Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who don’t wash new clothes before wearing them

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,239 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I also wash fruit and veg, especially things like nectarines and apples, and melons get a wash too. The only fruit I don't wash is raspberries, I'll take my chances with those, washing destroys them.

I don't wash new clothes but I do wash bedding and towels - I don't use fabric conditioner on towels and tea-towels as it makes them less absorbent and I don't like the feel of very soft towels I prefer them a bit 'scratchy', they dry better.

I suppose clothes are much more washable than they used to be, you can wash most things now, but there are still a few things that you would not wash, more formal clothes, coats etc. They would end up mankier after dry cleaning with chemicals than not cleaning them at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,848 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, big fluffy towels just push the water around your body, rather than actually absorbing it. tea towels usually take a few washes before they become effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You’re probably familiar with Boohoo? Most women I know anyways order clothes from them, and you don’t have to go as far as the third world for that kind of exploitation and hygiene risks. Leicester will do -

I’d iron shirts out of the pack, never thought there was any need to be washing clothes and bedding out of the pack or off the rack though, just seems a bit excessive.

Clothes have become so cheap and disposable now though that you could nearly do Vogue Williams on it 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

Wouldnt put Boo Hoo near me i was brought up to buy good quality clothes that last, i disagree with the exploitation & awful cheap materials of fast fashion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,021 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

It's the nonsense of demonising 'chemicals' as if they were something bad that I was getting at. There was no mention of what chemicals involved were, just the dumbass scare-mongering use of 'chemicals' as if they were all poisonous. For all we know the op could have meant air or water, both made of chemicals, as is everything on the planet.

Anyway the fact that new clothes may contain fungicides or other pesticides means nothing without knowing what the active ingredients are, their effects on human skin (if thats the route affected), and the concentration.

Poisoning is all about the dose not the fact that there might be something poisonous in the clothes.

Sure the air we're all breathing right now has lots of toxins in it and we are not keeling over from it.

I've never even heard anecdotal evidence of new clothes causing someone harm never mind objective scientific evidence. Bring it on and change my mind.

Unril then the OP is the weird one here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Do skin rashes qualify? and many chemicals are intended to be and are toxic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Are you sure online is good, Joe Lycett does not really think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Do you ask a woman to wash her vagina before you go down on her? Out of sight is out of mind!

What a waste of water and electricity that is... especially with things the way they are at the moment. It's not like they do a marathon and then try on the garment. How dare you?!

Post edited by Brid Hegarty on

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

well if it smelt like someone else was just in it probably yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭thedart

Don’t you have to apply a paper barrier to try on panties in case a squirt occurs?

Not had new clothese as such for,,, Oh socks Never wash before wearing ...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Right, next time you buy any piece of clothing, before you wear it, just for the hell of it, plunge it into a basin with some warm/lukewarm water and mild detergent. Then tell me if the water is still clear.

EDIT: https://www.businessinsider.com/toxic-chemicals-in-clothes-cancer-2019-7?r=US&IR=T#organic-compounds-called-npes-lurk-in-many-clothes-6

https://sourcedenim.com/stories-of-source/chemicals-in-denim

And we'd better not talk about those made in sweatshops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I wouldn't expect it to be clear. I'm sure there's stuff on new clothes, but I'm also not one bit worried about it.

What's the insinuation here anyway, that it's carcinogenic or something?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

PFAS are b*tches and prolonged contact with them (be it through fabric or through the non-stick material on pots and pans or through plastic) does cause cancer. Then there are the other chemicals, as well as the general dirt they pick up along the way.

I'm not saying you'll die on the spot by wearing them, but I do think it's gross not to wash them first. At the very least, the fabric used to make them has been treated and it's unlikely it was washed before the garmets were made. Then they were handled by numerous people along the way (cutting, sewing, trimming, labelling, what have you), then they were piled and packed and sorted and wrapped. Then they were shipped, brought to various warehouses, sorted, brought to shops, where yet more people handled them. Then, in the shop themselves, innumerable people (with various levels of personal hygiene) could've tried them on, let them fall on the ground in changing rooms, etc. If they were made in sweatshops, forget it. There's almost no control over what goes on in places where people are exploited.

