Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daniel Ricciardo. So where now for Daniel?

• 24-08-2022 5:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,298 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Where do you think Daniel will go now? I would still love to see him stay in F1 and go to Alpine. Personally I think it was a mistake of his to leave Renault/Alpine in the first place.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Hindsight is 20/20 and all that. McLaren were on the up, and with Sainz signed for Ferrari, it was the most attractive seat on the grid. If you go back to the 2020 F1 thread around the time Riccardo was announced for McLaren I doubt anybody said it was a bad move. If they did, quote them into here and I'll donate €50 to the registered charity of your choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

It only makes sense for Daniel to try get that Alpine seat.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

It'll be interesting to hear the details of the settlement. If its a multi-million deal to walk away from the sport, then he should take it. There are other forms of motorsport he can compete at. He will never be World Champion in F1 so might as well take the chunk of change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,298 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I am quite sure I said it but my head is melted trying to find it. Boards.ie sure do not make it easy anymore.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Ouch Chinese Byrne

I think he will go to Alpine or Haas

either way if he wants a seat he will be taking a massive wage cut to stay in F1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm a big fan of DR. Huge in fact. I even met him back in Monza in 2012 at a fan event when he was driving for STR and he was generous with his time and his energy.

At one stage he was the most promising young driver on the grid. But, he really has not lived up to his potential. I don't know what it is; distraction, lack of passion for it, lost nerve, who knows. One thing is for sure, you cannot survive in F1 when being beaten consistently by another driver in the same machinery.

If I were to offer him advice, at 33 years of age, it would be to seek out a drive in the exploding WEC field, which is going to see Works prototype teams rolling out in '23 and' 24 from Ferrari, Peugeot, Cadillac, Vanwall, Audi, Penske-Porsche, BMW, Acura Honda, Lamborghini and possibly even Bugatti, Ford and McLaren.

With those well funded outfits all in major competition to seek the best drivers (3 per car) Ricciardo will be highly sought after and well remunerated. In fact, with his strong Italian heritage, you could easily envision him leading a team of prancing horse prototypes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

All makes sense re WEC but I'd like to see him have one more go at F1 with Alpine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

I can almost see Alpine, but not Haas. Id rather see him in WEC than a Haas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If he stays in F1 he'll probably end up at Williams, he isn't good enough for a top team anymore maybe even a midfield team

Ah bull crap.

He wasnt winning races with Renault but he beat Hulk and Ocon as his team mates.

Ocon was not slow then or now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Now that is rubbish.

It may be that the weight of expectation at McLaren became too much, but he would be every bit as good as Bottas in an Alfa Romeo, for example.

Whether he wants to be, is another matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Alpine is the best option, and now that muppet Cyril Abitabeoul is gone, I think he can make a good comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

They bought out year 3 and he can go wherever he wants to

He hit his peak at RB, he's been an awful signing for Mclaren except for a very lucky win at Monza. He has failed to adapt to two cars, he's been completely outclassed by Norris and he's so far off the pace. I honestly don't think he'd do any better in an Alpine, I think he'll end up at Williams or maybe Haas if Schumacher left and hang around P12 or lower. Don't see too many teams wanting him, Alpine should really go after Gasly. He'd be a much better signing than Ricciardo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭McFly85

The problem with Ricciardo is that he’s a good step below the likes of Verstappen, Hamilton & Leclerc. He’s a very likeable driver who had the unfortunate timing of being the no.1 in a good car for a couple of years while a great car was dominating.

He was never seriously in a position to challenge for a title - if he couldn’t do it in a RB then it’s really unlikely it would have happened somewhere else.

Id like to see him at Alpine just to see if it really was the car or it was him at McLaren. But if he leaves the sport, I think he won’t be missed for too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭thefa

Interesting to theorize what caused the drop in form. At a simple level he went from 7 years in Red Bull teams to back-to-back 2 year stints with other teams, struggling at the start with Renault and struggling in both years at McClaren who had a talented and embedded driver.

He seemed to benefit from the stability but was willing to let it go when he was no longer number 1 for valid reasons given his aspirations at the time. Maybe he underestimated how good Norris would be and how quickly he could adapt to the car.

Pure opinion but I think the psychological side plays on him more than some of the rest of the grid - he’s more of a confidence driver and craves team support in comparison.

