Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Daniel Ricciardo. So where now for Daniel?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭McFly85

Listening to Ricciardos Sky interview, sounds like Haas have already been in touch, and certainly has no qualms about driving for Alpine again. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Riccardo wants the alpine seat. He gave a very straight answer to sky.

Alpine will get him very very cheap so hopefully it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Ricciardo's situation reminds me of Frentzen. Frentzen had a terrible time at Williams (he only one race there in 1997) where Jacques Villeneuve won multiple races and a title in the other Williams.

It looked like Frentzen was going to be finished with F1 in 1998, but Eddie Jordan took a chance with him and Frentzen was like a new man in 1999. Won two races, other trips to the podium and finished third in the championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Good point.

Not so long ago, Sergio Perez started the last race of the season without a seat. He got one opportunity, and by God did he take it.

Mind you, I think at the time he was driving better than Riciardo is at the moment.

Post edited by mr_edge_to_you on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah Perez was edged out because he was Stroll's teammate. He was beating Stroll but still lost his seat. Not really comparable to DR. I think it was lae in the season too so most seats were taken.

Perez was never really not worth a seat on the grid. RB probably wondered if he was good enough and they had a strong preference for red bull drivers.

Mad to think they let Sainz leave and Albon amd Gasly were the drivers behind him and then bought in Perez. RB would be delighted with Sainz now. Not quite on on Max's level but better than Perez. Bit off topic for this thread though.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dingaan

Agrees 100% with this post. He's not good enough to be a F1 driver in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If Gasly is off to Alpine, would Red Bull bring DR back into the fold at Alpha Tauri? Doesn't seem to be a huge queue of young drivers waiting to take the seat. Could even put Perez back to AT and have Ric back at Red Bull. A bit fanciful I suppose, but could work for all parties.

Ric at red bull in place of perez would be madness. Perez is a decent no.2, above average driver. Ricciardo is statistically the worst driver on the grid apart from lattifi when comparing teammates.

How on earth would moving to AT 'work' for Perez?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I can't see Daniel touching that Alpha Tauri seat. Defeats the whole purpose of Alpha Tauri and the Red Bull young driver programme. Williams still need a money in driver rather than a big money out driver (remember driver pay is separate from the cost cap). Micks P8 qually yesterday, even if he ends up finishing outside of the points, is enough to convince Haas to hang onto him. So I'm afraid he's looking at a sabbatical maybe even a retirement in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Moving Checo to Alpha Tauri and replacing him with Ricciardo would be complete lunacy! Can't see many teams lining up for Ricciardo maybe Williams or Haas if Schumacher leaves. There isn't a stand out F2 driver from the RB academy. Daruvala,Haugar,Lawson or Iwasa aren't good enough for F1 yet so maybe Schumacher to Alpha Tauri would be on the cards

One of the options I heard on BBC was be reserve driver for mercedes and hope he proves himself if Hamilton retires at the end of next season.

It's not a good option but he doesn't have any obvious good options available

I really want to see him stay on the grid somewhere next year to see if he has lost his touch or if it was just something about the mclaren which menst he couldn't drive it.

At Ricciardos age, I can't believe he has lost it.

It must be a combination of the McLaren car and possibly being 2 or 3 tenths off Norris if ricciardo was on it.

I still think he is good enough to sit in any car on the grid but his options are limited and his image tarnished.

Ricciardo has pocketed next year's wages already from McLaren so he should be offering himself on pure performance based fee for next year which might suit the likes of Haas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

whats happening with magnesson, he had a great start to the year but now is being out qualified by mick.

zhoe and bottas are doing fine in the alfa so i cant see mick getting a seat there

latifi has to go. albon is wiping the floor with him. daniel is way better than latifi and at least as good as albon

checo is going nowhere. he is being a great 2nd driver and playing the game perfectly and he gets on with mx

i cant see lewis retiring this year, i think he will ty for for no 8 next year at least, he would be foolish not to, . if lewis did retire they would get ocon as no2 to russel i think

the only option for a seat are alpine, haas or wiliams .

His goal needs to be to convince everyone that the last two years were an unexplained blip and not a permanent decline.

The only way he does that is to get a drive - any drive - and beat or match his teammate (depending on teammate). If he did that I think he could rescue his career somewhat, at least get a few more years out of it.

He should take any seat he can get, any length contract, don't be worried about money.

Personally I suspect he has lost it. Strange to happen so young but everybody ages different. Vettel has been medicore for years now and he's only a little bit older. Then you have Alonso who is 42 and still driving great.

