Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth our while?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

It might seem like that to you, but that is because you yourself, and your fellow entusiasts are knowledgeable. Analysing performance, planning upgrades, tracking output on smartphone apps. Ye are therefore biased.

But the average, non-enthusiast won't have a fraction of that knowledge or even the interest it these matters. For the average person walking the street, it is likely that the they probably don't even understand the fundamental principles of electricity, and neither do they have the inclination to educate themselves about it or the finer points of solar PV systems. They are not going to have the time, interest nor perhaps even the capability of looking at and interpreting information on a smartphone app.

My sister and her husband have a solar thermal system on their house, installed when the house was built. It has ceased to work for some years and they were absolutely oblivious to that fact. I offered to arrange for it to be repaired and they just shrugged their shoulders at the notion. They now just press a button for heat and hot water, having had their complicated heating controls replaced with a basic as could be flash programmer and boost button.

And they are not idiots either, both are smart people, work professional jobs. They are average people. But like most, renewable energy is just not something they are particularly interested in. I doubt they know the difference between AC and DC and I'would put money on them understanding the fundamental concept of an electrical circuit.

If I tried to explain to them how to track the performance of their solar system remotely via an app, they would glaze over - it would be like speaking Hindi to them.

For the average person, it just isn't important enough to them for them to bother their time learning about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭paulbok

Yeah, panels should come with a standardised output rating, like w/M2, so a 2m x 1m 400w panel would be rated as 200w/M2

• Registered Users Posts: 64,860 ✭✭✭✭unkel

@Girl Geraldine - "For the average person, it just isn't important enough to them for them to bother their time learning about it."

In your example you are talking about people with inherited systems though that didn't cost them anything in terms of time or money, not people who actively go out and have a system costing thousands installed.

But yeah I broadly agree with your point about people who have no interest in any of these systems. That's where a global existential problem like climate change comes in though, helped with a bit of an energy crisis. People like your sister and her husband, now still seemingly ignorant of what's happening in the world, will get a rude awakening when a kWh hits €1 and then they will get the finger out. I see it all around me already and PV installers are all out the door and materials are near impossible to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

A year ago I was one of those people who it wasnt worth my time. How I wish it had been, as I see now how much of a benefit PV can be to my pocket! You can install a small grid tied system yourself for 1500-2000 euro and see pay back in a few months. Or go much further and install a massive system and know that the PBT is closer to 10 years right now, but with energy prices going one way it will likely be closer anyway. If I had jumped a year ago, I'd be a year into my PBT!

If you use 12,000kWh per year like I do, the change from an average rate of 13c per kWh to €1 per kWh is a huge jump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I dont think this forum is an "echo chamber". There are plenty of discussions around DIY versus COTS batteries for example - plus the ongoing debates on FIT veruss battery etc.

I dont really get why a "single person living alone" is even in this forum giving advice on NOT installing solar etc. If we took a poll of people who have success with saving money on electricity bills - your cohort would not be represented... you need to have a fairly healthy demand for exlectricity - and big bills to even look at solar.

Watch the video in the FAQ - the very first part of it is "do not install solar untill you try these things, reduce, change habits, switch provider annually etc etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭DC999

I said recently this forum is an "echo chamber" based on the fact that we're all pro renewables. And I'm proud it's a positive "echo chamber" for that purpose. It that doesn't float peoples boat, leave the forum and don't post just to stir stuff up. And I'd agree @yankinlk that there are heaps of positive & respectful & challenging debates on heaps of threads.

Tbh, I think there are a very few people that look to cause reactions, sometimes just for the sake of it. I just change the setting to 'ignore' and then don't see what they post forever more. Click on the person's name, click the head icon, then 'ignore'. Done. Life's too short!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

A few months may be a bit optimistic. My system cost a bit under 2k and if prices don't skyrocket too much more it will still take 3-4 years to pay for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Obviously it depends on your current use and future pricing. For me I could have spent 2k on 2 1000w grid tie inverters and a couple of panels to cover my base load. That prorata saving is exponentially more than you get at higher cost systems. My own (currently 25k all in) system is looking at 10 years+ PBT, and I'm not even half done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Comfort zone is very important.

I initially looked at solar over a decade ago, about 15 years back now I come to think if it. I had a survey but the costs were mad high and no grants, and the generation payback simple did not stack up so I forgot about it.

Then in 2019/2020 I could see panels here and there. I read the Quotes thread from the current and previous years three times over so knew the difference between a good and bad quote, but no overall technical knowledge, just install costs.

For my first install I choose the installer route, all I did was hand over money, no involvement whatsoever apart from tea and biscuits. 2 days from memory.

I quickly got rid on my hybrid and battery and put more panels up and increased inverter size.

Then I watched the sun for a year, where it hit my garden and at what times and for how long. This fed DIY install #2 from technical knowledge gained here in the forum and selected PMs along with YouTube. This took me 6months from designing garden mounts (roof already full from install #1), sourcing metal, labour, welding on site, making changes along the way, getting the panels, mounting the panels, cabling, mounting inverter and finally having everything ready for electrician to hook up to isolator/grid tie in etc. This is now all but complete.

In parallel I'm (still) working on a 20kWh DIY Battery pack and am in the final hurdles of cable runs to get that up and running.

Then I'm done!!!

