Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Well an electric boiler could be DIY'd to an extent. Essentially its a thing that holds water and has a form of immersion in it.

So a Buffer tank?, you can get one with dual immersions, or a 6kw immersion could be fitted, or a willis, external immersion, Get a big enough one and you then have heat storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Ok I can understand that point, but surely if it is a choice between the standard 24hr tariff and the smart tariff, the smart tariff wins, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm talking about a plug and play replacement for my Kerosene boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Nope. The majority of Smart Tarrifs have higher day and peak rates while the evening rate is more or less the same as a 24hr tarrif.

They might try to blind you with 3 hours ev charging or a 'free day' but it's all smoke and mirrors.

Hopefully the CRU has woken up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

yes, me too. pls let us know if you find anything viable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The smart meter ads that I've started seeing on TV are misleading, it's bad form suggesting people will save money by getting one. You know exactly how many units you're using when the bill comes in with a 24hr or day/night meter. If your bills are high you'll go around checking everything to make sure it's off, the information is there if you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 irewestlad

Spoke to energia this morning and EV night rate is over 13, and not fixed so likely to increase further.

Mods - perhaps a sticky at the top of this thread with the latest suggestion for best rates? Lots of off topic conversations making it difficult to find the right info

• Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

35.8/10.3 on their site (went up ~10% yesterday).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Is that possible, outside of an officially declared price rise? (Which was flagged for October 7th)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 irewestlad

I asked them about the difference on their site, and they said the 13c price was coming.

On a different note, I rang Bord Gais also this morning, on hold for 30 mins, eventually got through to a contact centre rep. And she couldn't tell me what the EV night rate was. She was so uncertain to the pricing model - I got the impression they were getting new pricing literally as we spoke.

I'm still confused as to what the best EV price is on a Day/Night meter right now is

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

for me even at current rate the energia EV plan is still easily the best out there for those with an EV. But as the rates are no longer fixed the certainty is no longer there.

To be honest with a rate of 27.43/7.9 (gas also 7 cent) and 3 * €200 credits coming over the winter i'm far better off than i was last year and can pretty much charge the car for free! So i'm not complaining anymore.

My prediction for Energia now is that they have lowered their discounts so much they are going to actually increase their standard unit charge upwards and start a whole new discount structure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Same here, I owe a few pints to whoever first posted about that Energia plan being fixed rate. My bill should actually drop by a few quid compared to last year.

I don't do big mileage so just the first 200 quid electricity grant will cover me for this year's driving (prob 7-8k kms). I don't use gas so the three new grants will be quite helpful towards cancelling out the oil tank fill that I'm going to have get to heat the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

I am also pretty sure the bord Gais plan is the best EV one out there, but you have to have a smart meter to avail of it. I'm getting close to 40% electricity use in the three hour cheap period and I think the day rate on this plan coupled with the EV rate works out best. I'm doing roughly 1000km per month, and given that my mileage will be worse on winter, probably 18kWh per 100km or more, the plan is even better value basically when it's cold. Still works out better even with the insane price increase coming next month

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

The great smart meter lie and propaganda campaign continues:

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0928/1326021-cru-tariffs-update/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

My god, the Bord gais website is a nightmare. How do you even find the DN plans

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭electricus

Has anyone had problems getting their meeting updated on the ESB Networks system - after a the physical meter swap from smart to day/ night?

I had mine changed a week ago but when Energia check my MPRN its still showing up as a smart meter and so I'm left in limbo and can't switch (anywhere!). I contacted ESBN who tell me that its in progress and give it another couple of days, etc.

Changing from smart back to day night has taken almost a month, hopefully its finally sorted out before the increases next week. Knowing my luck, Energia will have stopped giving the fixed rate by then...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

I've just had a smart meter installed, seems from your post, I have to request a day/night meter, is this another new meter, how long does it take to install one?

I am so baffled from all the plans. Only found this discussion on boards today, annoyed I've missed that good energia plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

From SEAI on Linked In this morning: my emphasis in last line

930,000 smart meters have been installed in Irish homes but only 4% of these are actually using Smart Tariffs or Time of Use Tariffs, the other homes remain on their existing tariffs. They are not switching because there is poor value for money offered by these fancy new tariffs.

