Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this a scam?

Options
  • 02-08-2022 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

hi good folks,i met this girl on a dateing site a couple of weeks ago,we sent each other emails and some pictures, i got another reply today,below,she has not asked for anything yet,money /gifts,and has also sent me some pics of her son, she said father left when she was pregnant,and no one wants to really be with a single mother in her country,i done a google image search on all the pics,nothing found,,so im putting up this email i got back today for your opionins,is it a scam or geniune?she says she does not speak english,uses google translator,she is 15 years younger than me so she says,her son is 10,anyway what do ye think........................(Im leaveing out my name)...................Nice read from you, my dear ****** ,I hope you have a good day and

everything well with you) Thank you for your reply and for your nice

photos to me. I glad you were not scared when you read story of my

life) I glad we share everything between us, we can tell each other

all our worries and happy moments and with our communication i feel

myself better, not so lonely as before. My son asked me why I smile so

much and why I am so happy last days and I told him that I found man

Internet and maybe soon I will tell him about you. I think I need get

permission from you to tell him about you now or need wait more time.Today I want share with you more about my days, my hobbies and my

interests. I think it is important to know more about each other as

when we will live together we need have something common and share our

days with pleasure with each other. I will start that I like to sleep

in during morning, I get up early very hard but I need get up early as

I always need make breakfast for my son and care about him when he

goes to school. Now he is at home as schools here closed on quarantine

when usually we wake up together early) Then I go to find work for me,

I read newspapers where I see job advertisements and I go to this

addresses in search of new work. I try every day as I need it now so

much. I always don't use public transport, at first I economy on it

and I walk a lot in during day, it helps me keep myself in good

shape.In the net cafe I go when I have free time write you, usually it

is in the morning or in during dinner time. In the evening I cook

dinner and I ate together with Andrei and we speak with each other

about everything what we had in during day. Then we watch TV and rest,

take shower and go to sleep about 22.00.It is my usual day, I hope it

helps you know me better)

As for my interests I like dance and sing songs but I don't go in

night clubs or cafe, I can sing songs when I take shower and dance

when I have a good mood at home) I don't drink alcohol and I don't

smoke, only on holidays I can drink a little wine with friends.I am

very home person and I like simple and calm life.I like animals but

here I rent one room flat and I simple can't take care about any pets.

Andrei always dreams to have little dog)

I don't do any sport, I like read romantic books and see comedy or

kind films, I listen music but it is almost all Russian or Ukrainian

songs.  As for my dislikes I hate empty promises, I think person needs

keep words or don't promise at all, I hate rudeness and impoliteness.

I don't like lies and arrogant and mean people. Please, tell me more

about your interest and your life, I want know everything about you to

image what person you are and how we can be together. Wait for your reply.........................so people whats your opinion?no smart ass replys please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,738 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have you spoke to her on camera? It looks to me like a pure scam template to entice gullible fools and you are actually talking to a bloke.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

It could be real it could be a scam, maybe she wants a greencard maybe she wants real love.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

Sorry OP its a scam.

See quotes below where this person and I say "this person" because you cant be guaranteed its a women, is laying the ground work to hit you up!!

By saying they use an internet cafe is a clear way out of having to chat via camera.

"I read newspapers where I see job advertisements and I go to this addresses in search of new work. I try every day as I need it now so much."

"In the net cafe I go when I have free time write you, usually it is in the morning or in during dinner time"

"I rent one room flat and I simple can't take care about any pets. Andrei always dreams to have little dog"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,631 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You only have photos and emails, she lives in another country, you don't speak the same language, she's poor-mouthing AND talking about living together?

Run, scam or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

"net cafe"

the template must be about 15 years old

"Please, tell me more about your interest and your life, I want know everything about you to"

Yeah. Especially the details of your bank account"

OP, if you have indeed sent photos to this person then, if you are in any way photogenic at all, they are probably being used by this person or an accomplice to bait other naive fools in a similar romance fraud attempt.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭shalom

Jeez judgment much.? The person is asking about an opinion for an email they received. NOT your opinion on what you think their mental capabilities are. I'm glad I don't have to suffer your criticism daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,285 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Now he is at home as schools here closed on quarantine

when usually we wake up together early

what countries are still closed due to quarantine? i think their template needs to be updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,190 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What's the site?

