Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer HSE

• 23-06-2022 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi All,

I am looking for some information on working as a Clerical Officer in the HSE.

I was offered a job in HSE but would take a big drop in money from my current job but life would hopefully less stressful.

i was wondering what it is like to work for the HSE and is there many opportunity's to be promoted up the scale to earn more and also if CO in HSE are moving to the 35 hour work week

Any input much appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Caoimhe2

Hi I am doing the same as you I have accepted a grade 3 position just waiting on a start date, I will also be taking a large paycut. Yes the hours are reducing to 35 hours from July that what I heard. I am not sure about promotions and how they work but I am also on a grade IV panel so I am hoping a position comes on that panel and then I can move up a grade. I also hope the work life balance will be better than my current job. I don't know if you have to be in the HSE for a certain amount of time before you apply for internal jobs.

Hi I am just going through the process after I accepted a position in the HSE currently my pervious employers have to complete a form which includes how many sick days were taking,my attendance and so on..does anyone know once these forms are completed and returned to the HSE what will the next step be?

Hi there apologies for jumping aboard. I just have question. I have never been on a HSE panel before now but was told I'm 55. I went for interview 2 wks ago where over 400 people were interviewed. I dont know how many jobs are available. Is this way down the list do you think? I'm working but my employer would flip if I told him I was leaving but if offered I would take HSE job ..I just dint know if I have a chance or not.

I'm not sure how many people does be on a panel I suppose it depends if its a general panel that covers all departments in the HSE or if its specific to an area as in public health. I am number 14 on a panel that was created last August but so far only 9 jobs have being sent to the panel so looks like the panel will expire before I get a job. On another panel I am number 2 the panel was created last December but only 1 job was sent to this panel. Its really hard to know. No need to tell your boss until u accept a position

Thank you, although I was told there were around sixty jobs going in the region it looks like I might be unlucky afterall. I guess I'll just have to sit tight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Waldo37

Hi,

Congrats on making the mid west panel. I qualified as well. Just wondering where did you hear there was only 60 jobs? Just wondering will I ever get called and when will they send out the expression of interest emails..... As it seemed from the job spec that they were looking for staff immediate.

Thanks

Waldo37

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭I am me123

Hi.

I hope I am in the right thread.

Interviewed for a Grade 3 Clerical Officer position recently.

Was successful at interview. As soon as I received a job offer (managed by a recruitment agency) I was forwarded a Garda Vetting Invitation which I completed and returned to the agency, with a copy of my photo ID on 28th June, last.

Question :

How long should it now take to receive the link to the online vetting form to complete?

Thank you

Hi

Just wondering how your recruitment process is going I too have accepted a position on the 30th May, my previous employers were contacted, health forms completed and I still have yet to receive a contract or vetting form or a start date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 abj

Hi,

I have accepted a position and am currently filling out the Pre placement health assessment form. I am currently on sick leave, going on for three months now with pregnancy complications. Anyone any idea what I should put down? Surely it'll look bad if I put down three months of absences and also not sure when I tell them I am pregnant? Very afraid I could mess it up and somehow lose the position.

Thanks

Congratulations on both job and baby. It won't look bad as sick leave is pregnancy related. You might just have additional paperwork to complete. I know someone that accepted a job offer while on sick leave and they did not start work until 7 months after accepting the job. I am sure they come across this situation all the time.

• Advertisement

Hi.

Apologies for the late reply.

I started my position nearly a month ago now. Received a vetting invitation form from the recruitment agency on June 28th, completed same on this date.

Received email with link to online vetting form July 21st and completed same on this date.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Jumping on this thread as I'm currently trying to take stock of my life, I was thinking of applying for a role in HSE. However I am currently out sick on MH grounds, so seeing above that I have to complete a health assessment with information from employers would surely end any chances I would have.

I had never heard of this request in the past, is this a new requirement?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Stirfryfan

Does anyone know what number they have reached on interview panel for HSE PCRS 02/2002. Results came out at end of April. I am just wondering if they started to call people yet. Thanks.

