Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sofar ME3000SP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭plasterman

Yes Time of Use.

I say perfect but it only lists 3 proprietary battery models in the menu. So I assume there's no safe way to get DIY LifePo4 or Li-Ion working with the hybrid. But you can with the ME3000SP.

Assume grid CT you can just extend then via cat 5? My batteries will be a fair distance from CU.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭championc

The Seplos BMS links to the "General Lithium" battery type. If it's not there, do a firmware upgrade

Thanks for all the responses. One last question:

What do people typically do with the EPS load, just wire it to a socket after the AC contactor? Would/could an electrician separate downstairs sockets and lights in my house from the consumer unit put them in their own unit and add a manual switchover? It would be nice to retain something of normality during a blackout. Even lights + a single socket would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

All of the above, depends on how much you want to spend, I wired up a separate double socket as a very basic effort

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi All,

So trying to configure the Sofar to not discharge over night during the nightsaver / car charging.

From what I could tell on the device itself I had to add a charge and discharge time but I don't want to set the charge (just yet).

Has anyone done this?

Thanks,

Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭championc

Set up a Time Of Use (TOU) schedule to charge between xx:xx and yy,:yy with 0000watts.

That will charge with nothing while also block discharging

Join the Sofar Automation FB group. You could build the sofar2mqtt device and have Node-Red completely control everything remotely, as well as getting all live data out from the inverter.

Have you an ME3000 or a Hybrid ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

ME3000

I actually started my night time charging a few nights ago, but I reckon I need to additional automation to check for a sunny day the next day, maybe only charge to 50% or something like that.

Not on facebook any more, maybe I can get my wife to join it.

I definitely need to get going with the sofar2mqtt have many people successfully built it?

I've ordered the parts and that's as far as I got.

https://capture.dropbox.com/KEe2gFd0HjjKt0rj

Not even sure if they're the right parts.

Hate soldering.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Off topic but your name is on that link you posted. If that matters to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Has anyone extended the CT clamp using CAT 5/6 but went through a network port to do it?

I have a location I can put the Sofar and there is port on the wall near it. The other end of the cable is close to where the power enters the house.

There would be a couple of joins and port connections then between the CT and the unit, in theory should work but would be interested if anyone has already done similar.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yep, solar CT is going through 6 ports, grid CT is on about 3 I think.

I have 2 sofar cts, eddi CT and a rs485 connection going down 1 cat 6 cable.

Soldering is just practice, gets easier the more you do it.

I think I've built 5 of them so far,

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mrohare

I am struggling to find a type B rcbo @ 25a. would 20a or 32a be ok? the tech data from Sofar has the max input/ouput AC as 13 amps. I would have thought 16a or 20a would have been fine but I am not an electrician. not sure why everyone is going with the 25a??

Thanks for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭allinthehead

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

Not sure. Either going to put inverter and battery into same cupboard as distribution board, which would be about 1.5m cable, or in roof space which would be closer to 5m of cable. Leaning toward roof space as not much space in cupboard. Fairly sure this needs to be 4mm cable.

32 amp would require 6mm square cable ideally. 20 amp should be fine for 4kw. 6 kw would require 25 amp. 25 amp should be straightforward to find. Have you tried local electrical wholesalers? Is it a b type or a type b?

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

Rcbo/mcbs protect the cable not the devices.

20 amp rcbo? https://www.eurosales.ie/products/AD920J.html?name=Rcbo&type=simple&page=2

2.5mm2 is more than enough for the me3000.

What you linked to is a B curve type A rcbo. He mentioned Type B rcbo, unless what he means is B curve.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

correct, that is type A. MCB easy to get, but rest of house is RCBO for safety - it also trips on electric shocks. I know there is no water involved, so probably overkill, but if it helps me sleep better. I think it is going to end up in roof space anyway so little chance of accidental shock (after installation that is).

@graememk are you sure about the 2.5mm2 - this is for the cable going from dist board to rotary isolator. excerpt from me3000sp data sheet is saying 4mm.. I would also assume 4mm from isolator to inveter??

• Advertisement

Do type B rcbo even exist? (The RCD ones with DC leakage)

Why looking for a type B? You could use an rcd/mcb pair.

Well 12 awg, is 3.3 mm2,

The max the me3000 can output is 13 amps, a 1.5mm2 cable could even handle that.

Ya you can get them, older ev chargers without dc protection built in needed them. Some pv systems also need them. There's a section in is10101 on type B rcd protection relating to pv.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

Then does the me3000 need one? There's no pv connected to it.

I should've added they're mad money. I got one from Garo and it was 280 euro.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

yes they exist - but out of stock everywhere...

as for the 2.5mm, safe enough for cable from isolator to inverter then. as for the cable going from roofspace to ground in same conduit as all the others.. maybe don't want to risk the heat a 1.5mm cable, or even 2.5mm, might produce. Thanks for the info though.

@allinthehead you seem to know your stuff. would there be any issue with using a type c in domestic as I can get those ok. as far as i know the only difference is the type c can handle an initial rush when device switched on, as you might get with large machines/heaters etc. and, as inverter shold be effectively always on, that won't be in issue? Also, any idea what a spark is refereing to when he takes about the 'Zs' for an rcbo?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

You may not need type B rcd protection, it depends on the inverter.

Those rcbo's above are Type AC and A rcd protection not B. They're B curve. The B curve refers to the overcurrent protection.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

those are type A (RCD) with B curve. I am no electrician but apparently not the same thing. A type has issues with some load types, though don't think the inveter is that type, but not sure.

there is no mention of 'not needing' a type B in the sofar data sheets - might just go with the C type

• Advertisement

It's a little confusing with Type B and B curve. The C you're referring to has nothing to do with rcd protection. The C is the curve of the overcurrent protection of an mcb/rcbo. The Zs the electrician referred to is the fault loop impedance, C curve can be used if the fault loop impedance is low enough for a given mcb size.

If a type A rcbo is adequate for that inverter then your local electrical wholesalers will have what you need. 20 amp would be fine. You need to size the cable at 1.1 times the rated current of the load. Unless it's specified by the manufacturer. In this case as graeme said it's 3.3 sq so you need 4 sq. Completely overkill but you should adhere to manufacturer's spec.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

Advertisement