Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"i'm a guy - i don't buy cards or presents".. really?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Irish_wolf

Jesus if my mates started sending me cards and presents for my birthday I'd assumed they'd either lost the plot or were under pressure from the missus for some unknown reason. I personally hate getting a load of shite I don't need nor want landed on my for my birthday just because. So sending me a gift or card is actually demonstrating that you don't know me at all. A few WhatsApp messages or well wishes from my family are plenty. My friendships are not measured by how much useless shite we can buy each other.

That being said I have no issue buying gifts and cards for my female friends because guess what, they appreciate that kind of thing. Lads in general either couldn't give a **** or as demonstrated by many lads in this thread do not appreciate the gifts, and nor could I, so why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I'd take part in group presents for the big birthdays. 21st, 30th or whatever. Would never buy friends a card or a present otherwise. Would normally meet at an event or a gig or something and buy them a few drinks at it. Most of my friends have good jobs and can buy what they want and i wouldnt have a clue on what to buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

On the contrary, the amount of thought that goes into being the kind of man who doesn't participate in celebratory charades is quite staggering. One has to look deep within himself and ask tough questions - once we have done this and decided to abstain for the good of us all, we are then at peace with oneself and those around us. Those who just go into a shop and purchase dispensable items are the thoughtless ones.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Only buy presents for family, other than throwing in for "big" birthdays, weddings etc

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

😂😂😂I guess there's many 'thoughtful' guys out there so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

You shouldn’t go as far as to say that it ‘can’t go wrong’. Someone might feel pressured by it. In any case we’ve a long way to go. Most Irish people don’t even know the definition of binge drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭irelandrover

If you are buying someone something for their birthday then most likely you know whether they drink alcohol or not. And if i'm in a bar and buying someone a drink then i ask them what they want.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would say the contrary that most people do know what binge drinking is. I rarely drink but when I do end up out for a few pints I am fully aware the 5 pints I might have is considered binge drinking by the professionals. I don't give a shyte though

Why?

One of the things I've been most disappointed at since returning to Ireland is the slow death of the drinking culture. Oh, the heavy drinking on Friday/Saturday nights still happens, but most of the more positive aspects of the Irish drink culture, such as the friendliness, the music scenes, etc have been allowed to die as a result of this desire to dismantle the drink culture. So.. most of the negatives remain, but the positives have declined considerably.. and honestly, I suspect it's one of the reasons that Ireland, and Irish people, are far less friendly/tolerant of others than they used to be.

I've travelled extensively and every nation has a rather strong drink culture. Oh, and I rarely have more than 2-3 drinks when out.. never liked the loss of control or the hassles associated with being drunk. A drink culture doesn't need to revolve around getting wasted and being a dick/****.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Male friends? No.. going out for a meal or beers would be normal. Definitely not a card, wtf? More so how it would make the friend feel awkward than anything else.

Colleague in work? Probably get in on a group-present or something, although this would usually be initiated by the females in the office.

Brother/Father? Yes, card and present

• Advertisement

Most Irish people don’t even know the definition of binge drinking.

Sure, they do. They know, intimately, what drinking till you drop entails. They know the peer/group pressure involved from drinking in groups, with the rounds system, and the expectation to "man up". Or lady up, depending on the people involved. Most people have had a series of experiences getting blackouts from drinking, and they learn from it (hopefully).

College/University in Ireland revolves around binge drinking (think Freshers/Rag week), as does the early-mid 20s once you start earning some cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I would not be buying presents for my male friends. Like I would get them a few pints or something but no bow wrapped gift. Thats for the wife, kids and siblings.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A 'drink' includes a non alcoholic option if they would rather, but you'd prefer to wag your finger and go off on one about a drink culture, as mentioned above, is on the wane anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Buying a good gift is difficult. It takes a lot of thought, for me anyway. But it's worth the effort , because it can really show you know a person. If you don't care all that much about the person though, yeh no point getting some **** forgettable item that won't be remembered

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I do the card thing at Christmas and for birthdays of close family (and my OH, obviously) - but like my older sister, I am just very considerate and thoughtful when it comes to occasions and gifts. I probably overdo it a bit but I like to send cards to others and I know that they are appreciated. But I'm also a gay man so I'm more than aware that most blokes don't do cards and that's grand. Each to their own.

