Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating oil big drop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Just placed an order for 500 litres of kerosene with Curran Oil in Meath. Came in at €600.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭RINO87

850 litres for 1053 is cheapest I can get in Nth Tipp = 1.24 cpl - Emo oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Ya there's a few cheaper alright, but none that deliver to here we are (Connemara). Thanks though! I went with the 630 in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭Villa05

Wrong thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

I was torn between Curran Oil and Q Fuel as both had the same price when I was ordering. The reviews for Q Fuel were not the best so opted for Curran Oil. Just checking there again and Q Fuel have increased their price for 500 litres by €19 in the past 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Will hold off on this another few weeks a €60 increase in Cork over the last week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭bb12

they all jumped their prices today in the dublin region. wonder why that was. the price per barrel on the markets didn't really change

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Glebee

Because they know people will still pay it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I got 800 litres for 960, campus oil here in cartel central (Wexford)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

99c per litre in Culloville yesterday. Asked if they had any coal, they said very little and probably wont be getting more in due to spiralling cost of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Buffman

Looks like the price is beginning to rise sharply in places, company I got 500l for €600 last Wed is now €670, and others on the way up also.

If anyone needs oil and can get it anywhere near 120cpl in ROI, personally I'd go for it now.👍️

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Pulled the plug today myself. Filled to the brim 785L for €973

Crude very volatile, down 3.5% as I type. Euro gone below dollar. Very hard to call

Apparently a deal with Iran is imminent, removing a bunch of sanctions, and adding 1m barrels a day to supply straight away, ramping up to 50 million in 4 months. I never thought I would be scanning the news channels to figure out when to buy kerosene!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,518 ✭✭✭obi604

should this bring home heating prices down in Ireland? if so, when would this be seen - days or weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Prices will not drop.

So-called "experts" on radio suggesting prices will drop have no clue to what they are talking about. Even the AA can't understand the 3 basic elements of fuel price - and there are just 3 variables, all of which can be checked online in seconds and worked out.

Oil price - Brent Crude

Dollar v Euro exchange rate

Refining margins.

Diesel / Kero refining margins are at $55 today. They were $32 just 11 days ago.

The dollar is at 99c/€1 today - it was over $1.03 11 days ago

Oil is $101 today, it was $98 11 days ago.

159 litres in a barrel

so 11 days ago the price of kero/diesel from a refinery was 79c (€) a litre

Today it is 99c

For kero, add 10c carbon, 2c NORA, 12c distribution and then 13.5% vat - your 1000 litres will be €1400 very soon

For diesel, add 41c duty/carbon, 2c NORA, 15-20c retail & distribution, approx. 6-8c cost to blend biofuel (does not apply to kero) and 23% vat and you are at €2.10 - and that will be at the pumps next week

For those "experts" from the AA and other media, it really is THAT simple to calculate the price. I'm as far away from being an expert and can do it. Why can't they do it. - Maybe it doesn't suit whatever agenda they have

The AA in particular have completely incorrect duty figures in their calculations despite it being a simple click https://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/excise-and-licences/excise-duty-rates/mineral-oil-tax.aspx and they completely ignore the refining cost - yet get hours of air time spouting incorrect information

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

@walterking The above is really helpful, thank you. Do you mind me asking where you source the Diesel/Kero refining margin? Tried googling but couldn't figure it out. Apologies if it's very obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭combat14

680 - 730 euros for 500 litres in laois now big jump last few days ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Hooked

Bit the bullet myself today... thanks to this thread and other web resources, like Cheapest Oil DOT ie.

Got 500L for 630 with Amber Oil. Should just about fill the tank. They deliver to a few spots in Limerick, of which I'm one, luckily.

Also grabbed a couple of 34KG tanks of propane, some coal, eco logs and a shed load of clean, dry pallets from work... so I'm well on the way to being prepared for this winter. A sure sign you're getting old, when you're stocking up on the essentials... Cheers again to everyone in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭RINO87

I returned to the bog for the first time in about 20 years this summer and did 3 plots....We only have a single stove here, so will barely make a dent in it. Not a hope in hell my Mam back home and some of her neighbors, or some of our neighbors here could pay these prices for oil, so we made sure we had enough to help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,544 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Additionally if there's power outages this winter as a result of reduced gas to our power plants you could have 20k litres of heating oil and it's useless without the electricity to run the boiler and pump.

I know lots of variables etc but generally speaking…….to heat water for a family of 5 - showers, hot water during day etc. is it cheaper to use the immersion or oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭con747

Have a read from post #49 onwards on this thread for a rough idea. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058207751/average-electric-bill/p2 I seen somewhere else on a thread where someone calculated the whole maths end of it but can't find it.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jyat

The panic buying is starting driving prices mad. Some will never learn.

I doubt now a few Paddies buying oil is driving prices up.

I think it might be wise to be stocked up before winter, mumblings of kerosene to be used instead of gas in Europe due to the price difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 jyat

It is, the 50,000 Ukrainians aren’t buying kerosene on this island. Think about it.

Advertisement