Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solar in a blackout

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mswomex

@jkforde come 5pm & a blackout there will be hardly no charge in the battery as solis is set up to draw from panels, battery & grid in that order.

@Jonathan I cant see that setting on screens available to me.

Two blackouts in two weeks. Today's lasted two hours. I plugged a lamp into the backup outlet. Not a flicker! When power was restored there was 43% charge on the battery. Really frustrating I could not use it during outage. 😡😕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

It would be interesting to see how well this would work but I'd imagine not very well. When the sun shines the solar inverter will keep increasing its output voltage till it reaches whatever cut off point and then it will stop inverting for a while. Or else you'll have something heavy running and the sun will duck behind a cloud leaving the small battery inverter to carry all the load which it won't.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Is the backup outlet turned on? (Enabled in the inverter)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭con747

I have had 6 power cuts since install in February and have the batteries, 2 PureDrive set to keep 23% in reserve and it's invaluable for me where I live. No mobile signal and a dodgy copper wire fed landline that goes in a small breeze, but they won't upgrade it because of the fibre rollout in 2026 for me 🙄. I have used a kettle and toaster no problem with my small essential base load I situated all together in advance of install.

I just plug the extension lead in and 12ft away from my eps socket I have 2 plugs to switch over with router, cctv, and a few other low loads all work perfectly. I would have been lost without it. I will be upping the reserve to about 30% for the bad months because luckily I have built up a good amount of backward spinning meter units on my old meter so I need to catch back up a bit.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

@graememk It looks like that configuration is not available to me. Is that possible that some configuration options are only available to installers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,320 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

This video shows how to enable it. Password for advanced settings is 0010

Go to advanced settings -> Storage Energy Set -> Parameters then set backup supply to enabled.

Thanks @Ha Long Bay its now enabled under 'Control Parameters'. I bumped up Discharge SOC to 40% so that there will always be sufficient charge for backup. I'll test tomorrow.

Appreciate all the inputs @All. 👍

• Advertisement

Tested today and it worked. I was surprised that I did not need to cut mains power for it to kick in!

Just remember in a power cut you will need to lower the Discharge SOC so you can use it below your present setting of 40% afaik. Mine is in a hall beside my kitchen so is easily changed if I need that extra power in a power cut.

Cheers @con747. Inverter stays on during an outage right? I thought I read in a previous post that the inverter shuts off but thats not correct.

Once you have a battery it will stay on. You won't know yourself having eggs on toast in a power cut!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

if you had an egg (elder melons will get it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭JayBee66

My KStar inverter (and probably others too) has two outputs "grid" and "back-up". Under normal operation the grid (hybrid inverter plus grid import when needed) circuit feeds the house. When the inverter detects grid loss it switches (<20mS) to the back-up circuit. Due to whatever the regulations are there is a transfer switch that is either set to grid or back-up so when there is a power cut the house will go dark. As soon as you are aware of the power cut, you switch over to the back-up circuit and the whole house is once again under power.

Due to old firmware, which made the inverter import from the grid rather than use the battery overnight, I spent a good few months, last year, in back-up mode with no ill effects to the system. Now that the firmware has been upgraded the inverter is now back on the grid circuit 24/7 but it's good to have the option to power the whole house, rather than just a socket or two, if there is a power cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Is anybody using micro-inverters with the blackout/isolation features to allow the inverters (such as Enphase IQ8) to create a grid in the absence of an incoming supply? How is that achieved at the CU, is there an isolation switch still required? Has it worked out ok in those situations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

'tis grand, nevermind what was posted…

Post edited by Hurrache on

Advertisement