Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Cricket Season 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭wicorthered

Over 30 runs conceded to wides and associated extra balls. There's your reason for the defeat.

Stirlings form is now a serious cause of concern.

I can't make sense of that batting line up. How does Dockrell come in after Campher and Delaney?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

More then Stirlings form to be concerned with but yes, he isn’t playing well. However, for a 31 year old to be strolling out as a professional cricketer, a professional athlete, sportsman in the condition he is in, isn’t good enough. He is massively overweight, not just as an athlete but for any human… so when he isn’t performing… questions are to be asked… he has literally traversed the globe, earning hundreds of thousands of Euros, playing franchise and county cricket for the best part of a decade.

its not beyond his resources to buy a treadmill, some weights, a couple of sessions with a dietitian and with a fitness instructor…. Who both can devise tried and tested programs for him to tune his physique and overall health and fitness to levels of a professional athlete, which as far as I know he still is…. Look like you are interested, you are playing for your country ffs and you have ability… resources, support people, so make an effort.

captaincy is bizarre, the batting lineup, bowling changes, just…hmmmmm

You could also ask why Dockrell isn't bowled more!

On the wide front, they bowled 6 wides, we bowled 8 (one of which cost us 5 runs). (actually I think we bowled more than 8, but the umpires were generous!)

Still, it's good to see that after two games, Afghanistan have finally turned up and kept the rubber alive. Decent debut for Fionn Hand - Fingal cricket is alive and well.

Next game is on Monday, hopefully the weather won't be too bad next week.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Dockrell didn’t bowl a single over. See this is what I mean about the captaincy of this Ireland team.….. Campher bowled 1 over and conceded 14 runs….can’t see anything about Dockrell carrying an injury.

why didn’t Balbernie return to Fionn Hand ? He had taken a wicket, his tail was up…and not the most expensive bowler, he would have taken pace off a bit…

Is there any realistic alternative to having Balbernie as captain? He certainly hasn't impressed me with his tactical nous this summer.

• Advertisement

Dunno about an alternative to Balbernie, he does make some bizarre calls though.

Looks like rain on and off up at Stormont until about 17.00-17.30.

with the covers coming off and associated cleanup best case scenario would be playing around 18.00 but even that might be optimistic… I’d be ‘guessing’ each side might lose 3 or 4 overs…

Ok, 9 overs a side lost… an 11 over swingathon for each team…I suppose being the middle of August we are loosing light so…why schedule the fixture to start so late .. ? Aghhh ok ££££££££

We concede 7 runs off the first ball.

and 17 off the over.

link to watch : https://livestream.com/cricketirelandlive/events/10575993

3-12 off two overs in an 11 over shootout is sensational bowling from Delany. Should give us a chance at least.

Khan dropped; hopefully he doesn’t tee off.

Now Tector looses the ball in the sky for what should have been a simple catch.. ball bounces about 8 feet away from him having been in the air an eternity,

bowling gone to fûck… short, wide, all over the place.

jesus… brutal.

delaney giving Hawthorne verbals, having been wided for a delivery that the batsman could have reached over and caught with his hand, jokeshop umpiring.

• Advertisement

I'd say McCarthy holds the world record for 20 run overs. Seems to bowl at least one a game

First two overs excellent but maybe not the best idea throwing the ball to the leggie in the second last over

Khan off course is 25 off 8 after being dropped on 0.

12.09 required per over.

fûckin hell, some really dogshît bowling, short, wide, full tosses….dropped catches..

lucky the umpires were quite lenient especially on the wides, one was barely on the pitch and the umpire ignored it.

if the openers find a groove and get us a couple of big overs from the get go we have a chance, but … can’t see it. Not how we play.

jeez, Kahn was 30 from just 10.

What did I just see? Balbirnie 4, 4, 6!

and then gone!

What annoyed me about this Afghan side is the number of occasions between overs, wickets and deliveries the Afghan side constantly getting together for a conference, yet the umpires doing nothing, pair of them like tailor shop dummies watching on in silence, same the last game. Obviously done to take the flow and impetus out of Irelands innings.

ireland need to put the boot down, nudging singles won’t cut it. Last two lazy over have put them basically out of it. No thinking big.

Maybe Ireland should take a leaf out of their book. How many times do Irish bowlers go for 4,6,4 etc. Maybe killing the game for a minute would help that.

Jesus Paul Stirling has gone to the dogs.

This is one of the worst chases you're likely to see. It amazes me how panicky they are in T20.

I’d prefer these two jokeshop statues started umpiring.

it’s with that wicket, done, 2-2…

They'll be bowled out in less than 10 overs here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,242 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Isn't there a cliché that catches win matches.

Any tactic like that is worth it to break things up in this sort of thrash cricket game.

So Afghan score 50ish off our final 3 overs bowling and we score just about 13 of their final 3..... down the tubes.

I really don't know what the coaches actually do. Nothing seems to be improving.

All summer wides have been a massive issue. Again today how many runs have wides and the extra delivery cost? What are the coaches doing to remedy this? Why has there been no improvement.

Mark Adairs final over consistently goes for a big number. Why is he A still bowling the last over and B why have the coaches not improved him?

For 3/4 years now the batting consistently collapses. One wickets brings 4. Why have the coaching staff not improved this.

Batsman keep throwing their wicket away to braindead slogs straight to fielders. Why has there been no improvement in the last 3/4 years?

Ireland consistently with both bat and ball get themselves into great positions. Even today after the 8th over in Afghan innings, Ireland were on top, they then blew the last 3 spectacularly. They the scored 28 off the first 9 balls, but collapsed spectacularly. Why do they cave so easy under pressure?

Important catches regularly go down. Do they work on this.

In any other sport the coaching would be questioned

Tyrone Kane beat Clontarf virtually on his own on Saturday with bat and ball, yet he's nowhere near the squad. WTF is going on?

3 years in the international wilderness. I suppose 9 wickets and 50 runs in 8 internationals might be what is putting the management off selecting him…

he had quite an opportunity but he wasn’t pulling up trees….

The point about Adair is important…

coaches and management don’t need to be loyal to players, just loyal to getting results.. why is Adair bowled constantly at the death ? Its a decision that is not working and it hasn’t worked… we’ve all had bosses who in a meeting will decree going with plan A, and when plan A isn’t working they don’t want to stray from their decision .. and will just to save face.. “ that’s the way we are doing things “.. proper leadership… “ ok, that’s not working let’s go with plan B “..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

He couldn't do any worst than Campher who has been a total dead weight all summer. Hand comes in for one game does well and is then dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Kevin O'Brien retires what a fantastic servant to Irish Cricket gave us all some special moments.

• Advertisement

It would be a real bummer to go 2-0 up, in a home series, vs Afghanistan and end up loosing 3-2.

Weather is forecasted to be overcast and dry, temperature a bit on the cool side with light winds so we should get the full 40 in…

Advertisement