Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House of the Dragon - GoT Prequel Series (non book reader)

Options
  • 21-08-2022 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

Making a non book reader thread as I remember GOT was having book readers posting a lot.

(also I recently found the wheel of time tv series thread was hard to follow because of the book readers there)

Right. Series doesn't seem too far back in the past. One timestamp saying 172 years.. so all within 200 years of GoT I'm guessing.

IMDB says: The story of the House Targaryen set 200 years before the events of Game of Thrones (2011).

Short Teaser Trailer:

House of the Dragon | Official Teaser | HBO Max

More links:

Official Trailer (youtube) - Comic-Con Extended Trailer (youtube) - IMDB page - Rotten Tomatoes page - Wiki page

The first episode is in the wild..

1: Well.. it includes a backstory at the start and then introduces what's going on in this prequel.

I think I've probably have forgotten a lot of GoT stuff as I'm pretty sure there were lots of nods to stuff I probably saw in it.

Definitely has a bunch of fightin/sexin/machinations and Dragons!

I thought the look and feel of the episode felt more fantasy/lord of the rings-ey than how I remember the early Game of Thrones episodes.

The overall story.. yeesh.. feels a bit forced. I dunno. At a guess..

So like.. it's gonna be the two cousins then.. fighting it out to be heir.. eh.. alright then. I'm guessing this must be a distraction.. something of a 'hey look at this' while the magician is doing something to the side so that a GoT style surprise will be pulled later. That said.. it's because I'm guessing this will not be as season 8 style GoT plot as season 8 GoT was.

The writer of Colony TV series (boards thread) and I assume GRRM are who I'm guessing are leading the story. With either of them I'd be expecting surprises.

There was one scene where I could spot some green screen effect I think

The funeral.. as the dragon walked down.. the two dudes looked wierd.. I think they were computered into the scene. Dragon looked alright I think but I was distracted by them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Great start a lot happens in such a short hour I'm gonna steer clear of here until Tuesday morning give people a chance to see it in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Just finished. Twas OK, good, not great. Doesn't look as polished / crisp as GoT imo. I'm just not buying Matt Smith either. Considine was good though, as was Ifans. Will definitely watch it all and see where it goes but after GoT is it just gonna be a similar story with different characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Evade

It was alright for a first episode, I'll give it a few mode to see how it goes. Did it look a bit cheaper than GoT or was it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

It definitely looked a bit cheaper, CGI looked a bit ropey in spots too,

Also I just can't warm to Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭corkie

Though much of this first episode understandably focuses on Viserys, it’s clear that House of the Dragon will soon rest on Rhaenyra’s shoulders. Thankfully it looks like young actress Milly Alcock is more than up to the task before Emma D’Arcy takes over as the older (but perhaps not wiser) princess.

Was wondering why two actress where credited for the role of Rhaenyra.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I suspect there are significantly fewer readers of this source material, tbh.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. Solid first episode that left me looking forward to next week. Dragon CGI definitely wasn't at the same level as GoT but I can live with that, I guess. Love that they kept the original theme music.

Do we really need spoiler tags? It would be nice to discuss each episode openly. I'd like to assume people are intelligent enough to stay out of the thread until they've watched each episode.

Agree with you on Smith, have never been a fan. Plus, he looked more like a Lothlorien elf than a Targaryen in this, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

thats been super confusing as the younger actress aren't that young

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Matt Smith is playing a grown up Joffery type with a sword and an intention to use it he will be as hated as Joffery was

Post edited by RobbingBandit on

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Ok. That was enjoyable.

I'll leave it there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭McFly85

I liked it. It was a nice setup episode for what looks to be a smaller Game of Thrones, which is no bad thing, considering the mess it became in the last 2 seasons.

It looks a lot more CGI heavy, but that may have been a decision made due to COVID, still it didn’t look too bad.

Most of the casting is great too, particularly Considine & Ifans. I’m not sold on Smith, I think he’s the type where I’m always very aware that he’s acting and it takes me out of it a bit, but it’s not a dealbreaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Liked that as a starter and it was a straightforward laying out of the lie of the land. Hard to say if anybody is awful but I can see how Matt Smith might get on people's nerves. Like GOT it'll be where the overall season evolves and it will be interesting to see how the change in actresses works with the planned time shift.

One thing I did like was the reworking of the GOT theme. Fits nicely into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I thought it was a decent start. Well cast, well acted, set up the characters fairly well. It is annoying that it seems like every family has about 5 base names and everyone is just named a variance of it, which makes it difficult enough to track some characters or recognise previous mentions of them.

I thought Matt Smith was fantastic. He plays snide and scheming pretty well. The only issue I had was it nearly felt him and the young actress were being dubbed when speaking Valyerian.

The actual dragons I feel are going to be fairly boring and I hope they're used sparingly, but a show about scheming and plotting for the throne and just the machinations of that world without having to aim towards the crescendo of Night King/Mad Queen has a lot of promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Will all episodes be released or it is 1 episode a week for the next 10 or so weeks??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Glad there’s more balanced commends in here then the 9/10 reviews it’s been getting.

6/10 is a fair score for that episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I turned on the subtitles in the hope they would include in the name of the person speaking. They didn't. In fact the subtitles were a mess. It wasn't always clear who was speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

It was not bad. Especially liked Rhys Ifans and Steve Toussaint. But remains to be seen how much of the cast will be around by the end of Season 1 and I may lose interest if most are dead by the end.

It's not very subtle:

Viserys' hand on Arya's dagger as he explains that "Winter is coming" and I couldn't help laughing at "He called this "The song of Ice and Fire"". I couldn't help thinking of Peter Griffin going:

Matt Smith practically ATE the scenery, throne and all. I get it, he's being painted as the bad guy.... But with layers (Like an ogre 😀). Sort of a cross between Joffery and Jamie Lannister. And all the nods to the GoT families.

As for the effects, yeah, there was a bit near the start where they are riding through a courtyard and it definitely looked like some poor composition. But, as has been said, this was most likely down to Covid restrictions. No, my biggest issue with the effects was

At the end, when Eagon is taking off. I thought it looked SO silly. All I could think of was "Jesus Christ, they are REALLY getting thrown around as it takes off. Their backs!!!"

But one has to remember, this is a TV SHOW! I remember posting something a few years ago about the effects work in the last couple of seasons. That, only maybe 2 or 3 years before they aired, those level of effects would have been the selling point of a HUGE summer blockbuster.

But it was better than I expected. Mainly down to the secondary casting. I know it had HUGE viewership (Congrats.) but I'm not 100% convinced it can maintain that level of interest. I will continue to watch it and wish everyone (Especially the crew) well but I STILL think it's got a hard time getting that "Water Cooler" following.

I think the King is Viserys (like Danearys' brother from Season 1 of GOT). Matt Smith is Daemon (like Aemon who was the Maester at the Night's Watch who was also a Targaryen). The young girl is Rhaenyra (like Prince Rhaegar, who was Jon Snow's real father), and the Queen That Never Was is Rhaenys.

Even the Stark was Rickon Stark like the youngest of Ned's sons.

I know the names and family trees were all done by GRRM way back when, but it's not going to make it easy to follow.

I ask again, are spoiler tags really warranted? They make a thread very cumbersome, imo. Perhaps a mod could clarify?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭TagoMago

Thought it was a pretty good opening episode, that intercut scene was pretty harrowing, haven't been made feel queasy like that since GoT S4!

Matt Smith seems to be polarising but by all accounts its a pretty polarising character so will be interesting to see how it develops

Didn't really notice a drop in quality in terms of effects, but think I was comparing it to equivalent scene setters in GoT S1 (particularly the tourney) so in that sense it's a marked improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Can't say I was too won over by anything that happened. It wasn't bad, just couldn't really get too excited by any of it.

Personally felt Matt Smith was the standout performer. He's a bit warped, and jaded, and petty, but he's no coward like Joffrey.

Rhys Ifans seemed well suited for his role. In a position of influence, and keeping his cards mostly close, he'll no doubt be complex enough to follow.

With regards the "Song of Ice & Fire" dream, at this point in time, would this prophecy of The Prince That Was Promised exist? If so, why would such a secretive dream be needed to drive the urgency? Or is it just the specifics of the dream that make it so meaningful, whereas the Prince prophecy is more vague?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

A lot has changed in the 11 years since GoT was released. Are there any water cooler shows now?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

To prove your point, previously this thread would have had MANY times more entries by this time.

I'd sat that's as much a function of the decline of Boards as it is an indictment of the TV show. The site just doesn't have the users it used to.

Plus a lot of people got burned by the last season of GOT. GOT didn't start off with the viewership or level of discussion in the first season that it had by the last, and so a lot of people are probably waiting to see how this fares out by the end of the season before they decide whether it's worth watching or not. This is a new time, new story, new characters, and 3 years since the end of GOT... people don't have the same level of investment in it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

For someone who liked GOT for a couple a seasons and then felt it was pure g1ck, I think I’ll give this a miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

10M views for that episode. HBO's most watched premiere ever. Pretty much everybody I know is watching it and and talking about it.

Advertisement