Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Supercharger network in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I notice this last week when driving through France & Germany….. it was initially routing me to certain Superchargers, which was grand, as I was planning food/toilet breaks around this, but then suddenly I saw a message on screen that it was sending me to less busy supercharger’s…. In one case it put an additional 150km onto a leg I was driving….

it had actually first sent me to this far away SuC, but then rerouted me to one a lot closer, and as I was going to arrive there at about 45%, I started hammering it….. and then 10 minutes later it routed me to the one further away with an estimated battery of about 6% on arrival…… so I had to behave again as I was running the air on on level 5 fan speed…. (It was 40 degrees out).

I'm still running 2022.16.3

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That's the thing about a Tesla and SuC network, I wouldn't have zero concern on a 6% arrival. On longer UK trips I regularly aim for 5% arrivals to gain high charge rates and so minimal stop time

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

On 2 occasions in Germany I arrived at V3 super chargers, and the car didn’t bother pre-conditioning and I still took the full 170kW my SR+ could take!!!

34 ambient heat takes care of it, even 20 outside and if on a long run and no precon needed, nice seeing the 170, short stop no doubt to use up those SuC freebies

• Registered Users Posts: 32 unabashed_goldfish

Anyone who has used the Enfield site, how does the toll work if you've got a tag? I've seen pictures of the signs saying you need to pick up a token at one of the operator booths when leaving the motorway but we have a tag. Is it smart enough to see you come back on again and not charge you twice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users Posts: 32 unabashed_goldfish

Super, thanks!

.but only if travelling in the same direction (I think)...

Yes only if travelling in the same direction

New balls please for 2023.... Still the NW & SE gets nothing!!!

Castlebellingham North & Cashel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭JOL1

I guess thats progress but hard to believe that the Dublin area is still without a functioning SUC

Maybe a V3 upgrade for Castle North?

Curious as to what Castlebellingham north is getting. There's already 16 (8 N, 8S) there

Someone mentioned in the FB group that this site would be ripe for opening up (and saving eCar's asses), so perhaps the new site is an offline 'Tesla only' site to keep in reserve if/when the existing sites become a sh1tshow when they are opened up...

or...

Would they be getting booted out of the existing forecourts when their lease agreement expires? (And Applegreen get 2 lovely sites with full grid connection for a bank of high power chargers...)

Cashel interesting too, it'd hardly be on the same site as Ionity/eCars (though I'd really hope it would be), though suspect it'll be a local hotel in the town, reasonably close to the M8

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I wonder if the site owner is involved in the decision to open up a given supercharger?

You'd imagine any site owner would be 1,000,000% up for opening of SuC sites, as its just going to drive more cars through their forecourt...

They probably couldn't care less if its a Tesla or a VW charging... in fact, the slower the charge, the better for them as the cars will be there longer..

There's a lot of co-location between tesla and ionity in Norway etc, I don't see why it couldnt be the same site.

Be fun to see do the lights go out if both N and S Castle sites fully occupied with EVs at full tilt, only saving grace is load sharing.

I'm betting same location and just more stalls/V3 upgrade

I hope they never open up in Ireland but if they do, Castlebellingham with 16 sites (8/8 each way)would be the only candidate. everything else has stau these days.

I wonder if the castlebellingham north location will be over the border in NI?

Anyway, good to see they are expanding here. Once they add NW and SE then it will be possible for Tesla owners to traverse the country without using ecars. As it is, we generally only use Ionity or Tesla anyway (except if in the Ioniq28)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭wassie

Anyone know if it is only the V3s site that can be been opened up or do the V2 have this capability?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

By the same logic Applegreen should be welcoming ESB investing in more chargers on their sites, however they want to discourage expansion of EV charging until they can install their own. They have the same incentive to stop Tesla expanding usage of superchargers beyond the already agreed charging services to Tesla vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

That kind of rot should be stopped - actively holding up charger installs to suit your business model, as one of the biggest potential sites for it in the state.

No criteria laid down, could be anything to be opened up, pretty sure I saw some 4 stall V2 UK sites opened up

Totally, especially as they are TII owned sites operated under licence by Applegreen. However you do end up in a mindfield when compelling landowners (or in this case licensees) to provide a service, the only real time the state could enforce a standard is during the planning process.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Could be located in the new 5-star hotel in Cashel... Seems wasteful though to locate one at a hotel. A forecourt would be better for all...

Is Ireland grid support capable of a full set of Ionity and V3 Tesla SuC in these locations. With the newer EVs that's serious power draw at 100% occupancy with fleet of Model 3 LRs and EV6's for example

EV charging is the only industry that results in both energy suppliers and grid operators saying, no thanks we don't need your custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,600 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Wasn't it an applegreen on the outskirts of Waterford that kicked ecars out as well? Ridiculous carry-on

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if that was an AppleGreen site, and would say it was more down to the owner of the garage being as mad as a bag of frogs on acid......

Apparently he would come out and accost every driver trying to get a charge.... accusing one guy of driving a pedophiles car!!!

Advertisement