Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Carlow town bus service

• 15-12-2021 2:31am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As part of the NTA's programme of introducing more town bus services, two cross-town routes (CW1 and CW2) will begin operation in Q3 2022. Each route will have a 30 min frequency.

The PVR is six buses. Does the NTA have six Streetlites lying around?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Well with the planned conversion of 17a to N4/N6 early 2022, wonder will some of go-aheads streetlites be switched for double deckers ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

17A is all double deck though.

Some GAI routes could just be switched to double deck to free up Streetlites for Carlow. Presuming there will be spare double decks with all the PAs coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

I was thinking that too. Looking at their fleetlist they have 40 streetlites. I'd imagine a small of batch of them could be transferred?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I am not at all familiar with Carlow. However, is it not a bit disconnected that a town bus does not visit the railway station?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭bikeman1

The CW1 should turn right when heading south just at the fire station, up past the railway station, then left onto the Dublin Road and into the town, passing the bus park and continue on the proposed route.

The timetable should be such that the route is at the railway station in time to make the services in the morning and back in the evening. With tweaks that the bus is not just sailing past the station as a train is rolling in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the bus meeting the train? shur nobody wants that begorra begosh and be jaysus.

yeah if they have omitted the train station from the service then that is a ridiculous omission which makes no sense and i cannot understand why and how that has happened/been missed.

hopefully it will be reviewed.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

It's a 350m walk from the bus stop to the Railway Station versus adding 1.7km to the bus route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The bus is supposed to serve the travelling public and the railway station is one source of such, they should not have to walk 400m with bags etc because if the inability to design a proper route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I wonder if NTA will do anything about the towns with existing bus services. Dundalk's town service is a circular route which is completely useless in one direction for people living near the beginning to near the end of the route because, if you live near the part of the route that's closest to the town centre, it'll be a very short journey into town, whereas to get home from town requires a tour of the whole town first.

It's no longer than a walk from certain stops in Galway City to the train station. That varies depending on the routes, some slightly more, some less.

In other words, if I am getting a train, that walk will not dissuade me from using the bus. The thing most likely to discourage bus use in this case, would be a poor timetable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Getting the correct route is tricky in these circumstances as inevitably someone will lose out unless you make the route so convoluted to serve everyone that it becomes less appealing to use.

By taking the route suggested above to serve the station, it would also be missing out a reasonably large housing estate along Green Lane, but it would also serve the hospital, which seems an odd location to miss out on (more so than the railway station if I’m honest).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Do the letters CW for these bus routes would stand for Carlow West or maybe something else? I'm not familiar with Carlow either. The 30 minute frequency on these routes are not too bad.

I don't like the idea that the train station should be completely omitted from these new bus routes in Carlow Town. Is it coming from a viewpoint that the quality of transport infrastructure in Carlow is not up to scratch for it's population?

It does serve an important purpose to have a local bus route serving the train station from a customers point of view. You would see local bus routes that serve the town's train station in places like Sligo, Dundalk, Drogheda, Athlone & Balbriggan.

It does seem odd to not have a local bus route not directly serving a local train station in an area like Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

It cannot serve the station because St John's Road does not allow a right turn and if you route into the station you cannot exit on that road. Route would have to go via Railway Road and turn back on itself to serve the core town center and require extra buses to make a schedule work. There is also a lot of congestion at peak times around the station.

The majority of foot traffic exit via St John's Rd so will be well served.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

With all due respect on this; if you mean turn right coming IN Green Lane, it's a hoor of a turn with a b***h of a traffic island there aswell; indeed I don't think vehicular traffic can turn right here; it's only left turn when coming down Green Lane from Barrack St./Tullow St. etc.

If it follows route you're suggesting, then if it manages this turn & with train station on the right, it has to go up by CBS & then either left & past Leos/Courthouse & right out Athy Rd. & Greenbanks / Gda. Stn. & then left again past Leos & back down past train station....am I understanding you right?

Alternatives incl. going back out Athy Rd. & up Cannery Rd.......and back in Green Lane.......

Not sure what the answer re lack of train station stop is to be honest; in theory we can say Green Lane/Carlow F&RS is "close enough" but in reality public transport needs to be connected.

But serving railway station would also allow for, depending on subsequent route going left in by Leos or right out by Carlow LTC & SVDP Hostel + St. Marys Graveyard, access to hospital grounds; caveat here is main entrance to St. Dympnas is on other side, Athy Rd. albeit, able bodied person can walk through campus no problem.

