Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2020..... 1.5m Dairy calves.... discuss.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Lads around the ring calling everything a jersey x is annoying when they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

BB store out of a 50% Je cow, he is just under 18 months old, I bought him as a calf with two better lads out of HO cows. (They are bigger framed cattle) €170 for the 3. I am happy enough with him, he is about 430 Kgs, probably worth a bit shy of a €1K at the minute but will be a nice little beef bullock to kill next June. 1 thing I would say is he wouldn't suit bull beef as he is a bould fecker as he is. But if calves like that were coming out of the jex / frx cows then they could be viable.. plus the BB have a short gestation so would suit the dairy farmers too. His out of BB6199.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

IMO there is a huge difference in performance between rearing calves on whole milk and cmr and that is what is standing to your calves along with the fact that as a dairy farmer you're grass management/silage is ahead of the majority of livestock farmers. Having said that unfortunately the country is polluted with poor performing calves out of JE/Kiwi cows irrespective of the beef sire breed. Over the past eight years I've seen more and more of the best BR/Friesian/HO dairy farmers (that we buy bull calves from) using more JE/Kiwi bulls within their herds. They tell us it's because they get paid more for the milk cause the pr and bf is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭straight

Leeches. Alot of those people are buying them for farmers and adding on a nice commission for themselves. Catching farmers at both ends.

Hard to disagree with you. I did the AI course 20 years ago and one thing I didn't forget was the instructor saying we heading down the NZ route. Farmers going out in the morning and taking the hammer to the bull calves born that night and farmers burnt out at 50. We all laughed.

• Advertisement

They control the ring when they can basically gang up on the individual buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,247 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It all depends. If you let them control you they will. If you decide on your margin and do not go beyond it then no they cannot. Buying online has them beat for the last two years. They have kinda bounced back over the last 2-3 months but you can still manage it of you like

Slava Ukrainii

You right about the online part but if your an individual farmer going in to buy a few the boys can take it in turns to go against you. It cheaper to pay one of them to buy for you than buy yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’m with Bass on this one. I’d never pass any remarks on what anyone else is doing around the ring. I pick out any animals that suit me and I bid for them. I don’t care or even want to know who’s bidding against me. If I don’t buy then so be it, I’ll at least have made the other person pay for them!

No its not cheaper to let someone else but them. Online beats it every time. Mind you I buy Friesian with whatever else I come across. But even before online I always knew the game. No point in going one day and thinking you could buy what you liked

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Had a look at marteye yesterday as I have cows to sell and Cashel mart was on.i have to admit the quality of the cattle I saw selling was poor.now I was only on 10 minutes and the lots I saw selling was only from 2 or 3 sellers.they looked narrow and very poor weights for age.maybe I just happened to strike a bad run but to be fair there was no profit in the animal s I saw selling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Sums up the issues perfectly, abp reckoning it's the beef sires that might be the issue re 100kg deadweight difference between best and worst are as deluded as a certain young Rockstar dairy farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Cheaper having them doing the research than us lowly farmers.

Farmers usually hang themselves the first day by giving too much money for the calf, I've been saying that for years

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

The “industry” are all saying the same thing: only the bull matters.

In other words, the EBI-chasing cow is untouchable so poor beef genetics are here to stay.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

The escalating costs in rearing these calves now mean the calf to beef man simply won't stay at it, where he can't source calves like in the project above that are hitting the 300kgs plus deadweight before their 2nd birthday...

Teagasc are going to seriously discredit themselves if they keep peddling the myth that high dbi bulls will give saleable calves regardless of the dam, they need to cop the f**k on and spell out that low maintenance 500kgs mature weight cows on a good day are going to leave you with a pretty lousy beef cross animal that's not suitable for the beef farmer to make a few quid on,its a serious disservice to their calf to beef clients if noting else

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭amacca

Unlikely they will do that though....unless they are put to the pin of their collars, too much inertia.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

To do that would mean admitting they got it wrong on the EBI system they have been championing with the last 10 years.

It's none of my business what type of cow anyone milks. The issue is Teagasc continuing to say everyone can have their cake and eat it. If you believe their story, the dairy farmer and the calf-to-beef farmer can be joint winners.

