Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport application

Options
  • 08-09-2021 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So I am travelling to Portugal with my family this Saturday to visit my sister who moved over there in June. The accommodation we are staying in required copies of our passports and having not been able to travel for the last while my brother discovered his had expired this Summer.

He applied for a new one immediately (I think it was last Thursday) and when he tracks his application it says it will not be ready until next Thursday which is obviously too late. He has looked up contact details for the DFA but so far has only been able to get through to a live chat who said there isn’t much they can do to speed the process up. The number provided is never answered. He is so desperate now he has gotten on to local TDs to see if they can do anything.

Any other ideas as to how it could be sped up? I applied for one myself recently and I believe it arrived a few days ahead of schedule if I recall correctly but don’t want to leave it to chance.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

Hi just wondering how he got on as I'm in a similar boat myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

We were told it would be another week or two but I got on to a local TD and we had it the following day!!

Thanks, may have to take that route

Sorry can you remember but did the passport tracking update to show this, just curious as I've done the same but no change in tracking🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Economics101

I recently applied on line for a renewal of passport card. All (including photo) seemed to be in order. Date of application was 23 July 2022 and the tracker shows 8th August as expected delivery date. This is in line with the Passport Office 10 working day target. Its now 16 working days and no passport card. I tried a web chat query yesterday and was told that they were still assessing security, and that I would be contacted if there were any problems.

My main gripe is that the 10-day target is not being met and that they are still (Aug 15th) giving Aug 8th as the expected delivery date. Someone is either telling porkie pies or is it just the usual sloppy behaviour I have come to expect from the civil service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

I can’t remember to be honest. It was my brother that would have viewed the application. First we knew of it being processed was when the

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Or you did not enter all the details properly? But sure lets blame someone else and lambast them with a cheap sot even when you don't know the issue.

I applied for a passport card earlier in the summer. It took 4 days to arrive. Some friends did the same because they realised how handy it is. Same sort of turnaround. All of them had it within 5 or 6 days.

My guess is that you made an error in the application that requires additional checks.

And generally people renewing passports and filling in details correctly have had their passports delivered within a few days and some saying they got renewed passports within 48 hours.

Hardly "sloppy behaviour". But maybe they have signalled you out for special treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Economics101

I did check details of passport numbers, dates, etc and while an error can't be ruled out, it is highly unlikely. Surely an elementary error should trigger a more or less automatic email saying there was an error and inviting a re-submission. But no, the trace function implies that my passport card was dispatched over a week ago. I don't mind delays if they are straight with me.

Advertisement