Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earthing a Bathroom light switch

Options
  • 08-10-2022 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

All I am looking to earth a bathroom light switch. Currently there is only a live & neutral in the box. The back box is metal & the existing light switch cover is plastic.

I am looking to replace the light switch cover with a metal cover, also looking to install traditional style metal light shades IP44 rated, Class 1 over 2 new sinks so will need to run a new twin core & earth from the light switch. Most of the Class 2 double insulated lights are a bit more expensive.

Two Options, for the electrical upgrade, but need your thoughts.

1) Can I run a new earth wire from my earthed shower switch to the back box of the light switch. The earth from the shower switch already goes back to the consumer unit.

2) Or alternatively, but with alot more work, run a new twin core & earth from the light switch back to the consumer unit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm pretty sure that only a REC can install a light fitting in the bathroom. Pretty sure it also needs to be certed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

Sleeper 12 is correct.

this is restricted work

also if a rec installs new cables then these must be rcd protected

a Certificate should also be issued (as sleeper12 said)

Advertisement