Omitting hospital & train station seem odd for sure but there may be no logistical way round it unless certain road layouts like I've mentioned're changed and given consultation period ended late Oct. 2020 & these plans were actually shown to Cllrs. in 2018, then we may be too late & have to wait for other bus routes to come on stream....if these're successful.

Thanks; I've attempted address that; coming back down St. Josephs Rd. would mean a left turn back onto Green Lane which does defeat purpose; you can't turn right & you end up going up the road & turn right in a filter lane onto McGamhna Rd. & then back across by Hoseys Roundabout, Accommodation Rd. & onto Green Lane to get to Barrack St. instead of going straight on if you were to omit a railway station stop as per above map.

Cllrs. had these plans shown to them in 2018; they could've made reps. to Dir. of Transport regarding traffic layout @ St. Josephs Rd./Green Lane esp. traffic island there if this was to work; this then went to public consultation & all Cllrs. would've been obliged to advertise it even if it's not in their MD/LEA (you could argue merit of a Muine Bheag/Borris/St. Mullins Co. Cllr. wanting to post this on their social media) & it would've been flagged in & on local media last Autumn too & our chocolate-teapot TD would've been all over this like a rash (it was our far better Green Party TD who secured & announced funding for it in Budget 2022 so please remember that when the routes do commence Autumn 2022) on their social media too.

Your point re foot traffic from railway station and indeed local schools too makes sense; majority will go towards Green Lane I feel but y'see, we need to connect up our public transport services (look at Rosslare Line; station & port're not near enough each other, railway line to Waterford got shut cos the trains didn't serve enough people not to mention it was quicker to drive & the ferries coming or going often didn't arrive or depart in time for incoming/outgoing passengers to get the train there or to Wexford & onwards) so it'd be ideal if a solution could be found even at this remove.

Public Consultation Period closed end of Oct. 2020; but private representations to Dir. of Transport like I've made on a few issues since this came to my attention elsewhere (more sense on Boards thankfully!!!) on & off line, might be worth doing for those like me who'll be using it?

Just might be a road layout/logistical issue with right turn from Green Lane.

Dir. of Transport would be worth touching base with on this by email since public consultation period closed Oct. 2020; Chocolate Teapot TD clearly wasn't vocal enough & perhaps despite local media flagging it at the time & Co. Cllrs. & it was on LAs website, social media feeds, maybe there's precedent, a demand to reopen the PCP?

CW-KK GP TD Malcolm Noonan has a Carlow Town Bus Service update; hot off the press as it were https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=362458545883423&set=a.348716230590988

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭RossGeller

Didn't Carlow town have a bus service like 10 years ago? It was called "Town link" or something like that.

If that was scrapped , what makes them think this will be a success?

It depends what was there before versus what they plan to implement now.

Take Athlone for example, in 2019 they set up 2 local bus routes, with a 30 min frequency going from 7am to 8pm covering the majority of Athlone (there are still gaps).

It's been a great success.

Anything less than that would likely have been a failure.

They did; it did; I wasn't around but you'll still see the blue bus stop poles (JJ Kavanagh blue?) in certain parts of the town; on Kilkenny Rd. there is, or used to be, one; think on Staplestown/Tullow & Pollerton Rd. too.

• Advertisement

Carlow Town Bus Services x 2 Routes & Stops Draft Plan https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=5466589370093555&set=a.612712168814657

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is there any sign of a service yet, or is it still just a plan?

If you click on the link in the post you quoted, the answer is there!

Would I be right in saying the Athlone buses currently in use (and due to be replaced by EV buses) are the ones most likely to be used for this.

They are all 2019 buses so still lots of miles still to go on them

They're probably the most likely ones alright.

I think there's 12 in Athlone, so if Carlow are getting 6, there's another town getting the rest so. Great to see them doing it like this

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I had clicked the link before asking, funily enough.

But all I got was a screenshot of the proposal from February 2021. With some underlaid text about when it is scheduled to start.

Scheduled is bah-humbug talk until there's a definite start date, timetable and fares.

It's in the photo! :-)

Q1 2023 (which would fit with the theory discussed above which is that the Athlone buses move to Carlow).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Wonder will these routes be operated by BE or will they be tendered out like City Direct in Kilkenny. Another possibility could be to transfer some Streetlites from GAI for this and then possibly replace those with double deckers although that's probably less likely.

Advertisement