Asking for a friend

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

sounds similar to www.russianbrides.com you should know that one :P

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Looks a bit suspect, no job and maybe living in a country with an ongoing war.

• Advertisement

She listens to Russian or Ukrainian music. If she is Ukrainian, she's probably too pre-occupied with Covid restrictions to mention the oul' war.

She might be at home here if she moves and learns English and finds the boards.ie covid forum. She can give out about imaginary restrictions for the next 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Well at least she showers a lot, person hygiene cannot be taken for granted.

Any chance of your discount code? OP may need it too

For the Moscow birds, just use the code "PP" at the checkout for 25% off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

It would probably be much more practical to date someone in the same country as you. If you want to invest in this person, then call them on video camera,like others have suggested.

Yeah she’s laying the ground work for money scam- likely her “son” will get sick soon and will need an urgent operation and she can’t afford it-

Good to post these emails here OP as it gives people an insight into how victims of such scams are reeled in

Even in the poorest countries people manage to have smart phones, broadband and who the hell looks for a job in a newspaper or goes to a “net cafe”

Its a total scam- do post subsequent mails here- I think you’ll find that very quickly you’ll be asked to transfer money

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

I read two lines and said this is a scam.

You want to believe its nots, and that's how they fool people as they get you emotionally involved.

Throw it out to a forum like this and those with no emotional attachment can tell you its a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I am in love with the OPs lady and am more than willing to share all my debts with her and her son.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭zg3409

Is the person and yourself based in Ireland? If not even if it's not a scam there is lots of cultural, financial, logistical problems to overcome.

You should try date people in same country even for practical purposes such as being able to meet regularly.

If you date someone from a poor country it will be hard to determine if they are in to you for the visa/money/divorce/lifestyle or if they genuinely like you and not your passport and bank account. I know of two different country relationships that ended in marriage but both were first world countries and one met in person first not online. They chatted on video calls and both had perfect English.

Post edited by zg3409 on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,631 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'd email back and casually mention an inheritance from a dearly departed grandmother and a desire to travel over to meet her and her son.

Suggest mid-end August, that's plenty of notice as she doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Sorry dude, it's a scam of some kind. No matter how lovely you are, or how much you feel you've clicked, talking about living together before you've even had a phone call is insane.

She's setting the scene for how things are in her country, and how €50 to begin with would make an insane difference, and you'll think "€50 isn't much", and it will go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭sniperman

thanks for all comments,im not a thick cnut for starters,and i have asked her in my reply to skype me,ill post her/his response,i know some of the email is suspect,like net cafe,and wanting to live togeather already,but some of it sounds genuine also.lies maybe,ill wait and see if any money requests come,but untill then ill keep it going just to see,im not gulible or foolish,and no financail details will be given,and i dont like smelly people either,i asked for no smart ass replys,but those who give them probably cant help them selfs,anyway thanks to all geniune people for replys,ill post any more emails i get,and maybe it might help anyon else in a simular situation what to look for

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Shes already hinting at getting desperate looking for work so I wouldn't be surprised if the talk of having no money comes up soon. No harm in messaging but don't hand over any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭sniperman

ps i have said in my first ever email that im a poor simple man with nothing to give/offer,and i just get by from week to week, and the 2 pictures i sent was of me not looking my best,stuble and well worn cloths,so as for my pics being used to entice anyone else in a scam,i dought it,if the person is after money,they are by now fully aware im not a gold mine,so im awaiting the next response, ill pot it here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

@sniperman you’ll have us all stalking this thread now for updates 😂

best of luck and if it is a scam, have fun with it!!! Personally I did online dating and I loved a good catfish had great fun dragging it out with the most weird and obscene questions, but each to their own!

keep us posted

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Even if she is real it would be a scam as women in poorer countries want a man to "betabux" off, betabux means she wants to date a man for his money. This is why incels often talk about visiting South East Asia as you have a higher chance of getting women there as they want you to take them to the west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭GavPJ

OP send me your money and I'll see she gets it.

Advertisement