Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser eye surgery cost

• 27-07-2022 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Just had a consultation today with Optical Express in Newbridge, all went well and I qualify for the LASIK surgery.

However they quoted me €5,690 which I am quite shocked about.

Is this the norm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I got mine done with John Fenton in LaserVision Eye Clinic on Adelaide Road (across the road from the Eye and Ear Hospital) in 2021 and the net cost was about half that. I got 15% off with my Laya health insurance, and I claimed tax back on the rest.

I'm happy with the end result (although I still have dry eye drops which I use regularly throughout the day). Don't expect perfect vision. I can read this screen or a book without glasses and also drive the car and see the road signs. I'd struggle to read smaller print metres away though (and in such a situation I take out my phone camera and zoom in if I'm stuck!).

John's a sharp guy (and a nephew of the famous Kerry scholar Pádraig Ó Fiannachta). He was flying through operations each time I went in there and I must say I was genuinely nervous at how quickly he was going. We were on the cusp of another Covid lockdown and the place was heaving. But all's well that ends well.

https://www.laservision.ie/about-us/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

I have the VHI 15% and I think it's 20% in tax back? But mine is still coming to €3,700 net cost, that's way too much for me I was expecting €3k at the most. Very positive experince with them until they announced that price. Totally put me off.

€3,700 seems very high. I just checked and, following the 15% Laya deduction, I paid €2350 in total for my laser surgery (on both eyes) in 2021. I then claimed the tax back on that from Revenue, which for me was at 40%, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, while years ago you had to claim your health expenses (Med1 form) back from Revenue at the end of the tax year, now you can claim them back straight away via Revenue's My Account feature if you're a PAYE taxpayer. I paid for the laser surgery at the start of my credit card month and therefore had about 7-8 weeks interest free before I had to clear the credit card, by which time the Revenue had repaid me so it was not too bad [about €1900 was the nett cost to me] (I did have to ring up Revenue and talk to somebody who fast-tracked the refund)

Revenue form: https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/health-and-age/health-expenses/how-do-you-claim-health-expenses.aspx

Great price for you. €5690 genuinely shocked me. Would have been happy with €4k but they tried to be greedy so get nothing now.

Very much thinking of going abroad for this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

One thing that's worth considering that I don't see mentioned here a lot - I got mine done in the Galway Clinic with Frank Kinsella and he does a fixed cost of 2k per eye regardless of prescription. There's no discount for health insurance, but the 20% taxback in available which leaves net payment of €3200. For what it's worth, I couldn't recommend him more - super setup in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

Did they still advise you to refrain from watching TV for the first year and they like?

No. Nothing like that. Admittedly, the place was heaving with people the day I got mine done as a lockdown was imminent and he was flying through people so everything was a bit rushed. I never went back for the routine checkup after four or five weeks either because it was shut down due to Covid, and I haven't felt the need for any checkup yet. Dry eye is the only recurrent issue for me 20 months later.

Did LaserVision on Adelaide Road quote you that price?

Ended up getting this done in Prague last Thursday with Neovize via Pragamedica. Cost me €1440. OE in Newbridge quoted me €5700. I can claim back 20% even though it was done abroad so total treatment cost was €1040. Flights were €130, 4 star hotel for 3 nights was €250.

Flew in Tuesday, pre exam was Wednesday and was about 2 hours in all. The surgery itself was Thursday, was quite nervous beforehand but it was fine, no pain at all but a little uncomfortable. Eyes were sensitive and stinging in the taxi back to the hotel, sunglasses are important. They gave me a sleeping pill and told me to take it when I got back which I did. Slept for 5 hours and woke up with no discomfort but more impotantly my eyesight was incredible. Very happy with the results and would not hesitate to reccomend this company to anyone. We are getting royally ripped off here with laser eye surgery.

Don't worry about not speaking English, 90% there speak it and also there's translators there for foreign customers if needed. No extra charge.

I went alone and had no problems whatsoever, they help you call a taxi and accompany you to wherever.

Very happy to throw all my glasses and contacts in the bin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement