Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amsterdam Marathon 16th Oct 2022

Options
  • 24-02-2022 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

Still on a runners high from Seville, I've signed up for Amsterdam in 236 days. Never done it but on my stryd race calculations, it ranks number 2 for fast and flat, only seconds behind Rotterdam.

I don't know how they can be any quicker than Seville, thought that was super flat.

Weather, I'd imagine should be good for racing at that time of year.

I've heard its a bit of a boring route but that doesn't bother me in the least as I can't pay attention to my surroundings when racing, missed my wife and children at the Eiffel tower in Paris '09.

Anyone else considering it or already in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Am booked in

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Yeah, booked in. Flying out on the Saturday and back Monday. It'll be my first marathon since Dublin 2016 and I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in to the training. I chose it for the flat course and the fact that it dovetails pretty well with Dublin meaning that I can hopefully do some training with clubmates who are targeting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Not doing it this year, but have done it twice already (2016, 2017 https://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/1822706732). Rotterdam also (2019 https://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/2456614798). I must say I prefer Amsterdam over Rotterdam for route and organisation and race day vibe (both are awesome by the way, just Amsterdam I think pips Rotterdam)

The route (in my opinion) is lovely! Not boring at all! You run through Amsterdam, through Vondelpark (twice - my favourite parts of the route, right near the start and finish), the Rijksmuseum, along the canals, out and back along the Amstel River around halfway point (my second favourite part). And you start and finish at the stadium, which is great! I found the best way to get to the start was to hire a bicycle (my hotel had a bunch, super handy, and I was only a few km away so had a scenic pedal through Amsterdamse Bos) and the slow (and flat!) cycle to the start was a nice warm up. Same again cycling back after, good way to keep the muscles warm and helps a lot with post-race pains. There was loads of place to lock up my bike near the start.

All in all, definitely a fantastic event, well worth the trip over, you won't be disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭chabsey

Same here, flying out Sat and back Monday. Also running DCM should that should be interesting. Got accommodation about 3km away from the stadium but looked into hiring a bike so it should be all grand on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Howok

I will definitely take part

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if you can get through flight security with gels? Just realised I didn't book a checkin bag but was going to bring my own gels. Not a huge deal if I can't - I'll pick some up at the expo I imagine.

Just checked and yeah should be grand as long as they're under 100ml and in a clear bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

Yep, I've had no issues with Spain and Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Did this in 2019 and my main piece of advice is to get into the stadium with plenty of time. I left it until about 15 minutes before (as need 237 pees before starting any race) and there was a huge jam to get in. I went to the very right-hand side and got in with seconds to spare, but hundreds behind me missed the start.

There are plenty of toilets inside the stadium on the pitch so its not an issue.

First 1 to 2 km are very congested and I was walking on a couple of occassions.

fantastic race

Getting close now....who else is heading over to this?

I'm getting very giddy, can't wait.

Thinking somewhere between 3:15 & 3:10, considering aiming for a negative split.

@Sandwell in as well but will probably be showered and enjoying a nice hot chocolate by the time I finish 😅

• Advertisement

Sounds like you're aiming for a similar time as myself. How's the training been going?

Volume has been good but only of late are sessions starting to click.

Low iron being the culprit. All about freshening up now with only two medium sessions left.

Saw your comment regarding your training being a bit of a mess?

Yeah, I did half my training on a treadmill, all the signs pointed to a sub 3 being within the realms of possibility, and if not then certainly very close. Then I switched back to road running and found my calf muscles locking up and was unable to touch the times I was getting on the treadmill. So, took a couple of weeks of adjusting, few trips to the physio and an eventual realisation that the sub 3 was a dream. Currently targeting 3:10 but even then I'm not sure. If the weather gods shine on us then I would be hopeful of a 3:10. I still feel that maybe the first half of my training, where I was pushing much harder for a quicker time will stand by me on the day.

Snuck a look at the weather, I know it's pretty much useless info this far out but anyway.....currently looking ideal for a temp point of view with ~50% chance of showers. Could be worse.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Was the treadmill configured correctly? Could it have been reporting much faster speeds than you were actually running?

You know, I'd say you must be correct normally but in this case I decided to not even look at or trust the treadmill readout and bought a Zwift pod instead. Every now and then I'd check the treadmill's read out to compare to what Zwift was telling me and invariably it was 1 - 1.5 kmph faster than the Zwift pod, so that gave me even more encouragement - Maybe I was hitting paces at even faster speeds than I needed!

People online tell you to put the treadmill at 1% incline to best mimic road running but again I didn't trust it. I got out a spirit level and confirmed it was flat then set it to a constant 2% incline for all runs. Hit all paces for the plan without issue (not saying it was easy, some days after long runs I was absolutely wrecked) so I was confident.

The one main thing I've found since getting back to road running is the wind, it's obviously one of the big differences between outdoor vs treadmill running but wow!, it utterly and completely wrecked my pace and energy levels. It was so disheartening to be hitting paces spot-on and then going outdoors and missing them by 30 seconds +. I run mainly on the coast cause it's so flat but it's also pretty much always windy. So who knows, perhaps I've been beating myself up based on running into hard winds all the time but in any case, I've adjusted half my plan accordingly so 3:10 it is.

Really looking forward to this now but inevitably I've caught a (non-Covid) dose and now I'm stressing that it's going to turn into a chest infection etc. and ruin my plans. I'm sure I'll be fine. 🙄

Long term weather forecasts are looking promising enough alright, maybe a touch humid and there's always a chance of some wind.

I'm heading over on the Saturday morning and will prob head straight to the expo from the airport to collect my number. No sign of any info from the organisers yet?

I'm heading over on Saturday morning as well, was planning on either heading to the expo directly or to the apartment and then back to the expo to get a better idea of the lay of the land for race day.

Anyone know if there's an equivalent of Dublin Bikes in Amsterdam? Googling leads me to loads of bike rental places but I just want a hop on hop off type solution to get around the city easier.

No idea but would be curious too. I'm apparently a 2.5k walk away, not too far but more about getting back to the hotel after.

• Advertisement

Have done a bit more reading because I'm 3km away...I'm now thinking the Amsterdam Travel Ticket might be just the thing.

https://www.discoverholland.com/traveler-information/23/amsterdam-travel-ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I was there last year for the half. The trains and trams are brilliant and really easy. I can’t remember what we did about tickets but so easy hopping on and off and going to the stadium was no problem.

Email came today with bib number and participant magazine, getting super excited.

Yeah, got mine as well. Getting real now. Installed the app as well, it's actually a pretty good source of info.

Very slick app indeed.

It's looking like a wet and miserable marathon weekend judging by the long-term forecasts at the moment. Plenty of time for that to change though.

God I hope not. I will only believe the day before's forecast. Somewhat wet is ok I suppose, as long as we've no wind it might be tolerable.

Anyone know if you need a medical / doctor's cert for this marathon? I didn't think you did but am watching a YouTube video series of a guy who is entering this years Amsterdam marathon and mentioned the requirement for a medical cert. I know when I entered Florence I needed one but I'm guessing we don't for this marathon?

Didn't hear that, I know it's the norm in France and Italy. Can't see anything on the website, I hope not.

Heard nothing about it. If it is a condition, it's very badly communicated. Going to assume it'll be grand and go back to worrying about the weather.

• Advertisement

I keep checking the weather - seems that rain on the day is inevitable - but - it appears to be in the afternoon on most forecasts. It's too early to tell in any case. Friday / Saturday is the day we'll really know.

Advertisement