Think about all the steps they've gone through from thread to your shopping bag. Not washing them might not kill you, but would giving them a wash beforehand kill you, either?

There was a thread about shaking people's hands in AH a good few years before Covid, that was enlightening enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

So we all got cancer. Meh. Something in common I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

I couldn't read past "does cause cancer" without a face palm

• Registered Users Posts: 28,239 ✭✭✭✭looksee

In my teens I lived in Leicester in the UK, a centre for knitwear of all kinds. One way of making a (very small) amount of money was to go to any of the factories, pick up a bag of almost completed jumpers or cardigans and take them home to 'finish' them. This involved at its most basic weaving in loose ends and fastening off at seam ends. The pay was an absolute pittance but many women did it and could get through numerous bags in a week. I did one bag but that was enough and I decided life was too short. You would not want to think too deeply on the kinds of places that these garments resided while they were being finished though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Greyfox

This post is pure tin foil hat stuff. Theirs nothing gross about using your common sense instead of reading bizarre conspiracy theorys. There is absolutely zero proof of anything harmful transferring from new clothes, if there was new clothes would mention it on labels by now.

Billions of people over the last few decades have been regularly buying and just wearing clothes with absolutely no issues. Washing clothes before use would be like washing your hands 30 times a day because you have an overactive imagination.

Just because you don't think something happens does not mean that it doesn't.

As for washing your hands, have we all been disinfecting our hands for no reason, these past two + years? Like I said, I'm not saying it'll kill you on the spot, but it's not good for your health, either. And I didn't say clothes should be washed before wearing just because of the chemicals.

Just because you don't think something happens in Ireland doesn't mean it doesn't happen elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭thedart

I’m doing the harry stylish and wearing dresses from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭Deeec

I suppose you think the detergents you wash your clothes in are 100% safe and couldnt cause any issues. You seem to believe that the alleged chemicals on new clothes cause cancer but cleaning chemicals are safe. I fail to see your logic here.

There are chemicals and chemicals. Some kill you, some don't, some do depending on the dosage. Why do you think there are labels and strict regulations around medicines and weedkillers and fertilisers and insecticides and fungicides, etc?

Usually, when you (or your washing machine) wash your clothes, you also rinse them, so most of the detergents are removed. You do the same with your hands, it's not like you rub soap all over them and off you go. Dry cleaning products are also renowned for being toxic, but then again the fabrics treated are seldom in direct contact with the skin and anyway they usually recommend the clothes be aired out before wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,920 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Towels are supposed to be washed before use. I'd usually wash new cotton sheets just to soften them up and take off any loose lint.

But the idea of washing new clothes before wear is stupid.

Would you take a brand new suit or gown to the dry cleaners before it was ever worn? No, because theres no need.

No underwear or swimwear bought has ever been worn by anyone before, so that problem doesn't arise either.

Yes, new clothes can have a certain smell from the manufacturing process, so just air the item out well, or if its unusually overpowering, use Febreze.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Greyfox

If someone says "something happens" the onus is on that person to provide proof. If someone says they saw the tooth fairy a few times ill ask them to take a picture the next time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭touts

Modern clothes are designed to only be washed three or four times before they look ****. The likes of Zara and H&M make clothes designed to only be worn and therefore washed once. Why waste one wash before you even get to wear it

Those links should be a good start, provided you want to read them (or do some research on illegal sweatshops, dirt, toxic chemicals used in the manufacture of clothes, etc). Saying "I didn't see it so it didn't happen but I'm not looking in case I see it" doesn't hold any water.

Also, for the umpteenth time, let me repeat that it's not just the chemicals that are concerning me, it's the dirt that's on the clothes.

Definition of disposable fashion. If the clothes are only looking ok provided they're not washed too often, that should tell you something about how they're made/ what they're made with.

Straight from the European Chemicals Agency's mouth. Tinfoil hat, right?

• Advertisement

People's homes. Like the handknits,,, these ARE checked. I speak from long experience.

Advertisement