If you had to pick an age range where modern F1 drivers decline it's late 30s early 40s. Age catches up to everybody eventually, nobody is immune to it.

Ms

I think Daniel should be in contact with Alpine trying to get a 1 year contract with them and let them have it performance based if they want.

I would be if I were him. If he does not perform by the Summer break then they could drop him and put whoever they have to replace him in the seat. If he did do well them he could get a new 2 year contract after that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I suspect he's lost it too. This weekend was horrendous. He's not getting better and might be getting worse if anything. Next weekend should be a celebration of winning in Monza, but it will actually be an embarrassing reminder of how poorly he's performing.

A year at Williams or Haas and getting back to a better level of performance and getting a better car is a long shot. But he doesn't have any good options available to him.

Age just catches up to people in different ways. Hamilton and Alonso are really defying the odds by performing so well at an older age. Kimi went off the boil but was lucky to keep his drive for as long as he did. Vettel has been mediocre, as you say and he's doing the right thing by retiring before he completely loses interest and gets worse. Being g beaten by Stroll is a bad look for anyone.

It happens to drivers. F1 should be about the best drivers. If Ricciardo has lost his edge then he should lose his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

A friend said they saw a clip of Daniel talking to Checo saying he'll take 2023 off and come back in 2024. If I manage to find it I'll post it here.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭McFly85

It would be sad for Ricciardo if he ends up going out on such a bum note, he’s a very likeable character and I’m sure F1 as a sport would like to keep him a bit longer.

But he looks broken. It’s almost torturous seeing him have to get in a car he has no affinity with. I’m not sure if he’s lost it or if it’s just the car, regardless the sooner he’s out of it the better.

Ultimately, poor career choices have cost him. Should be a lesson for young drivers, it’s better to be no. 2 in a fast car than to chase being no.1 in a slow one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

Why would Alpine want one of the current worst performers on the grid who also happened to public embarrass them by walking away and signing a contract with their main rivals before he had even started his second season with the team?

I like Dani, but that's just delusional, plenty of better options for Alpine to choose from. Unfortunately he is done IN F1 i think. Hopefully he becomes a star of the WEC which is primed to absolutely explode in popularity over the next few years.

Ms

Why would Alpine want one of the current worst performers on the grid who also happened to public embarrass them by walking away and signing a contract with their main rivals before he had even started his second season with the team

That's wrong. He raced for Renault for two years. At least get your facts right. They would sign him because he knows most of the team and got on with them and them him and his driving styles suited the Renault unlike the Mclaren.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Thing is though, it's not exactly the same team he left. Cyril Abitabul is gone and Otmar Schnaffhaur is in charge now, so it'd be equivalent to moving to Racing Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

That's a bit of a stretch... One change at the top hardly means it's like Racing Point. I'd imagine the majority of the back room team, mechanics etc are largely the same

Ms

Nope it is basically the same team he left with some new staff in top places so it should be even better in the next few years.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I don't see any issue re ricciardo and the actual mechanics / workers at alpine.

He signed for McLaren but had a very successful final season with them. It's not like he signed for McLaren and phoned it in for the remainder of his time.

Yeah it's probably not about his working relationship with the team. More about the fact that his form is so poor and his age profile (plus wages) don't make him attractive to a decent team like Alpine. The car is about as good as the Mclaren and he's currently losing the battle for 4th for Mclaren. Given all that, and the fact that they're relying on him remaining poor to claim 4th onnthe constructors championship, would they want him?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 MV33

I don’t see DR having an F1 seat for next season tbh

Nice guy but has lost it.

Im glad to see the trend of new blood entering f1

Ms

I think they would be more than happy to have him especially if he came cheap now. He would be worth the risk for the 1st half of the season at least. Alpine need to get someone to replace Alonso and if its not Daniel then how about Kimi Raikkonnen lol or try and convince Vettel to drive a bit longer lol. I would be very happy to see any of them 3 at Alpine

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

By all accounts, the McLaren is odd to drive.

Even Button and Rosberg were arguing over this last weekend. Rosberg making the very valid point that this year's car is built under entirely new rules and so a different car completely and ricciardo is still off the pace. Button arguing that the McLaren tends to have an odd characteristic that McLaren crew say has carried over.

Jury is out for me. Would love to see him back in the alpine. Competitive team mate in a different car then either sink or swim.

Would be a shame if he limps out of F1 like this.

Advertisement