We did a quick check of online electricity prices for the big 4 suppliers in last August and looked at their price offerings on the 3 different meter types (see graph). Note these are for new customers looking to switch so they include discounts of up to 30% and cash bonuses which do not apply to longer term customers.

From the graph it can be seen that the Day & Night price plan consistently offered the best value for money for all 4 suppliers. This is why no one is switching….

The reason why Day & Night appears cheapest is: 

1)     Because the night rate price is about 35% lower than the equivalent night rate price period on the Smart Tariff despite the higher annual standing charge associated with a Day & Night meter. 

2)     These prices are generated according to guidance from CRU. At the moment a Day & Night price assumes 50% of annual consumption occurs at night and a Smart Tariff assumes 39% at night.

Why can’t we have the Day&Night night rate price transferred to the Smart Tariff and benefit from the lower standing charges too?

Note Oct prices will increase these values by 35-50%!! However, the same pattern still remains with Day&Night tariff remaining the cheapest for all 4 suppliers.  

Smart Meters are essential for Irish consumers to benefit from cheaper prices in the long run and to reduce our consumption at peak time….but we need better value before consumers will switch.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭podge3

Moved to the Energia EV tariff a few weeks back. Got my last bill from Electric Ireland today and got hit with the €50 early exit penalty. Not really surprised but some people on here weren't charged for whatever reason.

Kudos to the Boardsie who posted info on this tariff. I was a bit late to the party and barely got in before the tariff was ceased so got the 29.82/8.59 rate.

I did a few quick calculations and reckon I will save about €1000 over the fixed term of 12 months. It could be more if the EI rates increase again. Further calculations indicate my electricity bill will actually be less than last year when the government grant of €600 is taken into account.

Kudos also to Energia, who honoured the rate quoted to me when I first contacted them. It took about a week to get the meter changed over and the discount had reduced by the time I actually signed up, but Energia applied the 25% to my account.

Hopefully the fixed term really is fixed.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭electricus

Yeah, I missed it thanks to it taking a month for a meter change due to my old supplier's misguided instistance that I was requesting the impossible. But fair play to Energia for giving me the old 16% discount from when I originally called about switching. Their EV night rate is still the best available hopefully it stays that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Are you sure? It was never obvious on the website that it was a fixed price and you'd get various conflicting responses from their call centre staff so its hard to tell if it has been changed or not... at least until someone gets a bill.

One way to tell, that I found was to click "Switch Now" on that plan and enter your MPRN and if it shows "Fixed" in the top right corner it means it is still fixed. All the others show variable when you do that. I mentioned it here:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119535118/#Comment_119535118

I cant check it with my MPRN anymore as it tells me Im already signed up and not to be a twit! So, if someone else could try it out, that has a day/night meter, and let us know what it shows there.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

Nope - now says Variable Contract in the top right hand corner

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭handpref

EV fixed plan - I’m taking it as fixed and have it in writing, but small print may say otherwise for those who signed up early …

One to watch for those on the EV rate- my latest bill is showing the incorrect price for night rate at 10.5c instead of 7.9.

When I queried it they said the unit figure on the bill is pre 40% discount which is confusing.

They did apologize for the incorrect night rate tariff and are aware of this issue- “we are working to resolve it as quickly as possible “-

So it must be the case for others- keep an eye on the unit rate and discount - wait till they try add the fit into the mix …

Ah feck sake, I didn't know meter times were wrong. I've been charging at midnight and paying an hour at day rates each charge. Fortunately only two charges in the car so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭eagerv

What time does your meter say it is at the moment (9pm local time now)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭eagerv

That's correct then (Apart from the few mins) meter never changes is in GMT, so night rate atm 12 till 9am. After time change will be 11pm till 8am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭glen123

If my time on the meter shows as 20.45 at 21.15, does it mean my Night rate starts at 23.30 and ends at 08.30 and 22.30 - 7.30 during the winter?

Advertisement