Hi

Congrats on getting on the panel.Where abouts on the panel are you.I don't know how many people on the panel the position was sent to.On the 27th May the first job for this panel was sent out. A permanent full time position. On the 29th May I accepted the position I am number 1 on this panel. I have still not started all my previous employers completed the reference forms, I completed the Health forms, sent my ID proof of address. I have yet to be garda vetted. Its taking so long. I am not familiar with this department at all do you know anything about it with regards working in it. I am aware it's the medical card department.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Stirfryfan

Congratulations on getting No. 1 on the panel. That is fantastic news. Unfortunately I am well down the list in the teens. Thanks for the info though. It appears to be a very slow process indeed. I hope you hear something soon. Hopefully it will be worth the wait for you. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It's standard practise in the HSE for many years (and I presume the rest of the public service). The process is totally confidential and your file will have a certificate from the OHD indicating that you are either fit, fit with restrictions or not fit. There will be no details regarding your illness on it. In my experience, it's heavily weighed in favour of the applicant. I've dealt with dozens of them over the past few years and don't recall a single one saying an applicant was unfit. (In saying that, we've employed people who later turned out to be unsuitable but the horse has already bolted at that stage and we're left trying to find a suitable position for them which can be frustrating.

No, it won't affect it at all. In my experience every second female employed by the HSE is either pregnant or announces their pregnancy after commencing.

If you accept a position and give your notice to your employer (if your working) who do you manage? I'm on the panel but well down the list so may never be called but I'd be worried about being offered a position and then left unemployed!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

It doesn't work like that. If you're well down the panel, you won't be offered a position until they reach you. Don't give any notice until you have a start date. The ball is in your court - when you're asked when can you start, say you have to give 4 weeks notice (or whatever it is) to your current employer. (I offered a person a position a few days ago and they insisted that they had to give 10 weeks notice which was a bit annoying for me as it was for a critical vacancy but there was nothing I could do). Bear in mind though that the panel can move quite quickly as many do the interview but take up employment elsewhere. Also, if the panel is in existence for a while, many of those on it will get impatient and get a job elsewhere thus bumping you up. I had a panel of 56 people last year for a particular position. After 8 people took up an offer I struggled to get anyone else off the panel. The HSE employment process moves very slowly which frustrates many of those accustomed to the private sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭eoh70

Anyone know what the hse are like to work for? Pros/cons? Are they flexible with hours? Perks, etc.? Trying to decide if it’s worth leaving my current job for :/

Hi. I'm currently working in the HSE as a Clerical Officer.

It is a very fast paced environment. So it's important to be able to multi task. A knowledge of using databases, Excel and Word would be of benefit in the role, as well as receptionist skills would be a plus. A knowledge of the use of office equipment such as photocopiers and scanners would also help a great deal.

As regards working hours, I am currently working a 35 hour week, Monday to Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭eoh70

Thanks! How flexible are they with the hours? Do you have to do 9 - 5 or can you gig around your hours as long as you cover the 35 hours in the week?

Hi again!

I'm on a temporary contract through a recruitment agency. Unfortunately, not much flexibility in working hours, working full time Monday to Friday. Although, due to the workload involved, full time hours are very beneficial indeed. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fionabrophy101

Anyone know where hse is at with interviews? I scored only 37

• Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The HSE is huge, with clerical staff in lots of different places. Some are very flexible. Some, especially patient-facing jobs, are not flexible at all. And there are lots of different panels going on at the same time as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Hneasy

Can I ask question please? I’ve been offered part time roll with HSE - clerical officer & friends saying not to take it. Part time suits atm with small kids at home. Friends saying in years to come, if you want to go full time you can’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Hammar

It depends on your contract, if the role you've been offered is say 0.5WTE(18-20 hours a week),that is what your hours will be. If your role was to say be reevaluated down the line and it is upgraded 35 hours a week (1WTE), and you then request to increase your hours to 35, you might get the full time contract. It does happen, but it's not something you could bank on, as it would be rare enough.

You would more than likely have to look for a different Clerical role with full time hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If it suits you now, then take it.

If you want a full time job later, then look for one then.

The service you get in the part time job will count towards incremental credit if you later get a state sector job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭meath12

Would any of the clerical officer HSE jobs include hybrid working where they let you work from home any day? Got an expression of interest in the HR department in a hospital, I presume it would be all working in the hospital but ideally I’d love If there was a role in the HSE as clerical officer that involved being able to work from home some days

Advertisement