Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

So an interesting update on the battery pack shipped with the current M3 RWD:

Pack Size: 60.5kw

Nominal Full: 57.5kw

Buffer: 6kw

Usable: 51.5kw ~ 52kw

This now makes sense given my previous battery/consumption tests.

Buffer is massive and has definitely increased since Bjorn tested it a few months back when the buffer was 2.5kw.

If anyone on a full charge and use down to almost zero can post any screen grabs of their trips screen of anything past 52kw i would be interested.

So all in all i'd rather if the buffer was lower but the battery size is still the same and you'll be able to drive well past 0%.

I hope the above is useful.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

From a few years in Motor insurance.... if it wasn't like that when you got it on day one it's a modification, can't give these guys a get out clause with these values of our Teslas

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

any good insurance quotes folks are getting these days, most my web enquiries fail on the last hurdle, prob down to it being a Tesla.

Also, my car was reg as a LR on all the Ins systems😐️

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

They've left it wide open for a range increase via a software update/upgrade in the future once they have all the data they need on the batteries performance

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It might actually be worthwhile posting that info on his YT video. There might be a difference in buffers between countries ?

• Advertisement

Yeah.

In fairness tesla were very forthcoming with the information. Excellent in fact. I believe that tesla may have changed the cell make up of the lfp recently and are still gathering real world data so have increased the buffer to be extra cautious.

Look, it's all good as at least I know the facts now. I was worried that something was draining the battery but now I know that's not the issue.

Basically 100% to 1% = 52kWh

It's good to know.

Be interesting to know what the SR+ delivered to Ireland earlier this year was.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭drver1

Anyone else notice that autopilot is very jerky in stop start traffic? it tries to zoom ahead in <10 mph traffic, only to then abruptly stop as it gets closer to the vehicle ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Yes, I notice this daily. Happens when car in front moves a few feet

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Thanks for the update, it’ll be great if they decrease the buffer in a future update as they have done before in the past. Did Tesla confirm you can tap into the range after 0% and use that massive buffer?

Yeah i'm not sure if the buffer will/can be adjusted over time but lets hope so. Looking online deliveries last March had a much smaller buffer so i'm guessing that they have changed the battery chemistry of late.

Yes they confirmed that past 0% you still have another 6kw approx of range - so depending on how you are driving that should be between 40 and 50km. But you know yourself, no one likes going past zero!

You'll notice that even at 1% battery there is no real loss in power which is extraordinary for an EV - it all points to there big a big buffer and at least it was nice to have it confirmed by Tesla. TBH the lads in Dublin don't really know until the cars start landing exactly what is being delivered in terms of battery - they can only really do diagnostics as and when the cars start arriving as every shipment varies due to the constantly evolving battery tech.

Even RSymons reviewed the MIC M3 a few months back and found a usable battery of 57kWh back then - just goes to show you how things can change in a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Jhaj

Can anyone recommend good rim guards/protectors? Experienced some curb rash this week..

just to add as a rough guess to where they claimed 440km range comes from:

Based off a battery capacity of 52kWh you would need to be doing 8.46km per kWh to achieve 440km

Or in other words 118 wh/km

Anyone able to achieve them kind of numbers you deserve a medal - for me that acceleration is too hard to resist :)

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭JOL1

Glad you finally got the clarity that you needed, now you can start to fully enjoy your car!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

I have used 53kwh according to the trip screen from 100% to 4% in my RWD that I picked up 3 weeks ago so it does go beyond 52kwh and still have battery remaining for me.

No where else that I have ever seen has indicated that there is only 52kwh usable in the RWD so until this is tested properly I would not be taking it as true

6kW is insane, they were giving out left right and centre when the Model S 85 buffer increased to 3kW and the impacted range "loss"

I am referring to what I have been told about my battery directly by tesla. Maybe all are not the same snd there may be outliers depending on build date. Others they have look at in this September batch also have 52kWh.

So I will certainly be taking it as true for my battery!

As I said interesting to see if people report otherwise like yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Question around charging statistics on the app.

At the moment, my charging stars show my charging for the last 31 days. When I go beyond 31 days, will it continue to total the kWhrs put into the car over its entire life or is just the last 31 days?

Thanks,

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭innrain

Yep - i am only quoting exactly what i was told from Tesla, so people please don't shoot the messenger :)

Considering that on an LFP battery there is already a 2.5kWh "locked" buffer built in that can never be touched (to safeguard against the LFP actually reaching a true zero and being completely f***ed) - to have another 6kWh on top of that seems mental.

My guess is that the battery chemistry changed and they are still real world testing these battery's and should reduce the buffer over time and/or/if when the battery calibrates further.

and remember not all tesla's are built the same - depending on build date etc. you may well get a M3 RWD with more usable capacity than mine or others in this batch so all feedback and updates etc. are welcome. Remember its not a p***ing contest (my battery is bigger than yours) just an informative discussion.

• Advertisement

It does sound like Tesla are repeating what they did with the S which was sell it with Battery Capacity A and then restrict the usable portion over time.

Tesla fined in Norway over battery issues - BBC News

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

What are the 1st 3 digits of the last 6 numbers of your VIN if that makes sense e.g. 403xxx mine are 403 just wondering on the batch yours was built in

Yeah its mad because this car was sold to me with a WLTP of 491 which i do not believe was based off a usable battery of 52kWH.

The M3 55kWh sold in 2021 had a WLTP of 448 with a usable batter of approx 49.5kWH

So the math on that don't add up - i would imagine the 491km WLTP is based off a usable battery of 55kWh+ yet this is not what was delivered to me.

But i cannot prove that so just gonna have to move on!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This is not confirmed information. I got 55kWh out of my pack - sept 9th collected - from 100% to ~5% so it's not accurate for all cars.

It IS confirmed by Tesla for MY car - if you take the time to read up you will see that I have already explained that and i have also said it will be interesting to see if there are differences between cars in the same September batch.

Actually what is not confirmed is your statement above but i will take your word for it. It would interesting if you could ask Tesla for the stats on your car to see what they confirm is usable for your particular battery.

That would actually be helpful to the community as we could then query the reasons for the usable differences between cars.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

LFP was delivered earlier this year too.

The SR+ stopped in early 2021 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Any recommendations for a product to clean the interior of the M3 either a jack of all trades or something for the seats and something for the interior trim etc, TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Where is it confirmed? All I see is your post #7532 above which doesnt have any verified information. I know the displayed energy in my car was 55kWh used, I have a 220km trip on saturday so I will zero the trip and take screenshot after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

What’s the km range showing in your car at 100%?

i know this is just the calculated km range number but if it has the same battery as me then it should be 439km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Mine has WLTP 491km also (plus a couple km extra for Aeros 🙂). Mine's a late 2021/early 2022 SR+ LFP, so it was up from the earlier models that had ~448km WLTP (with other battery tech, NCA, I think)

I've occasionally charged with 55 kWh or more (reported in-App and Car, car was parked with no sentry / aircon, radio, etc. So I believe that's the amount received and does not include losses that would be included in values on the charge point).

Advertisement