Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

KLM connection cancelled, can't make it in one day with them...

• 01-08-2022 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭

Lots of cancellations stuff going around, so here's another one with a slight added complication...

I'm due to fly from Cork - Amsterdam - Helsinki and back again a few days later.

Outbound:

0610 - 0900 Cork - Amsterdam KL1084

0955 - 1320 Amsterdam - Helsinki KL1167

Inbound:

1810 - 1945 Helsinki - Amsterdam KL1170

2130 - 2220 Amsterdam - Cork KL1089

This is to happen in about four weeks but yesterday the app updated and there was emails and all sorts of flashing red lights to say that the Amsterdam - Cork leg, KL1089 is cancelled. This is not the end of the world as it is their responsiblity to get me home.

But there is now no way on their booking engine (I had a quick look) to get from Helsinki - Cork in one day. It just doesn't line up. They say I can rebook/replan but I can't see any option on their app to do that without paying for it - the only option is in voluntarity changing my flights. I did have another one changed slightly recently which I didn't even know about until they emailed me new flights, but this one I haven't heard anything else.

Before I go messaging/emailing them, what are my rights here? There are options that I can see -

1) Put me on the Aer Lingus flight at about the same time. KLM probably won't really want to do this

2) Stay in Helsinki for an extra night at whose expense?

3) An option is there to take KL1170 as above, do an overnight in Amsterdam then fly home.

4) Fly me into Dublin and they pay transport down to Cork Airport.

My gut tells me I don't have to pay for an additional overnight as they have changed it and they don't have an option to get me home on the one day - ie: its their fault, they pay. But it's over two weeks away, which I think matters somehow.

Do I wait it out and see what they come up with themselves, or do I start getting in contact with them - if so, what ammunition should I bring with me, or should I suggest an option to them? Anyone had a cancellation like that, this far out? Thanks a mil. None of the usual websites seemed to deal with this specific situation.

Oh yes, and I'm only bringing hand luggage!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

To be honest I see an earlier problem, that Schiphol connection outbound is damn near impossible the way the airport is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Concur with this, a <1hr connection in Schiphol is simply impossible at the moment. You won't manage it.

Here's your rights in a nutshell:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/air_travel/compensation_for_overbooked_and_delayed_flights.html#lad67b

You're not going to get any compensation but you should get rerouting.

Honestly, I'd suggest a train to Dublin and the Finnair flight.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kelso00

I connected non Schengen to Schengen in 30 mins two weeks ago after 6 am flight out of DUB, checked bag did not make it though. Connection time on reservation was 45 mins. There was no q to scan the passport entering Schengen zone. Completely different story on the way back. Nearly an hour in q to scan the passport. This was in the morning as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

As far as I know, 4 weeks notice is considered sufficient that they won't have to offer you compensation and/or have to pay hotels/transport etc. If it was less than two weeks they would. So likely they will offer you alternative flights and if you accept them then extra overnights/transfers are all on you, other than that it will be a full refund. Your best bet is to check out alternatives via dublin/others and if they're coming in cheaper then just ask for a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Update: Notwithstanding the 55mins issue mentioned above (there are additional Amsterdam - Helsinki flights later that day so if I do miss that one due to a Schengen passport queue I'll just be delayed) all seemed to be sorted.

Both KL1170 and KL1089 are (at the moment anyway) both running on the following day, the 30th August. KLM happy to pay the extra night in a hotel in Helsinki, so basically I get an extra nights stay for free. Needless to say I won't take the proverbial and book a 5 star. But I consider an extra days holiday ok. Since they informed me more than 4 weeks before the flight, there is no compensation, but they are happy to provide me overnight accomodation since it is their fault that I have to do an additional overnight. I have to book myself and them claim the costs of the additional night back.

For what its worth, after checking myself what options were available (flights the next day, booking with Aer Lingus, some weird and wonderful alternate routing) I messaged them on their whatsapp contact, went through the AI bits and was told I'd be transferred to a customer service agent... not more than 15 minutes later I had a reply from them telling me they were happy with rebooking me onto the flights the next day.

Just waiting for them to actually book it and send out a new reservation. So the delays/cancellations suck, but they're not desperate.

Edit: Updated and in the app already. Have to say thats great customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭PreCocious

I was in a vaguely similar situation with my outbound from Cork to Amsterdam cancelled and automatically rebooked onto a later flight that arrived hours after the onward connection.

I rang them and they offered to put me on a later flight from Amsterdam but asked "would this be a bit late for you?" I said yes and asked could I be rebooked for the same flights a day earlier. No problem. Done and dusted in 6 minutes (and the agent made sure I had the confirmation email before finishing the call).

I've found KLM good to deal with over the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

I had a flight to Luxemboug cancelled on both legs of the Amsterdam-Lux side and they re routed me through CDG which was a nightmare so i had to cancel, get a refund and i flew direct from Dublin instead but they were great to deal with in fairness.

Just in case anyone was interested this all worked out absolutely fine.

Friday morning at 8am I arrived in Schiphol on the flight from Cork. Had to get into the Schengen area to get to my Helsinki flight. It looked like there was a big queue at passport control but they had people checking to see whether you had an EU passport and if you did, off to the E-Gates with you. I had seen the E-Gates and thought they were closed, but the four open ones were partially blocked by a pillar so I just didn't see them. I just walked up to them and there was no-one, and I mean not one single other person, waiting. Connected in about 30 minutes max, but I did notice quite the queue coming in the opposite direction (Schengen to non Schengen). That was back to the bottom of the escalators.

On the way back (Tuesday evening) there was no queue from Schengen to non Schengen. Max 2 or 3 minute wait at the E-Gates. Connected again, in about 30 - 40 minutes max only because the Helsinki - Amsterdam flight dropped us at D86 which is a million miles away from anywhere.

So overall, absolutely fine but I wouldn't travel with hold luggage still.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Gimme a shot.

I thought Schiphol’s problem was security.

Once the OP lands airside he/she only has to clear Schengen then pop off to the next gate. In 2015 I used AMS to fly to PEK and it was very easy to connect in.

Afraid you're a bit behind the times there! It all worked out for me.

Security is still a problem at Schiphol but it does seem to be improving. The passport control between connecting flights (Non-schengen to Schengen and vice-versa) is still a bit of an unknown.

Ideally I'd give 1h30m for connection which gives you plenty of time plus a buffer - but I do have to do a 1h15m later in the year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement