Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to keep broadband costs down?

• 31-05-2021 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

My Eir broadband fibre 12 months contract expires in a few months.

I pay €39 per month but when the12 months expires it will shoot up.

Should I just keep switching providers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

My Eir broadband fibre 12 months contract expires in a few months.

I pay €39 per month but when the12 months expires it will shoot up.

Switch providers or ring Eir saying you don't want to renew due to the high price and that Company X is offering the same for lower price, and if they offer you a discount to stay for another 12months.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Caquas

I envy you. I’m paying €59 p.m to Virgin and they will slap on another €4 from August because....they can.

No other provider offers real broadband in our area of Dublin i.e. every other provider offers less than 100 mb which means it will regularly go down below the acceptable speed e.g. for 4K. Netflix or business quality VCs.

I feel trapped by Virgin and it’s amazing how the Government think broadband is only a problem in rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Argue! Aim to keep the 39 euro and if they dont want to give it, serve notice to leave.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Check every year. Don't be afraid to change. I'm paying 35 per month for Siro, used to pay about 60 to VM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Pure Telecom re-sell most types of ADSL, Siro and FTTH broadband at a decent price. A good option for 12 months depending on your available services.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭dubguy45

Eir fitted their high speed fibre hardware on the poles in my estate and I was glad to finally have some competition with Virgin. The Eir flyer finally arrived in the post and was disappointed they wanted a 24 month contract. Without some kind of trial I could never agree to that. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Eir Fibre To The Cabinet is 50-100 megs in a lot of places which is loads for most things. (or you can get the same thing from Vodafone or Sky)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Pure Telecom will be able to supply it on a 12 month contract. Ring them up and ask for Fibre to the Home.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭dubguy45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

I use a 4g router myself, €20 a month pay as you go three sim card and I get over 100 meg, Router costs about €120 and you can bring it on holidays or anywhere around the house. No contract either.

Moving to a 5g router soon so I think it'll be €25 a month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Have a read of the contract, I think some might come with a 14 day cooling off period. If so that would give you a two week trial.

My options for fibre is either Sky or Vodafone for 35 a month or a host of smaller companies for 45-55. Does anyone know with Sky and Vodafone broadband when your contract is up is it possible to talk them into renewing at 35 again for another year or do they force you to switch? Id prefer not to be jumping between the two of them every 12 months as there will likely be downtime so if one of them just give you the discounted price for the second year with no messing I would go with them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

I'm with vodafone for the last few year , every 12 months i haggle with them. they usually match best offer out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭FluffPiece

My 12 months came to an end which was €40 per month, to then shoot up to €70. Surprisingly Vodafone wouldn't budge except to offer a €5 discount per month, bring my bill to €65 each month. I told him Pure were doing €40 and they still refused.

Ended up switching and will again next year if Pure don't match other offers at the time. It's the only real way to keep the prices down. Check if they will match and follow through with a switch if the offer is not good enough.

Seems it might be pot luck with Vodafone then if one poster got the same deal and another just offered 5 euro off. Perhaps what they can offer fluctuates throughout the year or even at certain times of the month if they are chasing sales targets

Nonetheless will likely go with Vodafone if keeping your discounted rate is possible. How do others find it when renewing with Sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭jos22

Friend had to speak to 3 different people at Vodafone before they matched the 35 for new customers.

he was offered the 5 Euro and said he could just switch to Eir or sky and get it for 35 so asked why would he accept the 5 Euro,

we switched from Eir to Vodafone to get the bill from 70 to what was supposed to be 35 for 12 months but after 6 months they texted to say their increasing it by 5 euro a month to 40 from Nov.

I might be wrong but AFAIK with broadband and mobile companies if they raise the price during your 12 month contract you are allowed to break the contract without any financial penalty. Not sure if it is worth your while switching again for 5 euro x 6 months= 30 euro price increase but you could try ringing up and pointing this out to them and see if you can talk them out of the price increase under the vague threat that you are thinking of switching over this price increase that you didnt sign up for. It might only take a few minutes of your time depending on the agent.

yes they give you date that you have to opt by before they take it that you have agreed to the new terms.

the dump part of it, they still promote it was being 35 for new customers for 12 months, so they should be no increase while you are still under that contract

the information stated that all bills for home phone and broadband packages will be increasing by 5 euro from Nov1.

the dump part of it, they still promote it was being 35 for new customers for 12 months, so they should be no increase while you are still under that contract

That would peeve me right off becasue if they're still giving new customers the 35 a month deal then what it feels like is a bait and switch job, ie sign you up to 35 knowing full well they will jack the prices further down the line. I know its only a fiver a month but I still see it as shady practice. If they have 200,000 customers they do that to its a million more a month for them or 6 million over the six months. So you can see the grift thats going on here, dip a small amount off each customer and hope less than 2 or 3% of them cancels their contract over it.