That win last season just eased the pressure for a while in a season where he was soundly beaten by Norris. This was coming for a while and it was disappointing there was no upturn in form - it’s actually getting worse. Hope he finds a seat for next year. Himself and Ocon battling it out next year would be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭oceanman

he is a nice likeable driver no doubt, but the wrong side of 30 and never going to be world champion. anywhere he goes now will be further down the grid. maybe time to hang up the boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

A likeable and charismatic driver. I can see him moving to motorsport in America, he has the big personality for it. In something like Indycar which has such a depth of field I think he could find his position, rank and footing quickly and settle into it. Since leaving Red Bull and even more so leaving Renault he seems to be struggling to find where he fits on the F1 grid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think it’s hard for these guys to leave F1 voluntarily if they aren’t at retirement age. They spend their whole lives from childhood working towards it. I’d expect him to still be in F1 as long as there’s a team that wants to sign him but who knows, maybe he’d rather go to Indycar or WEC but I’d be sad to see him gone from the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Son Of Caba

Honestly, I feel as if he should retire/step back. The reports mentioned about going to Haas, if they are true would be a mistake in his career. I think he should take a step back, gather himself and maybe be a reserve driver for next years season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Reserve driver is a mad decision. Reserve is fine for a driver on the way up but it's as good as retirement for a driver on the way down.

If he wants to stay in the sport he needs a seat for next year. Bad as his options outside of Alpine are, he needs to get into another car and show that his dip in performance was just something specific about the mclaren. His options aren't great and needing a Haas or Williams makes it a long shot to get back into a front running car. But that's the best chance he has.

Ms

I disagree about Haas. I woukd much prefer to see him back at Rebaukt/Alpine but if that option is not there then Haas might just be what he needs to prove he has still got it and reinvigorate his career.

Haas are not the worse car most times and are even competitive some times. As long as they do not to being like they were in 2020 and 21 then it's an OK move for him and he really loves America too and it being an American team means he would fit right in.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If he takes a year out or goes for a reserve driver role then he’s gone from the grid for good I reckon. If he wants to stay in F1 he needs to repair his reputation and the only way to do that is by getting a seat for next year.

Alex Albon did manage a comeback of sorts but those were different circumstances.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 665 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

I think he stock has taken a nose dive, not sure why'd you take a punt on him now. Lovely chap but I think his chance at a top team is finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

HAAS , One of the most bankable drivers in the US , not sure how but they love him. Would be worth the fee as the Sponsorship interest would take care of the rest. Not a top team but at least on the grid for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭geotrig

Its sad where he is now , he looked a bit deflated in his vid a bit and probably hasn't had any solid offer due to recent run of form . with most good seats already being gone and the way it played out probably blind sided him somewhat ,Id love for him to finish the season really strong to bring his stock back up a bit , he is a great character to have on and around the grid so would be missed next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭oceanman

the problem is when you slip down to the mid field teams you are really only there to make up the numbers, his best days are sadly behind him.

that said he probably is not short of a bob or two. i wish him well whatever he decides.

Bernie used to keep a hand in the driver merry go round to facilitate movements etc.

With all the dodgy dealings he got up to,

He would have been all over this and wouldn't have the likes of ricciardo being in danger of dropping out of the sport.

Post edited by mickdw on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

That's a tough watch, the man is absolutely shattered.

I really hope he can perform in the remaining races or even just land a backmarker seat for next year and just reset.

• Advertisement

Pretty honest and vulnerable. Fair play. Hope it works out wellfor him.

One thing to note is the complete lack of a bad guy in this situation. Neither DR or McLaren have painted themselves in a bad light. No backbiting, no public tantrums. Both he and the team have been supportive of each other in public. That takes a bit of class because I'm sure there must have been some cross words at some points.

Listening to Ricciardos Sky interview, sounds like Haas have already been in touch, and certainly has no qualms about driving for Alpine again. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it happen.

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

Riccardo wants the alpine seat. He gave a very straight answer to sky.

Alpine will get him very very cheap so hopefully it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Ricciardo's situation reminds me of Frentzen. Frentzen had a terrible time at Williams (he only one race there in 1997) where Jacques Villeneuve won multiple races and a title in the other Williams.

It looked like Frentzen was going to be finished with F1 in 1998, but Eddie Jordan took a chance with him and Frentzen was like a new man in 1999. Won two races, other trips to the podium and finished third in the championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Good point.

Not so long ago, Sergio Perez started the last race of the season without a seat. He got one opportunity, and by God did he take it.

Mind you, I think at the time he was driving better than Riciardo is at the moment.

Post edited by mr_edge_to_you on

Yeah Perez was edged out because he was Stroll's teammate. He was beating Stroll but still lost his seat. Not really comparable to DR. I think it was lae in the season too so most seats were taken.

Perez was never really not worth a seat on the grid. RB probably wondered if he was good enough and they had a strong preference for red bull drivers.

Mad to think they let Sainz leave and Albon amd Gasly were the drivers behind him and then bought in Perez. RB would be delighted with Sainz now. Not quite on on Max's level but better than Perez. Bit off topic for this thread though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Dingaan

Agrees 100% with this post. He's not good enough to be a F1 driver in 2022.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If Gasly is off to Alpine, would Red Bull bring DR back into the fold at Alpha Tauri? Doesn't seem to be a huge queue of young drivers waiting to take the seat. Could even put Perez back to AT and have Ric back at Red Bull. A bit fanciful I suppose, but could work for all parties.

Ric at red bull in place of perez would be madness. Perez is a decent no.2, above average driver. Ricciardo is statistically the worst driver on the grid apart from lattifi when comparing teammates.

How on earth would moving to AT 'work' for Perez?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I can't see Daniel touching that Alpha Tauri seat. Defeats the whole purpose of Alpha Tauri and the Red Bull young driver programme. Williams still need a money in driver rather than a big money out driver (remember driver pay is separate from the cost cap). Micks P8 qually yesterday, even if he ends up finishing outside of the points, is enough to convince Haas to hang onto him. So I'm afraid he's looking at a sabbatical maybe even a retirement in my opinion.

Moving Checo to Alpha Tauri and replacing him with Ricciardo would be complete lunacy! Can't see many teams lining up for Ricciardo maybe Williams or Haas if Schumacher leaves. There isn't a stand out F2 driver from the RB academy. Daruvala,Haugar,Lawson or Iwasa aren't good enough for F1 yet so maybe Schumacher to Alpha Tauri would be on the cards

One of the options I heard on BBC was be reserve driver for mercedes and hope he proves himself if Hamilton retires at the end of next season.

It's not a good option but he doesn't have any obvious good options available

I really want to see him stay on the grid somewhere next year to see if he has lost his touch or if it was just something about the mclaren which menst he couldn't drive it.

At Ricciardos age, I can't believe he has lost it.

It must be a combination of the McLaren car and possibly being 2 or 3 tenths off Norris if ricciardo was on it.

I still think he is good enough to sit in any car on the grid but his options are limited and his image tarnished.

Ricciardo has pocketed next year's wages already from McLaren so he should be offering himself on pure performance based fee for next year which might suit the likes of Haas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

whats happening with magnesson, he had a great start to the year but now is being out qualified by mick.

zhoe and bottas are doing fine in the alfa so i cant see mick getting a seat there

latifi has to go. albon is wiping the floor with him. daniel is way better than latifi and at least as good as albon

checo is going nowhere. he is being a great 2nd driver and playing the game perfectly and he gets on with mx

i cant see lewis retiring this year, i think he will ty for for no 8 next year at least, he would be foolish not to, . if lewis did retire they would get ocon as no2 to russel i think

the only option for a seat are alpine, haas or wiliams .

His goal needs to be to convince everyone that the last two years were an unexplained blip and not a permanent decline.

The only way he does that is to get a drive - any drive - and beat or match his teammate (depending on teammate). If he did that I think he could rescue his career somewhat, at least get a few more years out of it.

He should take any seat he can get, any length contract, don't be worried about money.

Personally I suspect he has lost it. Strange to happen so young but everybody ages different. Vettel has been medicore for years now and he's only a little bit older. Then you have Alonso who is 42 and still driving great.

If you had to pick an age range where modern F1 drivers decline it's late 30s early 40s. Age catches up to everybody eventually, nobody is immune to it.

Ms

I think Daniel should be in contact with Alpine trying to get a 1 year contract with them and let them have it performance based if they want.

I would be if I were him. If he does not perform by the Summer break then they could drop him and put whoever they have to replace him in the seat. If he did do well them he could get a new 2 year contract after that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I suspect he's lost it too. This weekend was horrendous. He's not getting better and might be getting worse if anything. Next weekend should be a celebration of winning in Monza, but it will actually be an embarrassing reminder of how poorly he's performing.

A year at Williams or Haas and getting back to a better level of performance and getting a better car is a long shot. But he doesn't have any good options available to him.

Age just catches up to people in different ways. Hamilton and Alonso are really defying the odds by performing so well at an older age. Kimi went off the boil but was lucky to keep his drive for as long as he did. Vettel has been mediocre, as you say and he's doing the right thing by retiring before he completely loses interest and gets worse. Being g beaten by Stroll is a bad look for anyone.

It happens to drivers. F1 should be about the best drivers. If Ricciardo has lost his edge then he should lose his place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

A friend said they saw a clip of Daniel talking to Checo saying he'll take 2023 off and come back in 2024. If I manage to find it I'll post it here.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

It would be sad for Ricciardo if he ends up going out on such a bum note, he’s a very likeable character and I’m sure F1 as a sport would like to keep him a bit longer.

But he looks broken. It’s almost torturous seeing him have to get in a car he has no affinity with. I’m not sure if he’s lost it or if it’s just the car, regardless the sooner he’s out of it the better.

Ultimately, poor career choices have cost him. Should be a lesson for young drivers, it’s better to be no. 2 in a fast car than to chase being no.1 in a slow one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement