Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hitachi Ex135 undercarriage

Options
  • 31-07-2022 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi. I have got a new set of chains for my 135. I knew that I had a lot of up/down movement on my idlers (20mm) so when I removed both, I have both wear on the idler and also wear on the digger guide where the idler slides in. My idlers are fine other than the wear on the guide,

my question is if I replace both idlers, I will still have to build up the digger guide slot, which I don’t know how to go about ?

my question is could I weld plates on both idlers and digger guide.

I honestly don’t want to spend a lot more money on new idlers and welder etc.

can anyone give me advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

We've done this on a few diggers now and some have been successful and others not so successful. The old EX's had a tendency to begin to spread the idler housing if left with a lot of play for a long time. The newer ZX's don't suffer as much as this part has been strengthened.

First thing is use a MIG welder, better longer lasting weld. Build up as much of the chassis guides as possible with hard wearing plates. As opposed to building up the idler which will wear chassis guides and get you in more bother further down the line. Don't make it too tight also by building it up too much as this will spread the chassis.

And lastly, you mention 20mm of play. I assume this is taken from under the idler to the chassis guides when all weight is on the digger. We have had them where it would be pushing 60mm (3 fingers ) of play in there so yours isn't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Matty6270

I bought new idlers today, but I still need to build up the digger housing. I will just use the mig on it, but I don’t know what you me by using hard wearing plates, I won’t be adding any plate, just weld

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

We've used bits of offcuts from plough shares,pads,cutting edges etc and ground them to suit the shape. Then mig welded them into the chassis guide.

Weld by itself is not hard wearing enough in there. Within a month the play will be back if the digger is doing normal work.

Advertisement