Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Born Stuck in UK no photo ID

Options
  • 23-09-2022 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I never had a reason to go back to Ireland until now. I have been in Manchester since 1997 came over as a minor I have my Republic of Ireland Birth Cert. Worked in UK with over 20 years of national insurance contribution history. My trouble is I never had a passport or drivers license in UK and have no photo ID. I have nobody professional I know to sign a passport application form so I am stuck here. Yes you can get on ferry etc no passport but they still ask for it anyway. Does anyone know of a way to get help regarding passport application witness in the UK not in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Can you not get a doctor to sign it? Otherwise, I think you can pay a commissioner of oaths to sign it. You don't have to know them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Allinall

Stranraar- Larne and onwards to wherever on the mainland.

No passport required.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

There is a long list of people who can witness it for you. you are bound to know one of them

• Police officer

• School principal/vice principal / Teacher, School Secretary, Pre-school manager, Montessori teacher

• Member of clergy

• Medical doctor

• Lawyer

• Bank manager/assistant bank manager or Credit Union Manager or Assistant Manager

• Elected public representative

• Notary public/ commissioner for oaths

• Peace commissioner

• Accountant

• Dentist

• Vet

• Nurse

• Physiotherapist

• Speech Therapist

• Lecturer

• Pharmacist

• Chartered Engineer

• Registered Users Posts: 3 finny120

On the ferries a Citizencard is accepted as ID, so are student IDs, railcards/other transport cards, or a work badge with a photo. Basically anything you would have trouble printing yourself that shows your name and face. Bring that plus your birth cert and you'll be grand. Last time I was on the ferry nobody even asked to see my ID.

Don't try this on Ryanair though, they only accept passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

+1

and if you look that a nurse, teacher, engineer or accountant can sign it (outside of Ireland) thats a massive pool of people.

The thing to remember with getting a passport signed is that the passport office always ring the person and confirm that they did sign the form and are happy with your identity, and confirm you signed it in front of them in their presence.

So, if applying abroad make sure you have someone signing the form who actually answers their phone during office hours.

I still cant believe though that someone has no photo ID of any sort, and that they couldnt magic up something or other. Sure even a travel pass with a photo is good enough.

The pedantics will point out that a random travel pass doesnt prove you are an irish or british citizen and able to travel passport free, but if someone is called say Donal Murphy and has a strange Irish/ English mutant accent, and has a white/ red / freckly complexion that irish people tend to have, then they are probably going to presume you're Irish or British and not an illegal immigrant from Albania or Somalia that requires further attention.

• Advertisement
Advertisement