Point is, you can take whatever route you want, pay the installer, pay more but get it done very quickly or you can DIY which will take a lot longer but lower cost. Either way or combination of both, totally up to you which route to choose and where to stop...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

But...for those reading this that don't have solar, you can spend as little as ~40 quid per month on solar as a service. There's a Toyota Yaris (solar as a service), then a Bentley, and everything in between. Each provide juice, it's just down to how much and what works for each house (cost and design and need wise).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

This may be a silly question, but has anyone successfully brought their solar with them when they moved?

The OP mentions moving house, meaning that unless the sale price includes the solar install price, they'll never break even.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

House value will go up by value of install one would imagine, less headache for new owner with no hundreds long Quotes Thread to read through

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Would you mind sharing what system you have to give people a rough idea?

We are currently saving for a solar pv system and have a few quid put aside but looking at the grant available it's hard to know whether to spend what we have now or keep saving. Some of the quotes in the quote thread are quite large to us so another valid question is would an installer be even interested in a smaller install?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I'll flip that on its end, If there was 2 identical houses except one has solar and one doesnt, Would it be worth more? Or.. would it be easier to sell?

And once your on the house scale of money, Its hardly worth the bother taking down the old panels and putting them on the new house.

Prob wouldnt be much difference in just putting up new panels on the new house.

Batteries on the other hand, Much easier moved. (and batteries dont effect the BER rating)

4x Sunport 455w panel from DoneDeal (new) & ABB UNO 2.0 inverter, home made ground mount

We asked that exact Q and our installer said roughly 2k to move and put back up (was a very loose cost months ago over a coffee and before they all got mad busy). For 2k I'd likely move it as our kit is new and no learned curve for me (as I know that kit) IF I wasn't getting a price bump from having it

So if / when we do sell, we can

1) Sell 'as is' with the extra cost of the solar included. I reckon it would bump our house price. As @graememk says which gaff would you buy. I'd give estate agent the blurb on having the lowest energy bills in the area, and EV ready with the Zappi. Would be the truth, not spoof numbers (hate that marketing crap of zero bills). 10-15k is small beans in terms of house prices in Dublin anyways, so I'd expect we'd sell 'with the house'

2) Or we'll remove it if buyers won't pay for it and remove the few screw holes in the walls so it's back as was. And sale price doesn't include solar.

But it's deffo a good 'challenge' to have when selling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

I wanted my installer to fit some of those 560w in my roof but he didn't really take me on. I guess the weight is too heavy and puts installers off. :-(

Are the 455w much bigger than the 410w?

I got some very cheap 380W panels a few months ago that are 1.76m*1.04m. Those 560W panels at 2.30m*1.1m are just 7% more efficient per m2 panel, but I bet they are charging 100% more for them than what I paid.

Beware. Don't let those mighty high wattage panels fool you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,744 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I don't get this panels last 20-30 years argument, so that makes them a viable investment. Can someone please explain.

Electric ireland have a solar savings calculator, which for Munster says that a south facing 15° roof would save €291 with a 1.6 Mw annual usage. This site says 2kw of panels will cost €5,500.

That gives a break even period of 19 years, provided there are no maintainance costs and nothing breaks and not a single cent has to be spent additionally to facilitate using all of the energy generated by the panels.

I fail to see the incentive or attraction. 19 years just to break even. Invest that same €5,500 at the same ROI of 5.29% compounded and the 19 year return would be €14,646 vs the panels saving you €5,529.

Not just meh, but no way, jose.

• Advertisement

@cnocbui - "this site says 2kw of panels will cost €5,500"

LOL I put up 4.5kwp on my shed DIY for about €2k spring of last year. At the time I calculated the pay back period with my usage at about 2.5 years, but before any of these electricity price increases. Now the pay back period is more like 1.6-1.8 years. In other words, it will have almost fully paid for itself in electricity savings by now. And I could take the whole system down tomorrow and sell for more than I paid. Have your cake and eat it. All tax free too.

BTW where do you get that 5.29% guaranteed return on a zero risk investment after taxes?

Your DIY tales and costings don't count.

BHP shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

woah, who are offering the 5.29% interest rate? genuinely interested

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Why don't they count? Because @cnocbui says it only counts if you get an overpaid installer to do it, who overcharges you for parts and labour and makes a huge profit? 😁

BHP shares? LOL, hardly risk free, not a guaranteed return and any gain is taxable for CGT.

Don't forget Irish price bonds. They also pay about 0.5-1% and tax free too. But it's luck of the draw, I have some and I think I have averaged about 0.2% return 😂 (or basically a loss of several percent of my capital in real terms because of inflation)

BHP shares currently have a dividend yield of 12.42%. $1,000 invested 20 years ago would now be worth $5,719.30.

I think that ESB calculator hasn't been updated since they brought in all those price increases.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Shares.. is where you went. Generally the most risky investment going.

Sure you could 5x your money.. or pick the wrong one and have 0.

If we take our guide on the quotes thread of 1.2k/kWp a 2kwp system should be circa 2.5k,

1600kwh generated self use would be high because it's a small array, say 75%

291 isn't actually too far off ... But the cost of putting them up is.

Instead of just going nah, have a look into it other than a cursory glance. (Since when would any energy supplier be a good deal for anything other than actual energy when it's all sub contracted out anyway!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭Alkers

Do either of you work from home?

Bungalow should be a cheaper & more straightforward install.

The thing around here tends to be to whack up 10k of panels to generate as much as possible but I think a 2.5-3kW system is the sweet spot in terms of using a high percentage of what you generate, not ending up with loads of excess going to grid and most importantly getting the install for as cheap as possible. You should be paying less than 4k after grant for a smallish system.

Advertisement