Nobody is asking them to admit they are wrong. I have worked in the public sector previously. No one ever admits they're wrong. But Teagasc could look at how the EBI figures are calculated, in particular the 'maintenance' figure that jay mentioned above. Small changes over the space of a few years and then some other type of new normal might emerge.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Looking at the 100kg carcase weight difference it's the equivalent of having 33% less output with the same cost. Compared to the aim of having a 280-300kg carcase at 24 months it's taking 3 calves to get the same weight of beef vs 2 calves. That's why farmers are shying away from these calves. So over an average of 6 lactations these poor calves have produced 2 full 300kg carcases less of beef, with the full whack of costs. You can't make a silks purse out of a sows ear

Dairy farmers have to admit they have corporate social responsibility in there breeding policy. Change is happening dairy farmers, icbf and teagasc need to get on this train quick or see the yard full of calves for all of the rearing period with no outlet or buyers. Calf to beef farmers want calves but are more picky, and every right to be. The data backs this up

Fixing issues in breeding, is not quick fix, it's going to be at least 4 years before corrections can be seen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭minerleague

Matt Dempsey ( former editor of journal ) was writing a while ago about the difference between best and worst performing dairy beef animals ( 300 - 400 euro profit difference) He wants marts to display figures of beef genetic potential with calves. The problem with that is the price of "good" calves will go up and "bad " down, leaving you no better off. I still think if every dairy farmer produces good beef animals beef price in factory has to drop ( supply and demand ) hitting the suckler farmer

• Advertisement

Good point in fairness....no point in producing a glut of it.

If the rumour is correct and that there will be a suckler cow reduction payment you will see numbers reduce. The lad breeding the middle of the road or poorer calf will be tempted by any sort of decent destocking payment. Many of these lads have been buying a few calves and bringing them to stores over the last few years.

The figures are not as bad as you would think. The average animal killed269kgs was probably a tad with an O+ and probably came into 1310-1335 euro before stoppages at a base of 4.7/kg

If they had taken out the lighter heifers before feeding and had left them until next spring you probably would have heifers hanging 290kg and coming into 1420-1450 euro.

Where I have issues with it is is it feasible to house heifers in August/September and use straw as a lie back. With hot weather would a paddock be as feasible. Will the average farmer have silage to consider this option. We're the cattle fed much ration during there first summer and winter.

If you add a 100 euro sub 24 month slaughter premia the figures are impressive.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭minerleague

If they get more suckler farmers into organics ( good few older farmers like myself at a few open days recently ) then they will reduce numbers but stay suckling. Can't use milk replacer in organics so less buyers for calves also

Sucklers numbers are naturally declining. Similar to @Siamsa Sessions I was listening to that beef edge podcast the other day, while moving stock ( have to cut the lawn in a few mins). The chap was rearing 120 calves was saying the he knows what time it will take with calf rearing from when he rocks into the yard til he leaves. Sucklers you don't have that comfort. More part time work, eroding margins on low output and the age profile is the key reasons for the sucklers decline. Here my herd is reducing. Won't go completely, due to pride in breeding and rearing good stock. Nothing beats the feeling you get seeing a calf get to his legs and take his first suck. You nearly pause for a few mins, and as buff Egan would say "soak it in man"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Dairy farmers will do what they always did if they can get rid of the calves,

Even giving away calves for nothing isn't going to destroy the profitability of a cow yielding maybe €4000 worth of milk in the year.

Why would they worry about the quality of the calf above the ease of calving. they know the damage they're doing and still persist.

Blaming teagasc etc is just a smokescreen, greed is the real problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭straight

Looks like suddenly Goodman is absolved of all blame from the beef lads and now it's the big greedy dairy farmer. Sure god love us. I wonder who's next to get the blame.

Larry is looking at it from his side as well, lighter carcases means more to kill to get the tonnage. As said earlier in the thread 280-340kg is the sweet spot for carcase weight. More cattle means running the line for longer with more staffing, energy, haulage and admin costs. Larry's demo farm has a motive of putting pressure on teagasc and icbf, and he's dead right

First step to finding a solution is admitting there is problem. Beef farmers have, Larry has, some dairy farmers have. All we have left is the crossbred contingent and teagasc/icbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Smaller carcass also means more 5th quarter for Larry and there is a train of thought that this is very profitable for meat factories..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Advertisement

He’s a waffler, says a lot about teagasc as a organization when he's able to get the top job, nice man but not the sharpest and absolving themselves of all responsibility is a pure cop-out

Advertisement