Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viz rip offs 80's-90's.

Options
  • 15-03-2017 8:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

Anyone remember the glut of Viz imitators that emerged at the height of it's popularity circa early 90's? Most of the ones I recall were rubbish, they usually had short Viz inspired titles like Zit! Spit, Poot etc.There was an Irish one as well, Fitz which was especially bad. Most of them didn't last long.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

In the case of Zit! the plagarism even extended to the design and lay out of the cover. Spot the difference.

latest?cb=20120113140303

s-l225.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

I remember a short lived one in Tuam called "Listen Sham, I don't give a dam". They upset a local parish when they referred to them as sheep shaggers. They tried to explain it by saying the "shag" was a type of dance years ago and that is what they meant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

ff3278240c.jpg

21/25

Issue one of Fitz from 1995. Not sure how long it lasted but I remember seeing it around circa 1997/98. Was not impressed with it, a very poor Viz imitator.

250?cb=20111126145633

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Scotland had a great one called Electric Soup, a cross between the Freak Brothers, The Broons, Oor Wullie and Viz circa 1991.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Soup

628587.jpg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I bought Viz regularly back in the day but never even looked at the rest of them as l always felt it would be disloyal to viz.

Biffa Bacon and Roger Melly were my hero's.

I liked Oink! even though it meant to be a Viz for kids. It was a lot funnier than most of the adult oriented Viz copyists.

2975931-comic.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

darkdubh wrote: »
    I liked Oink! even though it meant to be a Viz for kids. It was a lot funnier than most of the adult oriented Viz copyists.

2975931-comic.jpg

That's interesting, Oink was the only one I briefly looked at... all the rest looked cheap and bad copies... plus I was 9 or 10 when Oink came out... maybe it was more aimed at kids

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I think I have some copies of Oink somewhere in the attic, I remember issue 1 came with a thin plastic record with a novelty song on it

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Davy Thorpe and Chris Donald of Viz contributed to Oink. It did have a very Viz like feel to it I thought. Never knew Charley Brooker was involved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oink!_(comics)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I remember one called Gas or something-Gas. I used to have a few mags, but sadly all dumped now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Anyone know when Viz first went on sale in Ireland?

Mike Murphy wasn't a fan of Viz, or "adult" comics in general it seems. From 1989.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I still buy Viz when I'm traveling through airports in the UK!

Blog that focuses on British "rude" comics of the 90s. The amount of Viz plagiarists was unreal, load id never previously heard of. So many of them were utter sh!t. Check out the Scottish one "Jock Strap".

Post edited by Hangdogroad on

Advertisement