Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lower Decks 3x01 - 'Grounded' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
  • 25-08-2022 7:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Lower Decks 3x01 - 'Grounded' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** } Warning: This thread will contain spoilers 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,749 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was a good episode maybe not the funniest but some nice Easter eggs in it like the vineyard lol and Historic Bozeman was cool. Lol at Captain Gavin and FNN lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭corkie

What follows is a hearty and hilarious tribute to Star Trek: First Contact, complete with plenty of imagery and music from that movie, and a guest appearance from the legendary James Cromwell as a tour-guide version of Zefram Cochrane. The ensigns’ visit to Montana showcases this show’s deep knowledge of its lineage, and will surely put a smile on the face of anyone who knows and love this classic TNG movie.

Enjoyable episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Wait, what? This has started? WTF am I doing working???!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Go on Gavan the pilot, fly free!

The animations for the Phoenix were pretty sweet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I did like the big reversal after all that setup even if it does deflate the previous cliffhanger. And I'd forgotten how good the First Contact theme was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Ah that was fun! Really enjoyed the First Contact opening credits music! 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 28,922 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The one thing I was kinda disappointed in was the Gavin bit at the end. Was expecting to meet him again in a future episode after he had become leader of a pre-warp planet or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I forgot how good the First Contact soundtrack was. Played that CD so much when it was released.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,072 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

One of my favourite movie scores. That and TWOK are the only two Star Trek ones that are up there with Star Wars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭eadrom

That was alright. Bit too much going on maybe.

A lot more FC and a lot less ST:III than I expected.

I was really surprised we didn't get a "don't call me tiny" reference in the transporter centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,314 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

A good episode. Good idea and worked well. Nothing special, nothing bad, but worked well. Did like the First Contact callbacks and couple other Easter eggs?

Liked how they brought back Captain Batesmen, good to see he settled in well in the future. Batesmen and Tuvok on the same team, nice.

Admiral Jellico... well, f*ck that guy.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭Evade

Pretty middling episode for Lower Decks but still enjoyable over all. Mariner seems to have slid back along the insufferable scale a bit again. LD must really have taken to heart the backlash over the copy paste fleet from Picard, did anyone else notice the ship variety? Akira to chase the forger, Peregrines to intercept the stolen Cerritos, and a runabout to pick up Captain Gavin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Rawr

Am I the only one who’s a little disappointed that they caught «Captain Gavan» so early on? I was hoping he’d be a running joke for the season :P But, I guess you can only get so far on a Warp 1 Missile.

Yea, that was very enjoyable. Awesome how they managed to combine First Contact and STIII. I was delighted with the tacky First Contact amusement park they built at Bozeman. Geordie’s description of the place in First Contact would make you assume it would be a tasteful National Landmark, but their subvention of this was just hilarious :)

I was also getting a kick out of the scene with Bolmer bluntly deflecting the advances of the vineyard women. It was a stupid joke, but I kind of enjoyed it. Are vineyard women really into Starfleet officers or something? Maybe Bolmer is part Deltan?

Ship variety (where practical / affordable) was the norm before that damned copy/paste fleet. They really tried their hardest to make a bag load of Enterprise D models look like 6 different classes in BOBW, and later in First Contact and the Dominion War we got a whole load of types.

I feel this was mostly Lower Decks continuing the tradition of ship variety from the TNG era.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Yeah, I did think Gavan would be recurring, but who knowsm he still could come back!

If Starfleet has the equivalent of an officer candidate school program Gavin could be a lower decker by the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,749 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ye I don't think he would have git very far in a warp 1 missile basically. Space is big and going at warp 1 into Deep space would be like walking.

Let's hope so even if he became one of the Cerritos crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭corkie

If you don’t like ST: LOWER DECKS but still want to ENJOY it, here’s what you can do…

if you simply can’t bring yourself to believe that Lower Decks is canon, then just repeat to yourself: “It’s just a holodeck sitcom. It’s just a holodeck sitcom. It’s just a holodeck sitcom…” and then sit back and relax.

Post says no spoilers but shows this picture in it?

• Advertisement

I did like the touch where Cochrane's hat was sold as a souvenir. Cromwell still sounds good for 82 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,952 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Enjoyable enough episode. Not the best but then seasons 1 and 2 also started off slow. Some moments I really enjoyed like the First Contact stuff. The Captain Freeman resolution was quite anti-climatic, I thought the season 2 cliffhanger was a setup for a season long Starfleet conspiracy plot.

Only just copped that the vineyard girls thing could be taking the piss out of the Laris/Picard thing in "Picard".

I enjoyed that a lot. I don't know if it's me getting used to the rapid speech of the characters or if it slowed down slightly but I had no problem this time (Old old man 😀).

I didn't really cop the whole Laris thing. I just thought it was a funny joke about him being totally oblivious. Thought all the callbacks were great. From the first reveal of Boimler harking back to "All Good Things" to the Wesley-stile civvies Rutherford was wearing (As well as the stuff like "Sisko's" etc). The music call back to "First Contact" was also great, yeah.

Loved the extremely dramatic investigation/resolution of the Captain's situation. Thought that was very funny. Reminded me of an episode of Buffy which concentrated on Xander and some drama he had going on with some vampires. In the background you were hearing references to some super-dramatic end-of-the-world type storyline that was never mentioned again.

So yeah, really liked this.

They were high school bully Zombies Xander was mixed up with in Buffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,486 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Good episode, but felt a little cut down tbh.

I find it hilarious after all the work the lower deckers did, the big boys solved it all easily in the background :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,954 ✭✭✭✭flazio

That wasn't Wesley style. That was straight up early Jake Sisko.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,038 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Good opener; light on laughs in places but at season 3 they have earned the ability to just have a story's beats rest on it's characters' shoulders. Thought the Captain Freeman plot would last longer, but can't complain too much. Just happy to see these guys back; even Mariner was fine, still hyperactive but we know now there's more to it than just obnoxiousness for its own sake.

I do like how they leaned onto the idea that her parents are protecting her Starfleet career. I had assumed before that she was under her mother's command to keep her safe.

Again, it makes me imagine a past were Mariner was a confident career Starfleet officer (who might have made it to Full Lieutenant at one point), but then something so horrible happened that she got banged down to Ensign on boring Cali-class duty. I'm still guessing that something awful happened during the Dominion War, but it could be anywhere else. For all we know she was on the Enterprise E when something serious happened (Riker did know her didn't he?).

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Decent episode but it didn't really kick into gear until they got to Bozeman. Some nice in jokes though they're starting to lay them on a bit thick. The 'ketracel white' hot sauce is a good joke in itself but they literally shove the bottle in the viewers face to make sure you get the joke. I was surprised at how quickly the captain Freeman storyline was wrapped up but I suppose that's the joke of Mariner not trusting Starfleet. I was afraid we were slipping back into the obnoxious Mariner of S1 but they dodged that in the closing moments of the episode.

• Advertisement

Advertisement