Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Generator change over switch

• 05-04-2022 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Could anyone give me a very very rough idea of how much it might cost to fit the appropriate manual change over / isolator switch to a house to be able to connect a back up generator . I know the network needs to be totally isolated .

Also what sort of power is required to keep a pretty standard oil condensing boiler and the pumps circulating so the heating still works in a power cut.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,790 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

not too sure on the generator needed, but building a house at the moment and asked for one to be included, it cost around €300. Not sure of the costs and work involved for an existing house. Obliviously a lot easier at first fit stage

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭quartz1

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Max H

had this done in February by a local sparks. The total cost was 460 euro inclusive of VAT and all parts. We had a changeover switch that has a Green light on, so when ESB power comes back on then the green light comes on the changeover switch. Also be aware of where you put generator in relation to where you plug into the house, as the 32 amp cable is expensive, our generator was housed about 10 meters from the outside socket, so that 10 meters of 32 amp cable upped the cost a bit. In regards to the size of generator, if you only want to run a few lights tv and fridge and oil fired boiler, then a 5-6kva generator will be enough. We bought a Loncin LC8000D-AS 7.5KVA generator, which was 1300 euro delivered. We have found this runs everything in our house pretty much all at the same time, though if you have an electric shower, ( which we dont ) it wont run that as they generally are 9.5KVA. But so far we can have lights, condenser boiler, tv, fridge freezer and an electric oven running off the genny. Also as the generator we bought is petrol, make sure you put a fuel stabiliser in it, such as briggs and stratton fuel fit. This stops the petrol going off for up to 3 years. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭quartz1

Max H, Thank you so much and that is very very helpful indeed. Yeah I just want the oil heating , fridge and a few lights to be able to run but I wasn't sure if it was a mad idea

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Max H

In which case you could get away with a 3.5KVA genny, however be aware it would be running at full for a long time, so i would stick around 6.5kva, cheapest place seems to be Robert Kee a Loncin LC6500D is 1095 euro, thats where we got ours from. Although Loncin are Chinese, they make engines for BMW motorcycles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Grandad1959

Sorry for jumping in on this thread but are we allowed put the change over switch in the meter box. I too just bought a 6KVA generator and was looking for an electrician to fit one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭whizbang

I can run an oil burner, fridge, freezer on a 750VA UPS. Startup indicates 80% load on UPS

Its a Riello G3B burner, standard (slightly older) Circ pump.

So in that case, a 1K genny will do you..:)

Advertisement