good today. Sounded like they were under serous pressure at times and defended very well.

Has anyone who thought it was a waste of time changed their minds?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,249 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

that tour was worth it alone for jack Crowleys progression.

at a minimum hes now munsters number 2 out half

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ersatz

Right, and a masterclass in playing behind a beaten pack. The half backs/BR handled themselves exceptionally well, good decisions, get the ball out and force the opposition to make defensive decisions quickly. It was a very brainy performance from a lot of young lads who were under the kosh for large parts of the game. And Crowley was at the heart of it all, not flashy or extravagant but very solid and assured. I'm not sure any of the tens at the provinces would have played better than him today.

And I'd add the Munster should be a big winner from this tour. Ahern, Frisch, Barron and Daly really stood out, plus a couple of others, all were fantastic. I'm sure the cost benefit here will stand to munster and the players certainly gained more than they would have done from sitting on the bench or watching from the stands in Munsters last few outings.

Post edited by ersatz on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Crowley and Doak really impressed me. Ahern and mccarthy too although mccarthy is raw.

i would not be surprised if all 4 play for ireland together reasonably soon.

Ahern is something ireland doesn’t really have elsewhere. I could easily see him make the world cup squad.

And I'd add the Munster should be a big winner from this tour.

I’m not sure I agree tbh, considering how things have gone for Munster in those players’ absence.

the players certainly gained more than they would have done from sitting on the bench or watching from the stands in Munsters last few outings.

I also don’t think this is accurate. I reckon at least half of them would have started, while they all would have gotten gametime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Could Ahern and Beirne work for Munster or would it be a bit light weight? If I was in charge of Munster now I’d be looking to build a 15 around the likes of Ahern, Edogbo, Kendellen, Casey, Crowley and Campbell.

This season is a write off for them now. Make these young lads the core of the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I reckon Munster will be pleased with their players. Crowley played well and Ahern too! From a Leinster perspective, Clarkson and Milne struggled a bit! But, Osborne was really up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,303 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ahern and Kleyn with Beirne playing 6 Hodnet 7 and Kendellen at 8.

That's something to get excited about

Bring in Snyman in December and include Okeke (when he's back) and Edegbo and we have a lot of the power we've been missing

Josh Wycherley and Salanoa have also shown they can do a job in the front row.

The season isn't complete over for Munster yet.

I think GR is losing patience with some of those players who let him down the last 4 weeks and injuries aside, I think a lot of the EI team will be straight in to play the bulls on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Think they are only arriving back tomorrow so I would be a bit surprised if many lined out for any of the provinces this weekend.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why would you leave out Coombes if it's power you're missing?

When considering this tour, the only real question that matters is are the players involved likelier or less likely to be considered for the Ireland squad / Ireland squad for the November internationals, and you'd have to say for the players who shone down there they are absolutely likelier.

It can be debated as much as you want, but Jack Crowley might have gotten a solitary start and a sub appearance for Munster over the past couple of weeks, whereas now he's returning, full of confidence and primed to likely start for Ireland A in November. Same with Thomas Ahern.

Nathan Doak might have got the last half hour off the bench at Ravenhill last Friday night while Ulster nearly put 50 on the Ospreys; but I think he was better served going toe to toe with Ruan Pienaar, having to step up and be a leader behind a pack heavily under the cosh in SA.

I really think this tour has led to some meaningful matches and good player development.

Found the bitterness of this article absolutely delightful. Talk about a lack of self awareness.

That's the only question that matters as it relates to Ireland. You're dismissing the impact on the Provinces here.

Has it been advantageous for Ireland? Yes. Has it been disadvantageous to the provinces. Also yes, and to varying degrees. That's the point most critics have been making all along.

Your point on Doak vs Ospreys is pretty selective. Equally, would he have been better served featuring vs Leinster instead of in a team that put 50 on the Griquas the week before?

Yeah, but as we've debated ad nauseum here, the benefit to Ireland and to overall development of our player pool outweighs whatever impact its had on the provinces.

The critics of the tour have consistently overlooked the fact that the first line internationals were freed up to return weeks ahead of schedule, which more than offset the impact of losing a group of second string players at best (with the solitary exception of Robert Baloucoune).

Doak wouldn't have started v Leinster, so I'd still argue he's better off playing in front of the Irish coaches in a leadership role and forming what look like good relationships with players like Crowley than playing the last 20 mins against Leinster.

The critics of the tour have consistently overlooked the fact that the first line internationals were freed up to return weeks ahead of schedule

I don’t think they have overlooked this tbh; and the point there is that different Provinces have different numbers of front line Internationals so all would have been affected…. Well, differently.

Because of the EI tour and injuries, Munster have had to start 2 academy wingers in the last 2 games. We’ve had 5 academy debuts. We’ve been down 20 players.

Look, I think we largely agree albeit coming from different sides of the debate. But I think it’s dismissive to the Provinces to say the only question that matters relates to the players in an Ireland context.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,666 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

We as supporters will never know the value of this tour but if it increased our chances of making a RWC semi-final even by the tiniest amount, then for me it's worth it.

Even if all the coaches learned was that player A isn't any use and we don't need to bother wasting a spot in the November squad on him, then that's value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,303 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Coombes coming in at 50 mins to replace Kendellen. POM to replace Byrne at 6 with Byrne moving to 5 to replace Kleyn

We need power over the full 80

Advertisement