Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭j_lennon18

I sent the cancellation email about 25 days ago. I never got a callback but got 2 emails and 1 text to call them to discuss broadband only packages.

I finally called them today, the best they offered was 6 months half price (30e) for the 500mb. I asked for 9 months saying my wife will sign up as new customer and also that my friend got 9 months, but they didn't budge and she said every account is different. Guessing it's because I can't get SIRO or Eir fibre so I'm stuck with Virgin for fast internet.

So I'm sticking to the cancellation and the wife just signed up for the 500mb 40e a month for 12 months. She couldn't get the package online, the basket kept going empty when she signed it. Maybe because she has a mobile phone with them or the fact there is a few days left on my plan but the girl on the phone quickly set it up for her.

Hopefully there is not much downtime between the switch as I expect the new device on Monday or Tuesday at the latest and the current plan ends on Tuesday. Worse case is I will share my phone internet with my computer for a day or 2. It's worth the savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,503 ✭✭✭baldbear

Rang them today. First time in 2 years j haggled. Got half price for 6 months and €60 for 6. Was getting it for €67 a month.

Went with it as couldn't be bothered switching and WFH has gone well with their BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭One More Toy

If I ring today and try and get a deal, and fail; can my wife order immediately in her name tonight so there will be no interruption in service?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭bren2001

I cancelled a while ago and signed up again myself no issue. I have two phone numbers and email addresses and jump between them every year. I've never had an issue. If you input your phone number on the site when resigning, it will kick you out saying you are already a customer. I just use a Tesco sim.

Was there any interruption of service? Is it 30 days notice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭bren2001

Yeah, I gave 30 days notice. Signed up for a new plan a few days before the old one ended. I had two services for 2-3 days.

You are a new customer so you get a brand new set of equipment you have to "install" and you lose all your recording etc. on the Virgin box as you have a different one. None of that bothers me.

Cheers. Think I'll do that then if they can't match the new customer offer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Contract up in a few days so making the dreaded call tomorrow. Just wondering if i did cancel and herself signed up how would i be fixed with regards my home phone number? Would i be able to transfer that over to my wifes account after i cancelled? Currently paying 75 a month for 500mg BB and Phone so would be wanting at least half price for 6 months otherwise in the current climate it would be crazy to not sign up with a new account. Package i'm on is 43 pm for 12 months for new customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Just out of contract and made the call today. Waiting for 30 minutes to speak to loyalty team. Asked what offers were on the table and she replied no offers at all. A bit shocked to tell the truth, so I requested to cancel. She cancelled my direct debit and that was it. The clock is ticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭bleaks

They'll ring back and offer you 12 months half price. Say you're moving to Eir.

On a separate note, got offered this with a new TV box (that looks like a black version of the white modem). I used to love tuning into the radio stations on the Horizon box, but can't seem to find radio stations on this new box. Someone please tell me there's a way to get these running on this!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭bleaks

Rang up to cancel, told them I couldn't afford it. 'no problem I understand' and straight to cancellation, not even an offer of any sort. Will be signing up under the missus in a month's time

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭questionmark

Rang rang to cancel and was offered 6 months half price (was paying 63e for 250) canceled and signed up in annother name. Rang back to day and offered 12 months at half price , so now I need to cancel the new one I ordered.

Dose anyone have a email to cancel via ?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Cookiee

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭EarWig

Just be careful that you don't end of paying for both new and old account, like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭questionmark

Hope not :o

New box has not arrived yet , so going to try refuse delivery. But postman has a habit of leaving in random places or with neighbors (which is normally great)

Virgin being sued in High Court by Comreg over alleged flaws in contract termination procedures.

The regulator further cited a ‘save activity’ procedure on those 1908 calls as acting as a disincentive to customers wishing to move supplier, together with Virgin’s imposition of a 30-day notice period on people seeking to switch.

What is this 'save procedure'?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40959263.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I think the save procedure is when they a do Mrs Doyle on it, ah shur you'll stay if we give you some discount, gowan gowan gowan....

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭robnet77

I've been with Virgin Media (UPC) for almost 15 years, currently paying 67 euro a month for BB only and really want to start doing the yearly switch between myself and my partner.

How do I go about it? I heard it's possible to request immediate cancellation, maybe on another thread.

Should my partner sign up and wait to get the new service, before I cancel mine? Thanks.

'save procedure'

Maybe the initial refusal, then the later phone call to 'save' you.

• Advertisement

we've cancelled a fortnight ago on the email address above ... no calls from them yet begging to keep us

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭robnet77

Is it possible to cancel without giving the 30 days notice, if you're out of the 1 year contract, please?

we are out of that and was still 30 days

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Cancel via emailing cancel@virginmedia.ie then you'll be sent an automated email with date of your last day of service.

Get the Mrs to sign up today and you'll get sent new kit etc (think they now charge a €50 activation fee but its still worth paying it).

Don't activate the new service by plugging it in until say 2 days before your old contract ends.

You then return the old kit as per their instructions and you are done for a year. You are only paying for the new contract.

Stick a reminder in your phone for 11 months time to repeat the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭A-Train

I sent the email last Monday to cancel my broadband as it was too expensive. I got a phone call on Friday looking to see could anything be done and what was the reason for leaving. I started off saying too save us both time I didn't want to do the dance of back and forth and I wanted to cancel.

I was offered 6 months half price and 6 months full, I was on 250mb, I said no I can get better and cheaper with Siro or I can sign up on 500mb with Virgin on a new account under my wife's name.

Then offered 9 month half price and 3 months full, I still said no cancel, finally offered 12 months half price and moved from 250mb to 500mb including home phone, so €38 per month for a 12 month contract. I accepted this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭A-Train

Yeah all on the one call that lasted about 10 minutes or so.

finally called them

the offers we got didnt come close to the value Vodafone were offering for 500mb tbh so we've just cancelled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭madmax72

Does it matter if you use the same bank account for the direct debit as the Mrs and I have a joint account

Advertisement