Don't send birthday cards to my male mates nor do I give them presents and vice-versa unless it's a big landmark birthday. We'll all be turning the big 50 in the middle of this decade so I imagine a card and thoughtful gift will be appreciated.

As a recovering alcoholic, I never give gifts of booze these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm a chick and I genuinely don't get the fuss around birthdays. I couldn't give a sh*t about my own and generally have to be reminded about other people's. I hate the obligation that's placed on people to participate in the whole thing and have been telling my friends and family for years that I don't want or need anything for mine.

However, I do get that it is important for some people and will gladly give a card or gift to close friends or family who do like to celebrate.

I stopped sending Christmas cards years ago, though, and will never understand the whole Valentine's Day thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

damn straight Dial Hard, I mean what exactly are we celebrating at birthdays, that we are now one year closer to dying?

People should respect the wishes of those who choose not to celebrate

• Registered Users Posts: 16,522 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It's a gift FFS, it's the thought that counts!

If you get a nice bottle of top shelf booze you'll have no problem finding a willing recipient, it won't compel you to down it in one sitting and spiral into alcoholism.

Most people I know have nice bottles of wine on standby at Christmas in case they need an emergency present, no need for the nonsense you're spouting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I dont do cards in general however this year a few friends had big birthdays so they got a card :P

It's three pints (not five) according to the HSE website... proving my point. Maybe people know what binge drinking is, in that it means drinking a lot all at once, but they don't know what defines 'a lot'.

https://drinkaware.ie/what-are-the-low-risk-weekly-alcohol-guidelines/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1vSZBhDuARIsAKZlijRHHXGlpS_zBV4uwf7gbE5L7xT8F-MrOtfLR7scXcIZ2S6aru2Ar40aAlcoEALw_wcB

• Advertisement

He said he was fully aware it was binge drinking!

You're like Helen Lovejoy.

@[Deleted User] I've travelled extensively and every nation has a rather strong drink culture. 

Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

I'm just entertaining your points without accepting them!

No they don't. Drinking till you drop is not the definition of binge drinking. You can still have binge drank without having dropped.

It's almost as if you're implying that everyone needs to experience a blackout in order to fully appreciate life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭sporina

"But I think it's sexist crap to say only women buy presents I suppose 10 years ago he was saying no one wants to watch women play football on TV it's ridiculous

Now millions watch women play soccer on TV

Society changes women can do almost any job if they want to

How convenient i.m a mean Scrooge oh I'll just say men do,nt buy presents

Women seem to do most of the housework childcare"

...........................................................................................................................................................................................

there could be something in the above..

Post edited by sporina on

It's a gift FFS, it's the thought that counts!

Maybe for some people, but have you ever been with the last crowd of a party where they go over the gifts received comparing what people gave, and the relative monies spent? Or how inappropriate or cool a particular gift is?

Some people are grateful for just receiving a gift. As you say, it's the thought that counts.. however, there's a lot of rather materialistic people out there, or simply those who like to pass remarks/judgments on what's received.

Where's the contradiction?

And your last comment makes no sense in the context of your response. I'm guessing it's a poor attempt at humour, or sarcasm?

No, a blackout typically follows the binge drinking. And I didn't say that drinking till you drop is the definition of binge drinking although it's what tends to be the case in Irish drink culture.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I didn't say binge drinking was 5 pints. I used 5 pints as an example of how many I might have the once in a blue moon that I find myself in a pub and an acceptance that it is considered binge drinking and stating that I don't care.

Sorry to ruin your gotcha moment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Nieces and nephews aside, I only buy presents when I find something meaningful and I know that the recipient will appreciate it. I'm the same for receiving presents.

I cannot stress enough how much I loathe receiving presents that are clueless and done just for the sake of it. I have a bunch of DVDs my stepdad bought me for my 18th which I never watched because they are all atrocious, stuff like American Pie.

As for cards, weddings aside, I'll say something to them in person or by text if I can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Here, I bought you something that you don't want so that you can feel obliged to buy me something I don't want.

• Advertisement

I know that happens but it can be difficult to know what to get some people, a bottle of booze is a catch-all present. My point was in response to the pioneer nonsense.

Advertisement