In theory you could try to outmaneuver them, cancel it and get your partner to re-sign up at the 35 rate. Its a bit of work I know though so it all depends on your time and tolerance to go through with it. I know a few people who do this with Sky Sports year to year becasue they are forever trying to charge them full whack in the second year and they dont feel full whack is worth it, its either the new customer rate or nothing at all for them.

just messaged them via Facebook , questioning why as new customer still under 12 month contract being charged more when their website still promoting the 35euro at 12 months. last time I question a bill that way I got a refund.

be nice if you didnt have to do the wholes switching every year. I dont see how it benefits Eir/ vodafone etc having x amount people switch from one to the other every year

• Advertisement

please update the thread on how you get on just out of interest. Though if you do have the time/inclination try ringing an agent as they do sometimes have the ability to knock off these stealth charges without it going further up the chain. Ive found Twitter/Facebook reps to be nothing more than PR merchants in the past, they normally dont have any power to change anything and will just feed you some PR speak giving the company mantra whereas agents on the phone sometimes do have that power.

On switching the big telcos know from their customer retention data that only a small percent of their customer base will ever switch. In the energy markets they say that less than 15% of customers every switch year to year so they are over the moon with having 85% of their customer base paying higher rates. Id imagine it is similar with broadband plus people have a fear of days or even weeks of downtime, it is not as easy a switch as it is for electricity or gas. The telcos know this so thats why they force us in to this silly dance every 12 months, you have to prove your disloyalty to them to actually get a decent price. Its all very silly but they dont care when they are milking the vast majority of their customer base.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

If somebody switches from vodafone to another provider will they require new hardware to be installed and charge for it?

vodafone 150 Fibre @ €55 / month

I got this when I woke up this morning

This increase applied for all Vodafone accounts, this annual price adjustment reflects changes in the CPI rate and network investments. This will ensure we can continue to invest in our network to enable us to provide the best products and services to our customers.

However I will add 5EU discount for 12 month to cover this increase:) As good will gesture from Vodafone and your monthly charges will retain the same with No increase:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,495 ✭✭✭Raichu

No, you’ll need a new modem that’s it. If SIRO is already there it’s a simple switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

The SIM cards in those 4/5G routers are the same as a phone SIM card AFAIK.

You can get some cheap SIM only deals for 5G which should work in the routers, cheaper than what Vodafone etc would have you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,495 ✭✭✭Raichu

I think they won’t work. I remember I got a sim for my phone once, at least, but it was a “broadband” sim and registered no signal whatsoever.

Not sure if it’s the same in reverse, though. This was with Eir so maybe that makes a difference.

lol so you got the corporate PR speak but also managed to get the increase knocked off=) Fair play, great result. Like I said it might only be 30 euro but its better in your pocket than theirs. Others on Vodafone should do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

From my experience with Vodafone SIRO at the end of my 12 month contract, when you ring up first you're speaking with Customer Care and they can only do minimal offer (For my 1Gbps they offered €5 off the regular price), but when I mentioned that I could get a better deal with another provider in the area (named the provider and price) and asked to speak with the loyalty department they transferred me to that team. Lo and behold, they could match the offer of the other provider.

This has worked for the last two years running.

As background, I had switched to Vodafone because the same method used to work with Eir until one year they wouldn't budge, so I just moved to the provider with the better offer. Shopping around is the other effective route, if there's no joy from the Loyalty Dept in your current provider.

@Fingleberries good to hear you got the discount with Vodafone 2 years in a row as thats what Id be worried about in that they may not give it and then you're left with the grief of having to send back their equipment and get new gear from another company with the potential for no internet for a few days. I would do it if I had to because being loyal costs you money in this market but it is still hassle you could do without.

How much per month is your 1GB connection with Vodafone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I'm paying €45 per month for it - I could perhaps have haggled for a couple of more quid off it, but as you said - the hassle of unplugging and shipping back equipment and setting up new router, etc :-)

Advertisement